Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Thirdfox wrote: »

What's everyone else wearing for the first day of 2021?

This is something hopefully that will be seen in 2022-23 if it passes all tests - ignore the case, dial etc. etc. - this is purely a movement testing sample... But Hangzhou being the nice guys they are - were able to incorporate the Sólás S into the co-axial tourbillon cage (not a carrousel I believe)... that won't be the only "trick" we have up our sleeves though - model 3 hopefully should be a really good foundation for our Lir repeater model - but testing needs to be conducted now if I'm going to go ahead with a tourbillon model that I'd be happy to release to customers.

I'm wearing my Stowa no-date/branding automatic flieger that I bought from Micks-address. See pic I posted earlier.

Don't want start an argument but are the public (customers) clamouring for a tourbillon? It always struck me as a solution to a problem that no longer exists and as such is an interesting but utterly useless complication in this day and age.
    I'm probably missing the point but to me it's like all those people who want to climb Mount Everest even though it's been done numerous times already and is now just an item on certain people's bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

david wrote: »
    Some nice watch related gifts this year from the other half, a new strap tool

Is that the Bergeon 7767-S? Got one myself a few months ago, although yours looks slightly different in the middle. Makes a big difference compared to the cheap Chinese ones I was using before (and I was not going to try those on a Rolex)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭redlead

Thirdfox wrote: »
    i.imgur.comh.g

But Hangzhou being the nice guys they are - were able to incorporate the Sólás S into the co-axial tourbillon cage (not a carrousel I believe)... .

I think that releasing your own Tourbillon with the Solas S incorporated into the co axial cage would quite possibly be the biggest horological F you to all the "comic sans" naysayers out there!

On a side note, when are we going to get to see the dive watch thats number 2 or is that on hold until delivery of the starlight?

Don't forget the spring drive :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

unkel wrote: »
    Is that the Bergeon 7767-S? Got one myself a few months ago, although yours looks slightly different in the middle. Makes a big difference compared to the cheap Chinese ones I was using before (and I was not going to try those on a Rolex)
    It’s the previous model 6767F from Amazon US store. Been wanting to upgrade for a while and herself was looking for stocking filler ideas.

I actually haven’t tried the fork yet just the push pin end for micro adjusting. Seems pretty surgical and the replaceable threaded tips are a good design. Had a cheapo one I got in one of those €15 watch tool kits off eBay which left its mark on the lugs of my old seikos. Broke two of the tips and they kept slipping out of the clamp even after tightening it with a vice grip.

Might treat the Stowa to a new hand stitched strap and give her a whirl.

The leather watch roll is from a guy in Switzerland who designed the Phase de Lune cases and since went out on his own. Carapaz is the brand. Relatively well priced, I didn’t want PU leather and the design seemed better than the Everest ones for similar coin.

I think she had it shipped to the her place in Florida to avoid the VAT and customs duty. Seems like such a waste of resources shipping it to the other side of the world only to bring it back again. The tax free allowance is way higher in USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Thirdfox very Superman's chest the design :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

unkel wrote: »
    Don't forget the spring drive :p
    There's an electric motor at each corner of your EV, and some serious control electronics. Is there heart/soul/ character with the EV or just economy and performance. Why so hard on an electronic watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,022 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Wearing the VC today

jgxZmml.jpg

QMdJFPY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I want that VC....drool

That looks good on you Cyrus. Very manly watch.
    njburke wrote: »
    There's an electric motor at each corner of your EV, and some serious control electronics. Is there heart/soul/ character with the EV or just economy and performance. Why so hard on an electronic watch?

Watch to me is mostly decorative. It's the only piece of jewelry that I wear, I don't even wear my wedding ring. No tattoos or piercings either. Short hair, no beard, moustache or stubble. It's the only thing I got :p

As everyone else, I carry a phone with me which will be more accurate than any mechanical or quartz watch, spring drive ones included.

The car has just one electric motor, not 4 :D Family car is completely different, it is mostly function, form, economy and performance. Plenty of fun too with a Tesla Performance model :D Other car is a Porsche with a lot more heart / soul / character but it's mainly off the road as I rarely need a second car. Contemplating converting it to electric too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I have access to a camera with 15k magnification - would be interesting to get the GS under it for a really close up look.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This today. Hanging out with fish well past being fresh. Humming in the new year. :)

537934.jpg

Only just realised I don't currently have a mechanical watch with a date function. :eek:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Unkle, didn't know you had a Porsche as well, and was way off on the way tesla drive train.
    I was outbid on an Ultronic diver at £330 this week, pepsi dialled not as nice as wibbs. There's a 2mm index wheel with 20 micron teeth in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

saccades wrote: »
    I have access to a camera with 15k magnification - would be interesting to get the GS under it for a really close up look.

"Ugh those electrons aren't even lined up properly" :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was outbid on an Ultronic diver at £330 this week, pepsi dialled not as nice as wibbs.
    The orange bezel version? They're more usual to see and a few Longines divers had a similar orange bezel, the grey/green less seen. I heard tell there's a blue bezel version, but I've never seen one myself. 330 quid is a very good price for one if that was the final bid. I've seen dead ones with fecked up dials going for that. Around eight to ten years ago a few "big collectors" on different forums bought and raved about the quality of them and prices went rapidly north. Good ones in working order run between 800-1200 in auctions, add 500 for dealers, so 1700-2000 on chrono24(though that's an arena for price gougers IMHO)
    There's a 2mm index wheel with 20 micron teeth in them.
    Yeah, mad for mid 20th century tech and manufacturing. How the index wheel and jewelled pawls were produced is still a trade secret. This is a short vid on the Accutron.

The movement in the Longines diver the ESA 9162 was an evolution of that made in Switzerland when the original Swiss inventor got the bum's rush from Bulova with his updated design.

537940.jpg

Omega bought in most of them for their f300 series of watches. Cleverly putting them up for chronometer status because of a loophole at the time, knowing full well they'd fly that test. Up there for thinking :D They're also found in IWC, Zenith, Tissot, Certina and a couple of other marques of the time. There is also a chronograph version, which Bulova apparently did want to see if NASA would look at them again for flight status but... Bulova did well out of it though as they were paid a cut on each movement sold as they held a few patents on the tech.

537941.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The eBay hammer dropped at £331. Running and looked ok, I was kicking myself afterwards, like I said it's your coloway the I like most. I've found if you get a good deal on a price, the seller can come back with some story that he dropped it whilst packing it, I've had that a couple of times.

Heres the watch.
    537946.jpg

From what I read Bulova supplied the index wheels to other manufacturers, and at the end of the production run they deliberately destroyed the tooling for the wheels.

Here's a link to Tuning fork patents, lots of omega patents, the IP for your Ultronic.
    The omega 1972 speedsonic chronograph patent is there.
    https://www.accutrons.com/tuning-fork-watch-patents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Fitz II wrote: »
    Thirdfox very Superman's chest the design :D .

“It means hope in the language of my people” ...or at least comfort/solace... :D

The eBay hammer dropped at £331. Running and looked ok, I was kicking myself afterwards, like I said it's your coloway the I like most.
    Now I see why it didn't go higher NJ. The Bezel is wrong and good luck trying to find an original bezel for one. Still working movements go for over a hundred quid and if someone already had one with a bad dial/hands that one would have been worth a punt alright.
    I've found if you get a good deal on a price, the seller can come back with some story that he dropped it whilst packing it, I've had that a couple of times.
    I've heard that before, so far I've been lucky* touches wood*

Thanks for the list of patent PDFs. :) The Longines ultraquartz ones are interesting and I've not seen them before.

I don't really own this Swatch.

537999.JPG

My wife has her eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Not the sharpest shot of the Speedy's lume, but it also shows the effect of the hesalite glass.

tfk887f.jpg

This picture has been at the top of my stairs for so long, I had kind of forgotten it was there. I can't remember where I got it, but it was framed by the guys in Phibsborough, who did a top class job. (For those of you with an interest in such things, that's the original 1929 stairs and timber work. Even the stairs itself was hand made.)

CCdwl8c.jpg

Finally, one for Wibbs and those interested in trench watches and all that: this is a 1914 Waltham watch, with a shrapnel guard. It's in the A Man and his Watch book.

bMDNHpX.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭redlead

That trench watch kind of makes a G shock seem a bit tame doesn't it. I have that book myself, it's really nice to flick through now and again.

From Russia with love.

538104.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A Feiko Black Bay mod to kill some lockdown time. Complete with faux patina, but genuine dust and scratches on the dial as I am lazy and heavy handed. The Seiko jubilee bracelet feels very cheap, nearly like something from a $10 watch bought on a beach in Lanzarote, I think I will find something different to put it on.

50795154652_4b3217e636_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm debating having a "little" bit of work done to my Accutron Astronaut and I'm hoping that the wise heads here can give me a sanity check.

I love the piece, and tbh part of what I like is it's age and patina.
    That said the lume is completely shot and there is some missing from the hands.
    It's affecting the legibility is a big way,

Would I be mad to get a sympathetic relume done?
    Faux aged lume, with appropriate colour of course rather than going with superluminova :pac:

https://ibb.co/N2RQTF4

N2RQTF4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm debating having a "little" bit of work done to my Accutron Astronaut and I'm hoping that the wise heads here can give me a sanity check.

I love the piece, and tbh part of what I like is it's age and patina.
    That said the lume is completely shot and there is some missing from the hands.
    It's affecting the legibility is a big way,

Would I be mad to get a sympathetic relume done?
    Faux aged lume, with appropriate colour of course rather than going with superluminova :pac:

https://ibb.co/N2RQTF4

N2RQTF4

I'd be very careful.

A new crystal might do more for it.

Why not leave the dial as is, and perhaps get some service hands and see how that grabs you? You can always go back.

I'd not be too concerned at the value of the piece, but the last thing you want is for it to come back looking like it has had a 'makeover'!

It is a classic piece and should look the part, IMHO.

Casio 5208 Solar for when the going gets tough.

538227.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Always look forward to getting home,putting up my feet and relaxing with some watches :)

Uz8cuJ1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Same would have tried to source one. My black Batman cave would have worked perfectly with it

I got a response from Sinn about the clock this morning. They will be available by the end of February and they are taking pre orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I got a response from Sinn about the clock this morning. They will be available by the end of February and they are taking pre orders.

Defo ordering that!

Edit: ordered, it says delivery 1-2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭banie01

One for the Rolex folk here.
    Need a steer and an idea of value, usual Rolex "fears" in play.
    Is it a gen 116334? What's it worth with no papers and only a watch register cert as provenance?
    I've traded with the guy who contacted me re this one before, but the Spidey senses are tingling on this.

HOHlLeh_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Advertisement