Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

Defo ordering that!

Edit: ordered, it says delivery 1-2 weeks

Do you have a link for ordering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

hitemfrank wrote: »

Interesting that the delivery time has changed to 6 weeks. I presume mine will end up being that based on what you were told on the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Finally, a Sinn without a date.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

hitemfrank wrote: »
    That's a pretty fancy piece of kit for the money imho.
    banie01 wrote: »
    One for the Rolex folk here.
    Need a steer and an idea of value, usual Rolex "fears" in play.
    Is it a gen 116334? What's it worth with no papers and only a watch register cert as provenance?
    I've traded with the guy who contacted me re this one before, but the Spidey senses are tingling on this.
    TBH B what with the amount and "quality" level of fakery and put togethers out there and the crazy prices at the moment the only Rolex I'd be comfortable with would be an old well known family piece or one bought from a Rolex AD.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

One for the Rolex folk here.
    Need a steer and an idea of value, usual Rolex "fears" in play.
    Is it a gen 116334? What's it worth with no papers and only a watch register cert as provenance?
    I've traded with the guy who contacted me re this one before, but the Spidey senses are tingling on this.

Any other photos? The Rolex crown at 12 looks wonkey on the lower left, the magnification of the cyclops looks low and I cant find another one in a minutes search with a lume at 9. But all these may be fine...other photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fitz II wrote: »
    Any other photos? The Rolex crown at 12 looks wonkey on the lower left, the magnification of the cyclops looks low and I cant find another one in a minutes search with a lume at 9. But all these may be fine...other photos?

Yeah that's what struck me as odd, the mix of Roman and baton.
    https://m.imgur.com/a/7xFhNYJ

I'm waiting on some tagged movement pics to be sent on but I'm giving this one a wide berth I think.
    Anyway my IWC has been located in Leipzig and should be with me tmrw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

How much did he want for that Rolex Banie?

Birneybau wrote: »
    How much did he want for that Rolex Banie?

€5.5k negotiable but seems for condition and provenance not a great deal esp considering the risk inherent.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,319 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€5.5k negotiable but seems for condition and provenance not a great deal esp considering the risk inherent.

I have no idea of the values of vintage Rolex watches. But would you really pay €5.5k to put that on your wrist?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I have no idea of the values of vintage Rolex watches. But would you really pay €5.5k to put that on your wrist?

No, but that's where the negotiable comes in surely? :P

I'd make him wish he listed on adverts :pac:

I'm not a fan of datejust in any case so I wouldn't miss it either way.
    The only dress watch I'll ever own is likely to be the Sólás ;) or my astronaut on leather.

Other than that it's divers and sports all the way for me :)

No, but that's where the negotiable comes in surely? :P

I'd make him wish he listed on adverts :pac:

I'm not a fan of datejust in any case so I wouldn't miss it either way.
    The only dress watch I'll ever own is likely to be the Sólás ;) or my astronaut on leather.

Other than that it's divers and sports all the way for me :)

If you don't like it and won't wear it, then you are just buying it as an investment or to flip it. Nothing wrong with either, but you will need to make damn sure you got the figures right!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thats not vintage, its the 40mm Datejust

It looks knackered and ancient to me. Some people use the word vintage for that :pac:

It looks knackered and ancient to me. Some people use the word vintage for that :pac:

its probably 5 years old :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Was looking at that Sinn wall clock there, read it as "Sanitised case". This Covid lark is melting my brain.

Capture.png

Yeah that's what struck me as odd, the mix of Roman and baton.
    https://m.imgur.com/a/7xFhNYJ

I'm waiting on some tagged movement pics to be sent on but I'm giving this one a wide berth I think.
    Anyway my IWC has been located in Leipzig and should be with me tmrw :D

On those photos it looks better. They are not flattering photos, but thats ok I think it looks solid looking at them. I have not seen that dial configuration before and its a goodish price on a 6 digit 36mm. Datejusts do not photo well and the fluted bezels look muck in photos but spectacular IRL.

Still if there is any doubt for that money you will get one with a better dial, the asymmetry of that one give me anxiety,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

If it’s a six digit datejust it ain’t vintage! Is that the actual ref number banie?

Edit just sent the link with images. Seems to be new looking clasp so assume 6 digit. It’s been worn anyway...

Datejust are hard to date. Design ain’t changed a lot in 50 years and there are a million dial variations.

On those photos it looks better. They are not flattering photos, but thats ok I think it looks solid looking at them. I have not seen that dial configuration before and its a goodish price on a 6 digit 36mm. Datejusts do not photo well and the fluted bezels look muck in photos but spectacular IRL.

Still if there is any doubt for that money you will get one with a better dial, the asymmetry of that one give me anxiety,

this is the lad, im assuming its 40mm / 41mm

https://www.markworthingtonjewellers.co.uk/rolex-datejust-ii-116334-black-roman-numeral-dial.html

thats how it looks prior to being run throught a cement mixer anyway :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    this is the lad, im assuming its 40mm / 41mm

https://www.markworthingtonjewellers.co.uk/rolex-datejust-ii-116334-black-roman-numeral-dial.html

thats how it looks prior to being run throught a cement mixer anyway :D

Thanks for that Cyrus!
    Some difference between a fresh example and the one I've posted!

Nice to put my dial query to rest too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Hope I'm in the right thread for posting pics of our watches.:rolleyes:

538411.JPG

Thanks for that Cyrus!
    Some difference between a fresh example and the one I've posted!

Nice to put my dial query to rest too.

If its a 41mm then that is a good price no doubt.

Now back to admiring the seikos and casios.....

If its a 41mm then that is a good price no doubt.

True, but the more I think about it the less it's one for me.
    Deffo needs a decent polish and likely hasn't been serviced since it was bought so the total cost is too high for my liking anyway :(
    Now back to admiring the seikos and casios.....

With a bit of luck DHL will be dropping me a little piece of IWC loveliness tmrw.
    Also, and I don't know how!
    It's not raised any customs charge ;)
    Must be because they lost it for 6 fecking weeks!

893bet wrote: »
    If it’s a six digit datejust it ain’t vintage! Is that the actual ref number banie?

Edit just sent the link with images. Seems to be new looking clasp so assume 6 digit. It’s been worn anyway...

Datejust are hard to date. Design ain’t changed a lot in 50 years and there are a million dial variations.

I don't know how, and apologies but I completely missed your post.
    Sorry.
    Thanks for the steer :)
    It's an 116334, Cyrus has filled me in on the rest of the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭furiousox

This beastie arrived yesterday.
    A lot bigger than my speedy but it actually fits my 7" wrist fine.
    Will probably change the leather strap to the NASA one, other than that v happy with it! :D

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

True, but the more I think about it the less it's one for me.
    Deffo needs a decent polish and likely hasn't been serviced since it was bought so the total cost is too high for my liking anyway :(

With a bit of luck DHL will be dropping me a little piece of IWC loveliness tmrw.
    Also, and I don't know how!
    It's not raised any customs charge ;)
    Must be because they lost it for 6 fecking weeks!

Even with a service and polish the price is ok I think. It’s unlikely to need a service.

6.3 euro would still be ok good money and have the watch as good as new after service. And that’s assuming you can’t get him down from 5.5k.

Hard to know how bad condition it from pictures. Same as pictures can hide condition they can also make it look a lot worse that it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Just on the Sinn wall clock, I’m near certain I read that the atomic clock function doesn’t work on it here when I was trying to get one previously. Can’t find anything about it now though and there is a slight chance I might have confused it with a posting on a us forum.

Just on the Sinn wall clock, I’m near certain I read that the atomic clock function doesn’t work on it here when I was trying to get one previously. Can’t find anything about it now though and there is a slight chance I might have confused it with a posting on a us forum.

It's a quartz. Does it matter?

That said, my mechanical Deepsea automatic is keeping better time than my Deepsea quartz wall clock from China :p
    I guess if you really want to know the exact time, almost all watches and clocks are useless and you will have to check your phone or your computer :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a quartz. Does it matter?

That said, my mechanical Deepsea automatic is keeping better time than my Deepsea quartz wall clock from China :p
    I guess if you really want to know the exact time, almost all watches and clocks are useless and you will have to check your phone or your computer :eek:
    :D wouldn't surprise me. That can be a fallacy with quartz and you regularly read especially from those who don't get expensive mechanical watches(though sometimes even from those who do) that "a 20 quid quartz will be more accurate than a 10k Rolex". The technology difference between them potentially can be, but not always, or even as often as thought. Just like there'll be a wide difference between a cheap lever action movement and an Omega chronometer movement, the same applies to quartz. A 5 quid plastic no jewel quartz is a world away from a high precision quartz like you'd find in say the Grand Seiko, or the current(and past) Longines VHP. Very different animals. Of my stable of vintage quartz, my Seiko calculator from 78 would be lucky to be under a minute or maybe even two per year accuracy, whereas my two Longines VHP's would be under a minute every five years. Big difference. The Omega Marine Chronometer quartz from the 1970's was around 12 seconds per year which as they noted at the time was the same range as John Harrison's portable marine chronometers. That Harrison's purely mechanical and portable movements could attain such accuracy is unreal. And do it in the 18th century. :eek: His large clocks could better that again. One newly built from original plans example was bang to the second of atomic time after a year.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Ryath

Reception is not quite as good as UK but it should still work. Can depend on local geography and where it's in the house though.
    800px-Dcf_weite.jpg

Advertisement