Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

unkel wrote: »
    I
    I guess if you really want to know the exact time, almost all watches and clocks are useless and you will have to check your phone or your computer :eek:
    I have an old iphone 5 and for the craic and cos I'm mad, I left it running plugged in but in standalone no network airplane mode for a month and it was nearly 20 seconds adrift in that time. :eek:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Just on the Sinn wall clock, I’m near certain I read that the atomic clock function doesn’t work on it here when I was trying to get one previously. Can’t find anything about it now though and there is a slight chance I might have confused it with a posting on a us forum.

It tries to connect to a signal sent from Frankfurt and has about 1500km range so in theory it should be okay for Ireland.

I wonder why I've looked into it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have an old iphone 5 and for the craic and cos I'm mad, I left it running plugged in but in standalone no network airplane mode for a month and it was nearly 20 seconds adrift in that time. :eek:

The real time clock (RTC) in a iphone is known to loose 1 to 8 seconds a day is not very accurate but has very low voltage requirements, its not quartz accurate nor is it designed to be thats why the phone syncs to the server/network to correct the error every few hours.

The clock IN your iphone is not very accurate but the time on your iphone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Wibbs wrote: »
    :D wouldn't surprise me. That can be a fallacy with quartz and you regularly read especially from those who don't get expensive mechanical watches(though sometimes even from those who do) that "a 20 quid quartz will be more accurate than a 10k Rolex". The technology difference between them potentially can be, but not always, or even as often as thought. Just like there'll be a wide difference between a cheap lever action movement and an Omega chronometer movement, the same applies to quartz. A 5 quid plastic no jewel quartz is a world away from a high precision quartz like you'd find in say the Grand Seiko, or the current(and past) Longines VHP. Very different animals. Of my stable of vintage quartz, my Seiko calculator from 78 would be lucky to be under a minute or maybe even two per year accuracy, whereas my two Longines VHP's would be under a minute every five years. Big difference. The Omega Marine Chronometer quartz from the 1970's was around 12 seconds per year which as they noted at the time was the same range as John Harrison's portable marine chronometers. That Harrison's purely mechanical and portable movements could attain such accuracy is unreal. And do it in the 18th century. :eek: His large clocks could better that again. One newly built from original plans example was bang to the second of atomic time after a year.

I dunno, reckon my €75 Casio Wave Ceptor keeps better time than any 10k Rolex or Longines VHP for that matter.

I dunno, reckon my €75 Casio Wave Ceptor keeps better time than any 10k Rolex or Longines VHP for that matter.

At your age every second counts :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    At your age every second counts :pac::pac::pac:

And every €.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

hitemfrank wrote: »
    It tries to connect to a signal sent from Frankfurt and has about 1500km range so in theory it should be okay for Ireland.

I wonder why I've looked into it :pac:

It might be that it didn’t have the ability to adjust the time by an hour and keep sync with the atomic clock to allow for our time difference.

I don’t care either way, manual setting will do me!

Edit: knew I wasn’t imaging it! Post 8 on this:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/sinn-857-wall-clocks.4652921/

And every €.

Sure you cant take it with you :p, and Rolex is the least expensive watch you can own. You should get one, feel what they are about and if you dont like it after a few years flog it for 500 more than you bought it for tax free wasting chattel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

unkel wrote: »
    It's a quartz. Does it matter?

That said, my mechanical Deepsea automatic is keeping better time than my Deepsea quartz wall clock from China :p
    I guess if you really want to know the exact time, almost all watches and clocks are useless and you will have to check your phone or your computer :eek:

That’s was one thing I couldn’t get my head around before buying my first automatic. Why pay more for less accuracy! I’ve got over it though, don’t even set the date some times :D

Sure you cant take it with you :p, and Rolex is the least expensive watch you can own. You should get one, feel what they are about and if you dont like it after a few years flog it for 500 more than you bought it for tax free wasting chattel.

Yeah some people say the same about bitcoins.

• Advertisement

Yeah some people say the same about bitcoins.

Cant wear and enjoy a bitcoin....although crypto did buy me one of my watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Cant wear and enjoy a bitcoin....although crypto did buy me one of my watches.

In 2017 it bought my triple glazing, paid off my car loan ;)

It's an awful affliction tho, I sold out of everything to cash a few weeks ago.
    I was up, made a nice profit but if I'd kept the positions just a bit longer...
    Profit would 400% rather than the paltry 50% I banked.
    It has more than paid for the current crop of watches too.

Still I'm now waiting for the next crash to buy all over again.

The RTC in an iPhone was originally a quartz oscillator (same as most RTCs). Less accurate than the typical quartz watch (since it is of little importance) but quartz nonetheless.

They changed to a MEMS oscillator around I think the iPhone 6 or 7. If you put one of these iPhones in a helium atmosphere, the helium (which has tiny molecules and has a habit of crossing airtight barriers) gets into the MEMS cavities and screws up the oscillator, crashing the phone.

Seiko & Pentax, a marriage made in heaven.

538514.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Wow, we are getting very Artsy in here of late :D

@ Cycling,

Beaut of a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

First day back to work (well paid work!) after 3 weeks off to the day for Xmas.

5-B500-D1-A-AD86-4-BA7-AAB1-A1-A61-D56-C35-F.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

My second 'waiting for the starlight' watch. Also just my second watch :P

smart.jpg

This has been almost 8 weeks in transit, 7 of them lost somewhere in bowels of DHL.
    It got here yesterday, and it's why my Steinhart had to be moved on ;)
    The Mrs wasn't at all impressed, especially considering the surprise watch she'd sprung on me for Xmas.

It's a 2012 IWC 387802 and it feels huge! But wears smaller than I expected if that makes any sense?

Anyway it's cheered me up no end :)

MVIMG-20210107-114400.jpg
    upload picture to get url

• Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lovely watch! i had one before, the ardoise dial is a beauty.

Cyrus wrote: »
    lovely watch! i had one before, the ardoise dial is a beauty.

Absolutely, the colour seems so simple but changes every time I look at it.
    I've been playing with its reflections all morning and the starburst is bloody lovely!

• Advertisement

Banie....that IWC is lovely, love the dial. Its a two reg chrono too so wibbs will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

That’s lovely Banie.

Well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Speedie in the snow.

tFwoRr.jpg

Not its natural environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Arrived today, always liked the ProTrek range from Casio even if I don't have a clue how it works :D

nLe6U3o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

banie01 wrote: »
    In 2017 it bought my triple glazing, paid off my car loan ;)

It's an awful affliction tho, I sold out of everything to cash a few weeks ago.
    I was up, made a nice profit but if I'd kept the positions just a bit longer...
    Profit would 400% rather than the paltry 50% I banked.
    It has more than paid for the current crop of watches too.

Still I'm now waiting for the next crash to buy all over again.

I'm currently sitting on 2,300 % profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

Seiko build back from Neil with Dave from these parts Crafter blue strap fitted. Very comfy.

EB844-B7-C-73-DE-45-F9-A0-C9-53-B18-E6-B7-B17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Roue TPS

IMG-20210107-140457-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Seiko build back from Neil with Dave from these parts Crafter blue strap fitted. Very comfy.

Well wear! I'm a huge fan of the Crafter Blue with that colourway. Looks the business.

Hairy Clarke's watch.

538777.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

50i4oXtl.jpeg

Advertisement