Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Nothing fancy today. As reliable as they get I suppose!

SCJiQt3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

539915.jpg

539916.jpg

Blue croc strap is the same colour as the face and bezel and looks great. It's definitely the change I needed and feels incredibly light. Although I do like the heaviness of the steel strap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

Not a fan personally but I don’t think them pics are showing it’s best.

Like that PO though!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

893bet wrote: »
    Not a fan personally but I don’t think them pics are showing it’s best.

Like that PO though!

Yeh the camera work is exceptionally poor... but each to their own, I'll leave on for a while then inevitably flip back to the steel.

I really wanted to get the blue one that Omega do with the deployment clasp I just need to find the right place to get it from

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lurching wrote: »
    Wearing this old girl today.
    Wearing smart watch way too much lately. Nice to go analogue again for a while.

There's an orange Tag just like that on adverts. It's not yours is it? Nice looking watch.

Are those F1 bezels plastic or metal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

fat bloke wrote: »
    There's an orange Tag just like that on adverts. It's not yours is it? Nice looking watch.

Are those F1 bezels plastic or metal?

No, not my one.

It's a metal bezel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A lume shot of the new to me IWC.
    Very legible, damn nice IMO and a watch that is taking more and more time on my wrist from other pieces.

IMG-20210118-221811.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moved off topic posts to chit chat thread. Pics from now on thanks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

banie01 wrote: »
    Very legible, damn nice IMO and a watch that is taking more and more time on my wrist from other pieces.

Hi Banie, I may have missed it but have you posted a pic of the watch in the light?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Say what you like about a Ceramic Sub, its may very well be the perfect sports watch. Been wearing it this week so far They wear so good, will take any hardship and even in rag order will wipe its own face on resale. Personally I like the strong step in bracelet taper. Is it boring and oft copied....certainly, but above criticism as a one and done. Name another watch so versatile and hitting all the common metric for what a quality watch should do.

PXL-20210119-132833322-PORTRAIT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Legibility is an increasingly key thing I look for in a watch, so my eye has been recently drawn to pilot watches like Laco and Stowa and Archimede etc. What model IWC is that? The lime looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

Legibility is an increasingly key thing I look for in a watch, so my eye has been recently drawn to pilot watches like Laco and Stowa and Archimede etc. What model IWC is that? The lime looks great.

This is probably my most legible watch

DFB6-F6-BB-C7-E8-42-EB-BEF0-D550-F6824-C49.jpg

It's a 387802 chrono.
    It's daylight guise is pictured a little earlier in the thread.

Speedy is probably mine. That Stowa is quite classy looking. They've a nice spectrum of watches, do Stowa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Legibility is an increasingly key thing I look for in a watch, so my eye has been recently drawn to pilot watches like Laco and Stowa and Archimede etc.

I'm not sure if it's a sign that I'm getting old, and/or my eyesight is failing but ease of legibility was a key criterion in my last two purchases.

After having a triple-date Speedmaster with multiple hands, indices and markings and a vintage gold coloured dial Oyster Perpetual with gold indices and hands, sometimes simply telling the time took longer than it really should. If it takes more than a glance, then the watch isn't fit for purpose imo.

Very pleased with the replacements and they require no deciphering!

m-IMG-20200904-154119-01.jpg
    m-IMG-20201226-170735.jpg

It's definitely an age thing ! I had a two-tone Datejust which I loved, but was hard enough to read for me.

Lovely replacements. I've been humming and hawing over a Seamaster 300 like that for years, but the more I see them, the more I like them.
    eljono wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's a sign that I'm getting old, and/or my eyesight is failing but ease of legibility was a key criterion in my last two purchases.

After having a triple-date Speedmaster with multiple hands, indices and markings and a vintage gold coloured dial Oyster Perpetual with gold indices and hands, sometimes simply telling the time took longer than it really should. If it takes more than a glance, then the watch isn't fit for purpose imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

eljono wrote: »

Damn Eljono that globemaster is sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fitz II wrote: »

indeed, looked at one strongly before, ended up going for a dj41 in blue instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I bought this mesh bracelet from Amazon last week for €17 and have put it on my Seiko quartz.
    Very comfortable but the clasp is pretty tinny.

540015.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What's it like when you turn off the lights? I think lume, or lack of it rather, and low light legibility is one of the most important things I look for in a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Fitz II wrote: »

Thanks Fitz, it took me a while to decide on it but very pleased with it so far.
    Cyrus wrote: »
    indeed, looked at one strongly before, ended up going for a dj41 in blue instead.

A DJ was my first thought to replace the OP. Beautiful watch on the wrist but after trying one in Hartmanns, it didn't feel right for me. So this is the two year journey that led me to the GM.

DJ seemed like the obvious choice to replace OP but it just didn't suit me. Price was a factor too, I needed to love it to justify it.
    m-IMG-20190406-094045-01.jpg

I then tried on this lovely Explorer II and hummed and hawed over it. I liked it a lot but I was after a dressy watch so discounted it. TBH at the price it was going for, I really should have snapped it up, they're listed for significantly more now and I've long wanted a GMT. I regret this one...
    m-IMG-20190406-115158.jpg

Since first learning about the GS Snowflake, I've lusted after one. Tried this one in Weirs and thought it was a smashing piece. The dial is amazing, love the Spring Drive tech, watch felt nice and light, but lack of lume was an issue for me. Even though I was after a dressy watch, it would get worn a lot and I wanted something that had good legibility when the lights go down too.
    m-IMG-20190413-162747.jpg

Then passing time in Madrid airport I tried on the white dial GM with leather strap and loved it. I'm a bit of an Omega fanboy anyway, but the co-axial movement, tungsten carbide bezel and pie-pan dial were really interesting features and nailed the dressy, good lume, accurate timekeeping brief I had set. Bonus feature was the quick-set hour hand which makes changing timezones much easier. Not really an issue now though in Covid-times...
    m-IMG-20191213-082120-01.jpg

Once decided, next step was to choose between blue and white dials. My wife had the final say on this one, I would have been happy with either :) Have to say though that the blue dial is lovely and really comes alive under different lights.
    m-IMG-20200125-103733.jpg

I bought this mesh bracelet from Amazon last week for €17 and have put it on my Seiko quartz.

Looks very well.
    I've been very tempted by similar for both my IWC and my astronaut.
    May spend some time on AliExpress later to track down an 18 and 21 for some cheap experimentation.

The Kreisler strap on the Accutron is lovely, it's comfortable but I need to replace a springbar in the clasp that keeps popping and I just haven't gotten around to sourcing the extra narrow gauge pins I need yet.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Hi Banie, I may have missed it but have you posted a pic of the watch in the light?

Here ya go :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115836773&postcount=799

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

That’s a really great write up of your journey Eljono.
    I don’t think you would have gone wrong on any of the watches you looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

fat bloke wrote: »
    What's it like when you turn off the lights? I think lume, or lack of it rather, and low light legibility is one of the most important things I look for in a watch.

I have several of the German brands. The Archimede is the best lume of them. I'll post pictures of them over the next few days. Here's my Fortis Spacematic.

540049.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Out for a walk in the rain last night with my Steninhart GMT.

NXsQpN2l.jpg

Bought the Marathon GSAR Arctic for my wife for her 73rd birthday. Made in La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland by a family owned Canadian company for the Canadian military. The tritium lume lights up a dark room like a small flashlight.

540139.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Love the radioactive symbol on it :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Love the radioactive symbol on it :D

I like that too. The case back says 26 millicuries, this photo. You probably know more about it than I do, but I think it's helium with an extra electron. As long as it stays contained in the glass tube, and you don't breathe it, one should live a normal-ish​ life span.

Advertisement