Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

540133.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That series of Marathon watches are very nice. Come in all sizes to fit all tastes and sizes of wrist. Built like tanks too. In a bar fight even a G-Shock would start to sweat. :D IIRC they're the last watch manufacturer still providing officially issued watches to the US military(and to their specs) and as you say Canada. I seem to recall the Canadians got them for their coastguard. I had one of the entry level ones the plastic cased navigators. Gave it to a good mate of mine years ago. As usual the military issued stuff comes with a crap strap so I slapped a G10 on it. Like you said the tritium lume is great, by far the best out there(along with indiglo :)).

540140.jpg

Speaking of lume, non tritium. Gave one of my trench watches another thin layer of the Seiko lume I have. Was awoken early this morning by a feckin fox hollaring and could still read it as plain as day six hours later.

540141.jpg
    The phone camera makes it look even brighter tbh.

I reckon it lasts so long because the old dials and skeleton hands were designed for hand applied thick layers of it, far thicker than most modern watches, so it stores more light energy for longer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I like that too. The case back says 26 millicuries, this photo. You probably know more about it than I do, but I think it's helium with an extra electron. As long as it stays contained in the glass tube, and you don't breathe it, one should live a normal-ish​ life span.

Hydrogen isotope - one proton with two neutrons (normal hydrogen should just have the one proton as element no.1 in our periodic table :) )

Very very weak radiation - we get a lot more from the atmosphere naturally - and this is of course if the gas escapes the glass capsules, escapes the watch *and* you breathe it in - might have the same effect as eating an extra bacon sandwich or something :D

T26 is low on the millicuries too if that's further reassurance - I was looking to put in T100 into the Sólás line (it would have glowed beautifully).
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Speaking of lume, non tritium. Gave one of my trench watches another thin layer of the Seiko lume I have. Was awoken early this morning by a feckin fox hollaring and could still read it as plain as day six hours later.

The phone camera makes it look even brighter tbh.

I reckon it lasts so long because the old dials and skeleton hands were designed for hand applied thick layers of it, far thicker than most modern watches, so it stores more light energy for longer.

Superluminova have even better lume out now - X1 superluminova which lasts/glows up to 20% brighter/longer. And yeah - lume strength mostly depends on how many layers you're applying - 6 is typical, 10 is a lot and the newest/lume-iest brands like Phobios use something like 15 layers of X1 grade lume - but you're probably just dolloping lume on the hands @Wibbs so it's less "layers" and more "millimetres" of lume on the watch :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Very very weak radiation - we get a lot more from the atmosphere naturally - and this is of course if the gas escapes the glass capsules, escapes the watch *and* you breathe it in - might have the same effect as eating an extra bacon sandwich or something :D
    Kinda TF... It's primarily a beta emitter which your skin will tend to stop. The glass of the tube or in older watches the crystal will stop it(though in any watch over 20 odd years old it's fairly dead). On the other hand gamma will go through all of the above like they're not even there. However beta is a stronger ioniser, which can be more damaging to soft tissue so you really don't want to breathe it in. In tritium tubes it's a gas so would disperse pretty quickly, I would reckon where it might be a danger, or at least something to be aware of safety wise would be working on the exposed dials and hands of old watches were it was contained in a binder. If it breaks down with damp and goes dusty breathing that in would be a bit of a concern. Nothing like the same concern as radium of course as it fires out gamma, beta and alpha and has a half life of 1600 years as opposed to 12.5 years and radium lume breaks down far more easily and into other nasties as it does so.

TL;DR? Tritium tubes are about as safe as you can get. Even if they crack, unless you're sniffing the dial like a cocaine fiend in need of a fix you'd be fine. Older binder based tritium should be treated with more respect, but it's mostly dead now. Real care should be taken with radium in old watches, though even there old watchmakers show no obvious extra mortality after working with same for decades. Promethium which was used for a time in the 80's can be safley ignored. Half life of 2 or 3 years IIRC. Kinda pointless as a lume really and rare to find a dial with (p) on it(Seiko IIRC had a few).
    T26 is low on the millicuries too if that's further reassurance - I was looking to put in T100 into the Sólás line (it would have glowed beautifully).
    It would that, but down the line TF. :)
    Superluminova have even better lume out now - X1 superluminova which lasts/glows up to 20% brighter/longer. And yeah - lume strength mostly depends on how many layers you're applying - 6 is typical, 10 is a lot and the newest/lume-iest brands like Phobios use something like 15 layers of X1 grade lume - but you're probably just dolloping lume on the hands @Wibbs so it's less "layers" and more "millimetres" of lume on the watch :D
    How dare you Sir! Dolloping? :eek::mad: I'll have you know... well kinda. :D :pac: Joke is not knowing the ins and outs I ended up doing thin layers quite by accident and lack of talent, because I haven't a millionth of the skill of those women dial painters so doing it in one go wasn't an option. I built it up like watercolour washes, very dilute, with more binder than pigment, number by number, leave it for an hour to flash off and go around again. I reckon four goes around, with a fifth for touch ups. The hands got two runs. I'd reckon the enamel dial helps too. It's very pale and bounces light all over the place anyway so is a good background for lume. Though being much smoother needs a stronger oil based binder I've found.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You lads are obsessed with lume....do ye have lightbulbs in your houses??? Generally the things I do in the dark dont require I know the time., or take enough time that it requires tracking. Wibbs I know you are on candles only, more authentic.

26 mCi is almost exactly 1 giga Bq....which is a tiny tiny tiny amount of ionisation. The potassium isotopes in your body would give you a similar dose over time....most of us are sitting reading this bathes in naturally occuring Radon gas that is far far far worse. (but still mostly harmless at average doses)

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    You lads are obsessed with lume....do ye have lightbulbs in your houses??? Generally the things I do in the dark dont require I know the time., or take enough time that it requires tracking.
    *searches Carry On film memes* :D
    Wibbs I know you are on candles only, more authentic.
    Oil lamps sir. I've upgraded. Actually I do have a couple of 19th century oil lamps and light them often enough in the winter. Well of course I bloody do... :D
    26 mCi is almost exactly 1 giga Bq....which is a tiny tiny tiny amount of ionisation. The potassium isotopes in your body would give you a similar dose over time....
    And bananas. :) The smoke detector is looking guilty too and if you have any glassware from your granny that's a translucent and iridescent green... Personally speaking I think there's too much concern, nay panic over radiation from watches, even the radium dialled stuff. OK that is more of a worry, but so long as you don't open up the watch and don't wear it 24/7, you'll likely be fine. Many many men and women did wear them all their lives and were OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Fitz II wrote: »
    You lads are obsessed with lume....

26 mCi is almost exactly 1 giga Bq....which is a tiny tiny tiny amount of ionisation

I went to art school. I should have known you lads would give me a thousand words on radioactivity....very cool.

I went to art school. I should have known you lads would give me a thousand words on radioactivity....very cool.
    Art school eh G?

Back on topic... *slaps wrist*

Wearing my French preproduction 1974/5 Roger Tallon designed LIP today.

PotatoCam(c) 2021

Huge 42mm+ daft and oddball old thing, that was a radical design departure from what the wristwatch is*, an artefact of modernism when it wasn't quite the dirty word it became because of our quiet disappointment at the promise that didn't quite pan out. I bloody love it. Well I would. :) And if you want to get noticed...

And if we define an artist and art as something that defines new forms no matter how clumsily, whereas craft is something that reproduces existing forms no matter how beautifully, then that daft oul French thing is more art than any Patek calatrava. :D

*try designing a watch. Try designing a completely new watch design language. It's incredibly difficult. I admire Genta because unlike outsiders brought in who didn't really give a feck, he was able to change that design language from within the industry, from within the traditional(and he paid his dues in the conventional) and today his designs have become the new authentic traditional.

Seiko "BFK" SKA369 today. I like this watch in all its colourways but particularly the Pepsi. "Found it" in my bathroom cabinet this morning.

An extraordinary bracelet, lovely action on the bezel. Good looking dial. Good lume (but not spectacular relative to some Seiko lower-end watches. Plenty of Seiko design madness on display, which I like. The case design is nice (I find recent Seiko offerings at this price point to be a bit slab sided but this has good lines, and a mix of brushed and polished finishes), and the curved lugs really work in terms of comfort and wearing nicely generally. It's a large watch that wears small because the proportions are just so good. The definition of a handsome divers watch in my view. Mine has some scuffs on the bezel but it wears them well.

The OEM synthetic strap for this watch is also excellent, comfortable and looks great with the watch - also one of the best matches to a MM300 if you have one, and available for about 40 yoyos sold separately. Strap changes are a breeze due to the lug design. I would definitely advise getting the strap if you have the watch. I particularly like to bring this watch as my "one watch" on a beach holiday and it's nice to be able to stick it on the strap if you want to take a bit of weight out of it, go for a run or whatever.

The only negative comments I would make are (a) the clasp is the "standard" Seiko stamped clasp design and does feel a little tinny when you put the watch on and take it off, but it is really good from a purely functional perspective and (b) the handset, while attractive and unique etc does look "a bit plasticky", most notably on the orange one (same problem with the Orange monster in my view).

The kinetic power unit is obviously capable of being a negative too - I've never mastered the art of charging it on a toothbrush charger and I am not going to splash out on a charging unit, which apparently do work. That said, all accounts I've ever seen would suggest the watch is genuinely a tough piece of kit capable of surviving a lot of abuse, which is obviously a plus.

I hadn't worn mine for months, maybe over a year but it popped back into life although I would say the capacitator is probably shot due to inactivity and it probably won't hold the charge. Will be interested to see how long it holds a charge/how long it takes to charge back up (planning on wearing it the next few days).

zbXkHTA.jpg

zbXkHTA

Ordered this on New Year's Eve (not a good idea from Russia) and it arrived via UPS this morning. Delivery guy wanted €39 (€21 customs + €18 for 'other'):confused:
    The black leather strap it came on is too short, only two pin-holes usable on my 7.25" wrist so I put it on a 22mm NATO I had.

Vostok Amphibia Classic 170548 aka Pamphibia. :)

540212.JPG

540218.jpg

I like the fact it's no-date and has a domed acrylic crystal. The sandwich dial is the main attraction. The finish on the backs of the lugs isn't great with sharp edges but you don't feel them especially when on the NATO. Case diam. 41mm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Like the sundial too CT. A relic from your antique dealer days?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Vostok Amphibia Classic 170548 aka Pamphibia. :)

That's a good looking watch. The crystal is lovely. I would probably look to get it on a strap in due course but well wear any which way.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Like the sundial too CT. A relic from your antique dealer days?

No it's in the Bots aka the National Botanical Gardens which is on my daily lockdown exercise walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

No it's in the Bots aka the National Botanical Gardens which is on my daily lockdown exercise walk.

Love the watch Cycling... and great to have the gardens on your walking route!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

All I'm missing here is a snifter of brandy.

AaZf2Jc.jpg

Love it. Speaking of brandy I seen a speedmaster on a cognac patina leather strap that looked awesome. Can’t find a link to it at the moment

Yes indeed - the cognac strap works well on the Speedy. Something like this (although there are plenty of variations):

VM7qEpE.jpg

Love it. Speaking of brandy I seen a speedmaster on a cognac patina leather strap that looked awesome. Can’t find a link to it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Wearing an appropriate watch for catching up on videos :)

zjYOYSn.jpg

Wearing an appropriate watch for catching up on videos :)

It is amazing how small the watch looks compared to modern/20th century ones. But people were a lot smaller then. I've been to loads of military museums around Europe in particular, and am often surprised at how small the uniforms were for the average soldier. Even WW2 uniforms are tiny, so perhaps 'small' watches wore a bit larger when the men wearing them were themselves much smaller.

I like the look of this...

540242.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

TSz10Cyl.jpg

My NTH Nacken has been getting a lot of wrist time this week. I took it off for an evening and put it back on the next morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I like the look of this...

Looks really nice.

The one thing that jumps out at me is that while the indices have that really good patina the hands don't which indicates new hands on an old watch - enough to put me off the head - but love the strap.

It might be the camera angle though.

Looks really nice.

The one thing that jumps out at me is that while the indices have that really good patina the hands don't which indicates new hands on an old watch - enough to put me off the head - but love the strap.

It might be the camera angle though.

Yes I’d love to know where to source the strap

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

It is amazing how small the watch looks compared to modern/20th century ones. But people were a lot smaller then. I've been to loads of military museums around Europe in particular, and am often surprised at how small the uniforms were for the average soldier. Even WW2 uniforms are tiny, so perhaps 'small' watches wore a bit larger when the men wearing them were themselves much smaller.

They had a great exhibit featuring some uniforms and watches at the Aeronautical Museum Methodius Vlach, fantastic place that along with the Škoda Auto Museum I visited made for a great trip to Mladá Boleslav :cool:

IMG-20200305-135226.jpg
    IMG-20200305-135040.jpg
    IMG-20200305-152236.jpg
    IMG-20200305-152806.jpg
    IMG-20200305-152736.jpg
    IMG-20200305-152742.jpg

Well IP's particular 1930's design for pilot watches did come in a few sizes. I've seen 28mm up to 45mm from different brands. I'd reckon most were nearer the 40mm. I'm wearing my version today. The one on the right.

540264.jpg
    Zenith Extra Special with centre second "complication"...

It's measures out at 43mm, not including the sticky outie crown(for winding while wearing gloves). The Longines on the left is 35mm, though actually has a slightly larger dial area. The dial area in the Zenith is smaller down to the rotating bezel. This particular design was the first to feature a rotating external bezel and pointer on a watch(for measuring flight intervals). Nobody has figured out where the design came from or who was the first brand to bring one out. The earliest dated example I've seen was a very late 20's Zenith. You do see a similar design minus the bezel made by Helvetia, who also seem to have been the main brand that produced this design at the time. Interestingly the only main Swiss brand who didn't were Rolex. I suspect because Rolex were more a British market watch, whereas this design was very much a European thing appealing to European tastes. British watch tastes were quite staid and you can even find WW1 Trench style watches still being made and sold into the late 1930's.

The size of these type of watches was also down to fitting a pocket watch size movement into a case. The bigger movement meant bigger (antimagnetic)balances and more power reserve which meant more accuracy. Longines Hour Angles/Weems and German Military B-Uhr(Laco, Stowa etc) would be other example of bigger watches using that principle. Again more a European mainland thing. Examples of issued British and American navigators watches were almost always smaller, even much smaller. 35mm, or in the case of one run of Longines Weems for the US market 28mm. Even the original Longines Hour Angles which were 40mm+ crept down under 40mm for the US market. It seems legibility wasn't so much a concern. Same for issued military watches for land and sea forces. Most were 35mm or under, though the slightly later British "Dirty Dozen" WWW issued watches were 35-37mm.

However that was an actual "tool watch" and wouldn't have been seen very rarely if ever in civilian life. It would have been deeply unfashionable, because most men's watches at that stage were like you note smaller, between 30-35mm, made of gold or gold plated and mostly 30's art deco style Tank watch designs. Men were generally thinner of wrist alright, but even so smaller was seen as better, except for very particular purposes(pilots and divers like the Panerai).

I say this ...
    Wibbs wrote: »
    You do see a similar design minus the bezel made by Helvetia, who also seem to have been the main brand that produced this design at the time.
    ... and IP goes and fires up a pic of an actual example. Psychic or wha? :D

Yes I’d love to know where to source the strap

Looks like this is it

https://www.atelier-romane.com/

Rallye patina Cognac For Ω Buckle 18 mm
    €130.00Price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Trying the Tressa on a Barton sailcloth today

IMG-20210122-085747.jpg

I may pick up a President style bracelet soon to complete the gold plated nonsense. If only I could find one at 19.5mm

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

dav.jpg

Ball Engineer M Marvelight 43mm

Tritium filled, glass tube hour markers. In-house movement (cal. RRM7309-C)

It came on a steel bracelet but I didn't like the clasp so I swapped it for a leather strap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

pjdarcy wrote: »

Tritium filled, glass tube hour markers. In-house movement (cal. RRM7309-C)

It came on a steel bracelet but I didn't like the clasp so I swapped it for a leather strap.

The board now has a second, slightly larger Ball. We are now anatomically correct

The clasp is the reason I swapped mine to leather as well.

Advertisement