Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

540336.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I seem to spend a lot of time in front of my fire:

m2e6m0M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Wearing my Nov 66 Dolphin Bell-Matic this Friday, hope everyone is well

dAzuuRF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭dakar

I’d kinda forgotten about this one, my first ‘proper’ watch. Gave it a bit of a refresh with a NATO and its back in circulation.

540347.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

pjdarcy wrote: »

Ball Engineer M Marvelight 43mm

Lume shot please! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Wearing an appropriate watch for catching up on videos :)

It is amazing how small the watch looks compared to modern/20th century ones. But people were a lot smaller then. I've been to loads of military museums around Europe in particular, and am often surprised at how small the uniforms were for the average soldier. Even WW2 uniforms are tiny, so perhaps 'small' watches wore a bit larger when the men wearing them were themselves much smaller.

Lol. My father was a good 4" taller than me at 6'. I still have his RN woolen jumper which is in incredible nick. I used to have his sheepskin lined leather flying boots also, but they were too big for me and were missing when I cleared out my mothers house after she died.

But people were slim, before processed foods became a norm, you can really see it in music videos/films from the 60's and early 70's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hadn't worn this in a few weeks and missed it, but it had stopped. Figured it was overdue a battery change...

540469.jpg

Sadly not. It seems there's an issue with it. :( Oddly enough looks to be not the quartz movement, but the date mechanism being gummed up and the keyless works, both known weaknesses and both designed and made by JLC of all people. Luckily I have spares for both as I try to do for early quartz, but usually because of fear of the leccy bits failing, not the mechanical.

Problem now is to find a watchmaker I can trust with that scarily rare dial(fewer than ten known). :(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Funky, reminds me of... pacman.jpg

540493.jpg

540494.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Thats a lovely watch CT. What is it?

Stowa flieger that I bought from a fellow forumite (M's_A)who passed on the price reduction he got on it from Stowa.

540502.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

It’s my old watch :) Stowa flieiger which I bought in their used and checked sale and passed on at same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

It’s my old watch :) Stowa flieiger which I bought in their used and checked sale and passed on at same price.

I did see some folks try and sell theirs on tz forums around same time for a tidy profit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    Cheers for that F! :) Given the state of disrepair I'd bet the circuits are shot. The mechanicals and the stepping motors are probably ok(the latter being the best ever fitted to any quartz imho), but the seller's off his rocker at that kinda money. Three working ones would be around that in an open auction. The one on the right is a rarer type, maybe 5-600 for a working one.

Luckily I got spares a few years ago and have four working watches, two of which I'd happily cannibalise for this particular one because of its rarity and a bit of a sentimental attachment too :o as I looked for one for more than five years, while posters on other forums were telling me they were prototype/advertising only models. Though of the ones out there whose history is known all were owned/presented to Motorola employees, the chipset supplier, so logical enough. I think they were too wacky even for the 70's and especially because those GP quartz were an expensive watch at the time, so people would be more likely to go for more traditional looks in that bracket.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I did see some folks try and sell theirs on tz forums around same time for a tidy profit

Sure there would be no one on this forum that would try and profit from it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

IMG-20210123-145443.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'kin hell Frank.

I'm dying to get a Milgauss.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

banie01 wrote:
    Everytime I see that Milgauss I drool

Due to an essential bit of travel today, I got to try on my FILs Daytona today, 116500 ref.
    Absolutely lovely watch but after having one on my wrist for an hr or so...
    I have opinions that may be controversial.
    I think it's too small. It wears beautifully, it's super comfortable but it falls into a strange place between sports watch and semi-formal

You're not the only one. The Milgauss wears small too. Gorgeous watch, arguably the classiest watch Rolex have made. But if you have big wrists and want to wear it as a daily watch, it's just too small. In my humble of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »
    You're not the only one. The Milgauss wears small too. Gorgeous watch, arguably the classiest watch Rolex have made. But if you have big wrists and want to wear it as a daily watch, it's just too small. In my humble of course.

I moved my comment over to the chat thread, just incase you are wondering where it went ;)

• Advertisement

Seagull 1963 Panda (RS/HKED version).

540666.JPG

The NATO on my Pamphibia didn't really suit it so I bought this rubberised strap on Amazon from a crowd called 'Spaghetti Cactus, strap up let's go' (designed in UK) for what worked out just under €16 with prime.

540695.JPG

540696.JPG

Feels super comfortable.

Can't go too far wrong at 16 quid. :)

Wearing this this again today
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Zenith Extra Special with centre second "complication"...

Thought I'd show the engine under the bonnet and try to explain what's going on.

540688.jpg

A Zenith Calibre 15/16 IIRC. Antimagnetic, 16 jewel with fine cam regulator and Breguet overcoil. Originally with the fourth wheel driving the seconds hand in a subdial at 6(or 9) which had been the way with pocketwatches before them and the vast majority of wristwatches when they came along, because well, it's easy, the fourth wheel is right there ready to drive the seconds hand. You see a few rare examples of early trench watches with centre seconds, often in smaller ladies sizes for nurses. Most of these Zenith Pilot's watches came with the standard subsecond(very rare ones had no seconds), but some got this complication to allow for more precise timing and more at a glance indicator that the damned thing was still running. :D How it works is:

540689.jpg

Where the fourth wheel on the left would normally drive the seconds in the subdial, power is transferred through the third wheel to a seconds gear(that extra gear on the top right), with a spring to keep it under tension, driving the centre seconds hand through the minutes. They have a slightly different less smooth sweep if you look closely enough because of this arrangement. Later on it was actually Zenith who came up with the direct centre seconds we see in all watches today.

Funny enough it was considered enough of a complication that Patek outsourced its construction of their indirect seconds to another movement maker(whose name escapes :o Valjoux/Lemania?). Though for much of their history Patek were actually a high class finisher of bought in movements. Chronographs in particular. They didn't build their own until this century. Longines were the first to bring an inhouse wristwatch specific chrono movement to market in 1913 and were the inhouse chronograph marque for much of the 20th century.

Indirect seconds were seen as such a PITA that you see the evolution of the "Doctor's watch" layout in the 20's and 30's.

DSC09379.jpg

Where they kept the basic subdial seconds layout but enlarged the dial around it. the Rolex Prince another example from that era. The above Gruen is fancy in one way, it has an early date window function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Bit of snow my way today

PXL-20210124-120016641-PORTRAIT.jpg

That's about the most legible and usable Daytona dial in my humble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's about the most legible and usable Daytona dial in my humble.

Was just about to say the same thing.
    Far more legible than the 116500, and pretty in white too!

540728.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

That is certainly an interesting piece. A combination of a Panerai with the hands from a Sinn 104.

The hands are from the very earliest of the Vostok dive watches. I see what you mean about the Sinn though.

1509.jpg?content-type=image%2Fjpeg

• Advertisement

That is certainly an interesting piece. A combination of a Panerai with the hands from a Sinn 104.

It's keeping surprisingly good time up to now, under -10 sec/day.

Advertisement