Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

fat bloke wrote: »
    Oh don't mind me, I'm an horological illiterate. Inured though I am to Rolex fantasy football prices it still comes as a shock to me that brands wholly unfamiliar to me are way up there also. I was only beginning to recover from the Zenith ten grand for an homage debacle. I see "German" as a manufacturer and think to myself "Ah yeah, that's lovely, I'd 'ave that, if only I had a spare 1500 quid or so" only to be smacked in a face with a wet trout 5 times the size! :).

I'm learning all the time, now if you'll excuse me my microwaved baked beans are ready. :pac:

Yep it's an interesting industry. Was talking to someone a few weeks back who knows some person that has apparently spent about $250k in the last couple of years on watches, mainly AP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fat bloke wrote: »
    Oh don't mind me, I'm an horological illiterate. Inured though I am to Rolex fantasy football prices it still comes as a shock to me that brands wholly unfamiliar to me are way up there also.
    Oh they can be way up there alright, but looking at Chrono24 the Glashutte seem to run around the 6-7000k, whereas something like a Rolex Sub, which is a very basic watch by comparison are over 10k. Yes you'll get more bragging rights at the golf club for the latter, which is bang on if that's what someone is after, but IMHO the Glashutte is by far the better actual watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Rubber strap in for the VC, they sent me a nice colour photo book and were very nice to deal with, the VC boutique in Paris. Is fidddly to fit, you need a longer than average pin pusher. Nice soft rubber. I know the VC braclet is super nice, but its kinda nice on the rubber and I have a lot of metal Braclet watches so something different.

Screenshot-2021-02-01-190522.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are rubber straps and then there are rubber straps from the big boys and there's a helluva difference. None of that odd stickiness for the want of a better word. They don't attract every mote of dust from miles around either. :) Changes the character of the watch. I like it I have to say.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Add Junghans to the nice German brands. Ok, they use ETA movements and a lot cheaper than some of the above mentioned, but they design a very nice watch. Redlead a few days ago mentioned the that while the nomos was "better", the junghans is nicer,definitely would agree with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Fitz II wrote: »
    Rubber strap in for the VC, they sent me a nice colour photo book and were very nice to deal with, the VC boutique in Paris. Is fidddly to fit, you need a longer than average pin pusher. Nice soft rubber. I know the VC braclet is super nice, but its kinda nice on the rubber and I have a lot of metal Braclet watches so something different.

I love high end stuff on rubber, that ticks every box for me, absolutely beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭redlead

893bet wrote: »
    I really like GO also but I am firmly in the German camp mentally these days. There is little from the ALS/Stowa/Nomos/dornbluth line up that I don’t like.

What I love about the German brands is that they are all doing something a bit different too. I know that a few fall into the Bauhaus camp, but they all have their own take on it. A lot of the Swiss brands fall into the let's have a diver, a pilot watch and a sports chrono. That's fair enough, it's become the industry standard and it's what most of us want but thr Germans are giving genuine unique alternatives.

That Panomatic is stunning. GO seem a bit like the German JLC. They are looking to Lange as their competitor in terms of design and quality. Obviously Lange is on a different level but it's an admirable aspiration to have. My grail watch for the last couple of years is a JLC master moon phase (similar to the one down the back of Fitz's couch ;-) ) but the panomatic is really starting to turn my eye.

I don't think I'd have the balls to buy one because I see it very much a quirky piece youd have within a larger collection but I really love these burst ones

1-39-52-13-02-04-Sixties-DETAIL.jpg
    can we download images from instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Package this morning from Sweden, few quick 'n' dirty wrist shots, will take some better ones incl movement when I get a sec!

Really liking it so far, very comfy on the wrist, you'd forget you have a watch on.

Nomos2.jpg
    Nomos1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

david wrote: »
    Package this morning from Sweden, few quick 'n' dirty wrist shots, will take some better ones incl movement when I get a sec!

Really liking it so far, very comfy on the wrist, you'd forget you have a watch on.

Very, very nice! Health to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fitz II wrote: »

very nice fitz

fiddly job isnt it, not one id like to undertake regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

RMDrive wrote: »
    Very, very nice! Health to wear.

What size ref is it David? Looks very clean and tidy size wise

What size ref is it David? Looks very clean and tidy size wise
    It's a Tangente 139, the one with display case back, dainty little thing!

35mm x 44.5mm and wears every mm of that. Very glad I went for the smaller size.

david wrote: »
    It's a Tangente 139, the one with display case back, dainty little thing!

35mm x 44.5mm and wears every mm of that. Very glad I went for the smaller size.

Congrats, looks perfect on you. I know a lot of people aren't that interested in accuracy but I'm a bit anal about it. Its probably just a lucky one I have but it is by far the best time keeper I've had. It is actually keeping perfect time and has lost 0 seconds over a week. I have logged it daily and the most it drifted was 0.8 seconds a day. Thats unbelievably impressive for the price. I'd be interested to know how yours runs for you once you have it a while.

redlead wrote: »
    Congrats, looks perfect on you. I know a lot of people aren't that interested in accuracy but I'm a bit anal about it. Its probably just a lucky one I have but it is by far the best time keeper I've had. It is actually keeping perfect time and has lost 0 seconds over a week. I have logged it daily and the most it drifted was 0.8 seconds a day. Thats unbelievably impressive for the price. I'd be interested to know how yours runs for you once you have it a while.

Thanks a million - sync'd it to time.is earlier and it's still spot on, hoping it's at least as accurate as the ETA 2802 in the Stowa Marine I had. I would be similar to you, I tend to keep the manual winders wound daily so any deviation accumulates. Autos, not so much important to me, I'm usually resetting the time/day/date at least once a week anyway.

I'd say the Alpha still has some settling to do, it's a grey market job with an Italian AD stamped warranty card from 10/21. Still had the stickers/uncreased strap etc so happy enough with the small saving over buying new.

It's a bit of a departure for me wearing a watch this small. In recent years I haven't owned anything sub 40mm. Might invest in a couple of straps to mix it up. I have to say I'm loving the stock horse's ass strap, very comfy and took zero effort to break it in.

I'm sure the smallest watch I've had before this was a Casio F91 I wore in primary school - won it at the amusements in either Mosney or Tramore on a school tour :pac:

Well mine was losing about 10 mins a day initially because I was an eejit that never had a manual wind before and was afraid of over winding it. Wibbs and cycling tourist set me straight anyway. Always learning......

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

aepelM.jpg

Just bought this Tag Heuer Monza. Had the previous version CR5111 with white face and the Calibre 36 (Zenith) movement until it got damaged at work eight years ago. I have ever since been on the lookout for a replacement until I found this one, available brand new a few weeks ago. To be honest am more of a fan of the movement than the watch itself, but it wears well despite it being smaller than what I would normally wear. It is a 38mm. As expected the movement is extremely accurate (-1sec/day). I still think the previous version was nicer but this one is growing on me and the 'Heuer' branding is an added advantage. The El Primero movement is one of the nicest around and could look at it all day. It makes the Zenith Chronomaster Sport even more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

redlead wrote: »
    Well mine was losing about 10 mins a day initially because I was an eejit that never had a manual wind before and was afraid of over winding it. Wibbs and cycling tourist set me straight anyway. Always learning......

Is there a secret to the manual winding?
    I too am afraid to overwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

NIMAN wrote: »

Yep the secret is wind it until it winds no more. You can't overwind.

(was new to me too - seems to be an old wives' tale going around for decades to be careful winding a watch or you'll break it - I remember it from my first watches)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

unkel wrote: »
    Yep the secret is wind it until it winds no more. You can't overwind.

(was new to me too - seems to be an old wives' tale going around for decades to be careful winding a watch or you'll break it - I remember it from my first watches)

Wind it till it’s wound but no harm to slow down a bit as it tightens up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

NIMAN wrote: »

You probably would need pliers on the crown to overwind and snap the mainspring off the barrel catch (*slight* exaggeration) - you really need to intentionally want to snap it to overwind a manual watch from modern times.

Have heard of weaker springs from vintage pieces but things like the modern speedmaster are meant to be wound until "the end". And indeed perform best timing-wise at that end of the power reserve (in my general opinion).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Clock watching during sociology!
    Haven't worn this in far too long and now it's back on rubber, I think my flirtation with NATO straps may wel be over.
    In the traditional manner anyway, they just sit too high when the fabric lies under the back of the watch IMO.

I hate sociology, I mean...
    I like the premise, I like the aim of developing critical thinking but FFS it's not an actual empirical science.
    Experimental validation requires that data, inputs and results can be repeated.
    The only way that happens in Sociology, is plagiarism ;)

MVIMG-20210203-112424.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

NTH Naken and 23 liters of homebrew that I will be bottling up this evening.

ZOtHsBgl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

There is a second way to wear a Nato that means the nato is not doubled behind the caseback and will wear lower. But still higher than a none nato obviously.

https://youtu.be/LbKiWPF2ccs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There is a second way to wear a Nato that means the nato is not doubled behind the caseback and will wear lower. But still higher than a none nato obviously.

Thanks for that :)
    Knew I'd seen similar earlier on here, but had forgotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    NTH Naken and 23 liters of homebrew that I will be bottling up this evening

What did you make Pablo, used to love homebrewing before the kids arrived. Takes up too much time

That or even better - a Zulu. Also single pass behind the caseback. But as you say, still a pass vs none for other strap types

As banie1, I've gone a bit off NATOs myself in the past year or so. But I've gone off rubber even more.

what-sorcery-is-this.jpg

:D That's a pretty cool idea. I've been a nato, sorry G-10 chap since way back, but that's a new one on me.

Posted here a few times before recently, but at your age you're excused for some memory loss, Wibbs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Quick picture while it's still bright and dry :)

33735Va.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

dpCttE.jpg

This watch is bombproof and despite appearing to be totally caught up with accuracy (I am not), I have just established that after five months + daily wear, it has an accuracy variance of 0.2 secs/day. Essentially with regulation, this would mean that it would be possible to get accuracy to within 1.5 seconds per week. The 3235 movement is some feat of engineering and is difficult to know how it can be improved upon in the future - no doubt Rolex Marketing Department will come up with something though! Would be interesting to know if others here have similar experiences as there are many reports of problems with the 3235 movement on other forums.

Advertisement