Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

unkel wrote: »
    Posted here a few times before recently, but at your age you're excused for some memory loss, Wibbs :pac:

541887.jpg

As it happens I'm wearing the watch I first put a Nato on back in the early 90's. I was given one by a British bloke I met fishing. I admired it on his Seiko and mentioned I had a watch that was a bugger to get straps for. He called it an "army strap" and he later posted me one, which was decent of him. Proper Phoenix one too. I suppose back then that was all that was available. Because of my aged related memory loss :D I'd forgotten this method so have just tried it and here it is in glorious PotatoCam.

541888.jpg

Definitely wears much lower alright. I reckon I'll stick with it on this watch anyway. It wears huge as is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kostal2093 wrote: »
    The 3235 movement is some feat of engineering and is difficult to know how it can be improved upon in the future - no doubt Rolex Marketing Department will come up with something though! Would be interesting to know if others here have similar experiences as there are many reports of problems with the 3235 movement on other forums.

Yep, same here. I set the time in my 126660 (deepsea) when I bought the watch 42 days ago, have worn it pretty much 24/7, just checked against time.is and it is now 14s behind

So -0.3s per day

Incredible stuff really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Poljot hand-wound from the early naughties.

541897.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards. I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards.

I must not buy an expensive camera with macro just so I can post decent watch shots on boards.

I took the shot above with a Nokia 5, not an expensive smart phone, just rotated and cropped later on my lap top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Taking it outside makes a big difference too

Cienciano wrote: »
    Taking it outside makes a big difference too

Yes certainly does.

When I'm taking shots at home I use a Panasonic Lumix digital camera (DMC-TZ70) and when taking lume shots I use a small bendy legs tripod and the 10sec timer with the flash off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

9329-F3-AD-3-FAC-4559-B5-A3-DC289-B99-E9-CA.jpg

This landed at the door this morning. 38mm which is the right size for me. Removed the brown stock strap and have it on this black one for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

stuchyg wrote: »

What did you make Pablo, used to love homebrewing before the kids arrived. Takes up too much time

It is lager from bulldog brews. Its my second attempt at homebrewing; hopefully it is as successful as the first one. I was impressed with how it came out. The only thing is that you need patience, it is close to 5 weeks from start to finish before your beer is ready to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭furiousox

I was going to trade up this Pagani for a Steinhart but I've been wearing it all week and I'm starting to really like it so I'm going to hang on to it for now.

541915.jpg

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

1971 Speedtimer with a silver sunburst dial - turns 50 next month!

Used to get lots of wear, tried it on a rally strap, natos, rubber, but always go back to this endmill style bracelet. Doesn't get much wrist time anymore, so thinking of sticking it up for sale. Was a must have though as part of my Seiko collection! Had to round it out and have the first automatic chrono, to go with the first quartz chrono (7a38), a hi beat handwinder, a tuna, etc...

GQcSgAz.jpg
    42vovOj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭redlead

Wibbs wrote: »
    ]

Definitely wears much lower alright. I reckon I'll stick with it on this watch anyway. It wears huge as is.

With all the talk of Zeniths and Daytonas lately, I knew Wibbs would rustle something out of the bag. That's a cool looking watch.

I know close to nothing about those very old vintage watches but they seem to often have that same style font on the numbering and all seem to have ludicrously big crowns. Don't you have a Longines that looks very similar to that Zenith? Were those cheeky buggers at it even back then? :-P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

redlead wrote: »
    I know close to nothing about those very old vintage watches but they seem to often have that same style font on the numbering and all seem to have ludicrously big crowns. Don't you have a Longines that looks very similar to that Zenith? Were those cheeky buggers at it even back then? :-P
    :D well kinda. In the early days of men's wristwatches before radium as a luminous material came along like pocketwatches they tended to either have Roman numerals or plain black Arabic numbers usually a variation on so called Breguet numbers in style, designed by the French company of the same name. Here's a 1911/12 Longines with them(and Breguet hands too).

541988.jpg

Then when radium lume came along and was demanded by the market in WW1 the numerals(and hands) became larger and mostly in outline to infill with the new lume.

Crowns initially followed the pocketwatch style, which were large and bulbous and easy to wind. Though even early on there were design differences starting to come out for the new fangled wristwatch. EG here's an American made Hampden from 1914.

541989.jpg

It's less 19th century a crown. Note too the way the strap is mounted is moving away from two simple metal loops. The Americans drove a lot of the design language in the early days and really did when Art Deco took off. Even in early trench watches the Yanks had octagonal cases, rectangular cases, crowns at 3 or 2 or 12, all sorts of experimentation. Another example of this was the US Depollier watch case company who came up with a solution to waterproofing with a screwdown back and front case and a screwdown crown in 1917, ten years before the Rolex Oyster and unlike the latter was entirely inhouse and not bought in patents.

541990.jpg

Note the watch in a fishbowl to show it off. Something Rolex also did a decade later as part of their advertising. Sadly I missed out on one of these, an Elgin years ago. :( Haven't seen one come up for sale in ages. Note too their case "keeps out gas", a sobering reminder of WW1 and not something you'd read today in watch advertising.

Now the other thing to realise about back then is Swiss brand names meant very little to customers. Watches were sold on the retailers name more than anything. In British markets the Swiss brand name was almost never seen on the dials or movements(and movements were finished in gilt to ape English movements). They were left blank so the retailers name like Harrods or whomever could be added, or generic names like "Campaign" or "Land & Water". Note on that 1912 Longines the brand name is around the subdial to leave plenty of space for the retailers name to be printed at the top. In the US market brand names and brand advertising were much more in play. "Swiss Watch" marketing was pretty much a minor player worldwide back then. One of Rolex's innovations and a brave move at the time in the British empire market was insisting that their name was on the dial, so from the 20's on it was much more like today.

Brands were copying each other all over the place. That Zenith of mine from the early 30's is to a design for a pilot's watch layout that pretty much every Swiss brand had at one time. Nobody knows who came up with the design in the first place. When art deco Tank watches came in, again everyone and his dog had very similar designs. Same for when the dive watch layout(Blancpain) came out later on. The general public didn't care. Nobody was talking about "homages" back then. :D The "first" design has either been forgotten, or the history muddied by marketing, or the first design never really took off until later. EG the first Timezone/GMT was a Longines, the first pilot's watch a Cartier, the first dive watch an Omega in a tank style of all things, the first date window a Mimo/Gerard Perregaux, the first automatic a Harwood and so on. Today only complete nerds would know or care about that sorta thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Did someone say Breguet?

Orient Monarch

542004.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

I know you said no sotc pictures any time soon but how many watches do you have cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Did someone say Breguet?

Orient Monarch

You need to go for a run/cycle CT - getting dangerously low on power reserve :P

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Its a good week for watches for me.

My Amphibian arrived back from Russia for a warranty replacement

uf9sv3h56bf61.jpg

I'll be changing pretty much everything on it in a few days once I'm happy that its running right.

I ordered parts for a new build from Aliexpress, going for a rose gold case to try it out.

And I got a hint of what watch I'm getting from Wrist Check monthly this month and it sounds like a good one :D

Thirdfox wrote: »
    You need to go for a run/cycle CT - getting dangerously low on power reserve :P

It's a 'mechanical' not automatic so exercise doesn't do anything to the power reserve. :)

I know you said no sotc pictures any time soon but how many watches do you have cycling?

That's a question my wife occasionally asks me and I reply 'countless'. but honestly somewhere between 20 and 40. I stopped counting after the first box was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

20, yeah right, fool yourself :p

I'd say you've shown more watches than that just in this thread just in the past week or two :D

(don't worry, the wives don't read here)

• Advertisement

That's a question my wife occasionally asks me and I reply 'countless'. but honestly somewhere between 20 and 40. I stopped counting after the first box was full.

Reminds me of those moments in movies about how many partners have you slept with and the person asking is like what.... my wife might kill me if I slept with that many watches

Just into today from Croatia. I know fitz will shake his head but I had a nagging feeling I wanted a speedmaster back. Paid about same as I sold mine for. It’s 2000 year build from serial number. Noticeably easier to wind than the last version i had which was 1998 I think. On erikas original black ops. Super comfy. I couldn’t quite get a right fit even with the omega nato I had and sold. The elastic nature of the erikas strap means the fit is lovely

91230885-6290-494-C-B04-E-0-DDC359-EBC7-D.jpg
    851-FFA5-D-83-CE-4-F0-D-9-EDF-0603918-E8455.jpg
    96761463-4908-42-F0-9-CC6-7803-AD9-A2-B30.jpg
    F241198-D-9924-4226-AE4-B-5-B288894-C3-CA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@micks_address: very nice, well wear.

That strap looks pretty good on it.

How do you find those solid end links on the bracelet. I hear a lot of people whinge about them, but as I have a wrist that looks remarkably like yours*, I suspect I'd be OK.

*This is not a grooming ploy. ;)

That could happen... I take paypal or bitcoin.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    @micks_address: very nice, well wear.

That strap looks pretty good on it.

How do you find those solid end links on the bracelet. I hear a lot of people whinge about them, but as I have a wrist that looks remarkably like yours*, I suspect I'd be OK.

*This is not a grooming ploy. ;)

Wrist is 7.25ish.. i really like the bracelet but i love it on the erikas nato... can you call it a nato?

Haven't worn this one in a while. 1941 Alpina KM

542047.jpg

Issued by the German Navy in 41, Kriegsmarine, hence "KM". Teenyweeny these days at 33mm, but normal man's size back then.

542053.jpg
    Some sort of "nato" style strap goin on there.

Great little movement in these.

542048.jpg

15 jewel, Breguet balance spring and incabloc shock protection. Invented in '34 but already making its way into a fair number of movements. German specs in the late 30's for their issued infantry watches specifically stipulated anti shock. There were other anti shock systems on the go too, but incabloc carried the day* Runs 6 seconds a day slow. I can live with that. Sadly(and like the majority of German issued watches) these came with nickel plated brass cases so don't wear the years so well. Also and considering their purpose they were about as waterproof as a teabag so most have buggered movements and ropey dials. Mine has a good dial for a nice change. Issued infantry and air force personnel watches were actually better waterproofed.

*don't get me started on interwebs bloggists and dealers saying shock protection didn't come along until the 50's...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Reminds me of those moments in movies about how many partners have you slept with and the person asking is like what.... my wife might kill me if I slept with that many watches

I mean, I like watches myself but...

20, yeah right, fool yourself :p

I'd say you've shown more watches than that just in this thread just in the past week or two :D

OK, I did a quick count and it's 21 watches with one on the way stuck in some couriers warehouse presumably waiting customs clearance. I may have missed one in my counting but not any more.

In fairness my wife doesn't mind. It's not that I'm hiding the information from her, just if she doesn't know she can't tell all the in-laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

OK, I did a quick count and it's 21 watches with one on the way stuck in some couriers warehouse presumably waiting customs clearance. I may have missed one in my counting but not any more.

In fairness my wife doesn't mind. It's not that I'm hiding the information from her, just if she doesn't know she can't tell all the in-laws.

Do you have to count all watches?
    I have several that are kept for parts, messing about with, practising skills on.

Do they count?

You know the way that calories in free food don't count. Is it the same?

• Advertisement

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Do you have to count all watches?
    I have several that are kept for parts, messing about with, practising skills on.

Do they count?

You know the way that calories in free food don't count. Is it the same?

No I'm not an amateur watch repair guy. I keep straps, that's all. All my watches except one are in full working order. I have an scuba dude Amphibia that doesn't really work but I still keep it for sentimental reasons.

Advertisement