Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Just into today from Croatia. I know fitz will shake his head but ...........

Well wear Mick, when you have a moonwatch you remember why you sold it, and when you dont have one you remember why you bought one in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's deep Fitz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Wibbs wrote: »
    Haven't worn this one in a while. 1941 Alpina KM

Issued by the German Navy in 41, Kriegsmarine, hence "KM". Teenyweeny these days at 33mm, but normal man's size back then.

Some sort of "nato" style strap goin on there.

Great little movement in these.

15 jewel, Breguet balance spring and incabloc shock protection. Invented in '34 but already making its way into a fair number of movements. German specs in the late 30's for their issued infantry watches specifically stipulated anti shock. There were other anti shock systems on the go too, but incabloc carried the day* Runs 6 seconds a day slow. I can live with that. Sadly(and like the majority of German issued watches) these came with nickel plated brass cases so don't wear the years so well. Also and considering their purpose they were about as waterproof as a teabag so most have buggered movements and ropey dials. Mine has a good dial for a nice change. Issued infantry and air force personnel watches were actually better waterproofed.

*don't get me started on interwebs bloggists and dealers saying shock protection didn't come along until the 50's...
    Love that KM Wibbs! Probably blasphemy but I think that watch would look exceptionally well in a nickel-less brass finish.

Tub of acid and a 12v battery, be grand. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Fitz II wrote: »
    Well wear Mick, when you have a moonwatch you remember why you sold it, and when you dont have one you remember why you bought one in the first place.

I used to think i wanted a speedmaster until you convinced me otherwise :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

david wrote: »
    Love that KM Wibbs! Probably blasphemy but I think that watch would look exceptionally well in a nickel-less brass finish.

Tub of acid and a 12v battery, be grand. :pac:

hqdefault.jpg

:D but yeah I've kinda been tempted D, or get it replated, but I've yet to see a replating job that didn't look like one and they never get the warm lustre and colour of the original plating. Maybe the original process has been shown to cause California in the state of Cancer so they can't use it, or they're all home setups with acid and 12v car batteries? :D

Here it is this very eve with its slightly larger army issue stable mate. The latter in really nice quality stainless steel* and with better waterproofing. It's slightly better made overall with the gilt dial etc. I've clattered the feck out of it a few times by mistake. I can guarantee it would survive a few rounds of golf anyway.

542093.jpg

Funny enough the Alpina is one of the most radioactive watches I have. Must have been a strong lume mix.

*Doxa, Longines, Zenith and Mimo were the only DH issued watches that were in steel. The Longines gets the big money, though the Mimo is the largest and harder to find. Mimo's parent company Gerard Perregaux sought them out after the war to destroy them...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I think I need a KM watch now after seeing that one Wibbs.

If only just because its my initials nevermind the cool factor of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Cheap piece I got on Adverts a few months ago. I got it mostly for the NATO strap tbh! Handy as a basic day to day piece.

542099.jpeg

https://imgur.com/gallery/LnhlDBJ

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I think I need a KM watch now after seeing that one Wibbs.

If only just because its my initials nevermind the cool factor of it.
    Time was H, they could be had for between 100-200 quid depending on condition, now 4-600 for something half decent, more with dealers. Here's one on ebay for 240 quid, pretty ropey though at least all original. Here's another for a 100 quid on top of that, nearly as ropey and with the wrong hands. I can keep a beady out for you though...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Wibbs wrote: »
    Time was H, they could be had for between 100-200 quid depending on condition, now 4-600 for something half decent, more with dealers. Here's one on ebay for 240 quid, pretty ropey though at least all original. Here's another for a 100 quid on top of that, nearly as ropey and with the wrong hands. I can keep a beady out for you though...

Yeah those two look a bit rough around the edges.

If you happen to see anything certainly drop me a PM but don't be going out of your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Gone utilitarian today. Love seeing all the military watches by the way!

IbE2pLE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

The "other" moonwatch today...

542150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

The "other" moonwatch today...

Its really nice in the black pvd - for the money compared to the Omega its awesome. I had it in silver but i might pick up a black one at some point.

oknepop wrote: »
    Love seeing all the military watches by the way!
    Wearing the one on the left today.

542153.jpg

1943 Wagner RLM(Air force ministry). When Germany started to run out of hard currency to pay the Swiss they went to local German manufacturers in Glashütte for issued watches. Though why they didn't go that route from the get go always puzzled me. These were issued to paratroops and other air force staff. There are also examples issued to the navy but they're mad rare and the air force ones aren't exactly common any more. They come from different brands(Nila/Wagner/Artcos etc) but are essentially the same watch. The dials are painted more like aircraft instruments. Very matt.

In Glashütte it seems they didn't have a suitable round movement so these actually contain a rectangular movement from 1930's tank style watches of which the German brands made many around this 15 jewel Urofa 58 movement. This makes them larger than most of the issued watches at 36mm.

542162.jpg

Double cased in brass, originally with lead seals for dust and water resistance. I've three of these(2 Wagners and a Nila), but the balance is broken in two of them. It's easy to get NOS ones, but replacing one of them is way out of my wheelhouse. Something that was the bread and butter of watchmakers before shock protection really took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

My weekend watch:

H9P1gcZl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Sticking with the military watches, wearing my 1930s Silvo today

WB2AqiA.jpg

Was thinking back to my trip to Prague last March, hard to believe it's been already nearly a year ago that I was standing outside frantacily waiting for the shop to open before leaving for the airport :rolleyes::D

Pictured beside the Roamer that he wanted €596 ,mine was €194

8z6lmGl.jpg

Also a Doxa he was looking for €312 with (thanks to Wibbs for the guidance ;) ) the wrong hands

8wo5T3c.jpg

Also a treat getting to see this IWC in a different shop, can't remember what he wanted but it's way out of my reach! :pac:

xvgOfhL.jpg

... and the Roamer has the wrong minute hand* and crown. You got the best out of that lot and for a great price too. :)

*compare the hands to yours. Yours have the same patina, the Roamer's have been touched up with black. The lume is recent too. Radium of that vintage tends to turn a muddy grey with a hint of pale green(the original colour), not the tan of the earlier Trench watches(and some post war radium mixes), but restorers usually miss that. Yours is the right colour. Note the IWC has the same colour as yours on the numerals, though the hands are incorrect and have been relumed. The length and width of your minute hand is correct, the Roamer's is too thin and short. Note yours hits the minute track precisely, the Roamer's doesn't.

uBUdvgi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

Really like the seiko what model is it?

I think that is the SBDX017? Pure class, Seiko at its best imho.

Really like the seiko what model is it?

Cheers - SBDX001. Often referred to as "MM300" for "Marinemaster 300" (although there is a MM300 Tuna too but generally it means this one).
    unkel wrote: »
    I think that is the SBDX017? Pure class, Seiko at its best imho.

Thanks - it's a favourite. Special watch. Got it in brand new from Japan and it flew in under the radar, so all the sweeter.

SBDX017 is indeed the current model. SBDX001 has been discontinued.

Changes are some new techniques machining the components, for less wear and tear apparently (SEiko call it MEMS which stands for something), crown is signed, metal strap keeper on the (still awful) stock rubber strap, diashield coating (anti scratch), new lume and the dial has that Prospex 'X' logo.

I prefer the SBDX001 for the dial.

Mine is about 10 years old. Never serviced. Doesn't miss a beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Elegant Chaos

Delighted with this, the pine green “thought-it-was-black-for-at-a-glance” dial is great.

542244.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Delighted with this, the pine green “thought-it-was-black-for-at-a-glance” dial is great.

Hi, would you be able to let me know the model number? Thx D.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Elegant Chaos

It's the AW1598-70x.

Rotating through some divers (but not hoodies) this weekend. Havn't had this on in a while. PO 2500m 42mm personally my favourite PO of all time, based on versatility (a function of size here). I also like it a lot on the OEM strap. The bracelet, however, is still one of the best ever, notwithstanding that it lacks the sort of adjustability you expect from a modern diver.

MchYOym.jpg

1CJ7co2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Got caught out in the rain today. Extra points if you can name that road.

Juwo7ue.jpg

b16QsKz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Doing some housework today so put away the Starlight and put on a "beater" :P

K7hIcNe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Jaysus there is a want for a Panerai here growing in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

An illustration of potential bone idleness on my part.
    My Citizen ana-digi, with DST on the analogue and BST on the Digi ;)

I will say one thing about Seiko and the Arnie re-issue, much easier watch to manage the time on ;)

MVIMG-20210207-142613.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I never get tired of this watch... New strap on her and back in action.

542407.jpg

Advertisement