Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Been wearing the trench watch this weekend. It's running a bit fast so I'll try dial that back in next weekend.

IMG-20210207-172832.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

A very very special watch on the wrist today (finally got it fixed after many many years)... my first ever personal watch purchase:

ku303mbh.jpg

A citizen eco-drive - back when I was 15-16 if I recall - almost shaking with excitement in looking up the wonders of solar powered, titanium, gold(plated!) bracelet and multifunctional watch... got it in Argos :D and they even sized it for me...which meant that before I walked 2km from the shop the bracelet had fallen off. You can imagine how gut wrenching it was to a 15 year old to have something that he spent maybe a few years of pocket money on "break" so soon after purchase (I think the watch was 150 euro at the time).

A quick trip back and things were fixed... I guess it was a good sign that I'd like watches in the future - I remember discussing the Citizen vs a fellow classmate's Tag that he was sporting "yeah, I accept your watch cost thousands...but mine has all the technical features... and gold and titanium too :P ... and TWO alarms :D "

Over the years it got put into the watch box (out of sunlight) so when I took it out a few years ago it didn't surprise me that the hands no longer moved i.e. I couldn't adjust the time, though the second hand started ticking so I knew the battery was still okay after a sunlight charge.

...A quartz reset would be easy...if I could get the caseback off! After 10+ years of leaving it untouched the rubber was almost glued on. And the caseback had a very shallow indent design which almost seems made for caseback tools to slip and stab yourself with... Various caseback wrenches, sticky balls etc. were used... Today finally got a two teeth caseback opener and plastic case holder (the metal ones I had would scratch the titanium too easily) and with a bit of elbow grease finally popped it open (no blood which is always a win).

As I suspected, an easy on/off via the battery, reset the watch's circuitry and it has its functions back again. I had thought about putting it up on adverts before but now I think I definitely want to keep this one - it's worth very little to others but to that 15 year old me it was the coolest thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I stepped out to walk the dog ai ttle earlier and looked down to see my watch glowing in the evening light!

s2xKVZQl.jpg

NTH Barracuda Vintage Black.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Been wearing the trench watch this weekend.

9czz.jpg
    Thirdfox wrote: »
    I had thought about putting it up on adverts before but now I think I definitely want to keep this one - it's worth very little to others but to that 15 year old me it was the coolest thing ever.
    If I see that watch on adverts TF I'll hunt you down with extreme prejudice. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

On loan from my brother in law, he didn’t trust me with his Rolex..:pac:

542465.jpg

https://ibb.co/JQ5NKh2
    https://ibb.co/RHZM5Tb

Wibbs, do your magic with pictures. Must learn how to embedd

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wearing my "Milgauss" today....

542468.jpg

Well 1000 Oersted is roughly equivalent to 1000 Gauss so technically.... :P:D

Since I set it in September when I finally got one after years of searching it's gained two seconds. So on that basis it'll roughly be accurate to four or five seconds per year, under half a minute in five years(they were originally advertised as guaranteed for under a minute in five years). There's possibly some tweaking left, but I reckon at this stage it's not down to regulation just unavoidable drift. But as it stands it could actually be used as a marine chronometer for navigation. Then again I have gps on my phone. But that's not the nerdy point dammit! :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Missed this part.
    Thirdfox wrote: »
    and gold and titanium too :P
    We're quartz twins TF. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Quick picture on a chilly Monday :)

KXGWmaq.jpg

XoYN9rY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I never get tired of this watch... New strap on her and back in action.
    Love that what model is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

It took UPS almost a month to deliver it but it was worth the wait!

A82805-B2-2-F23-4178-A911-0-D50357-AD1-E1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

How are the Sinn clocks going? If you use the radio option are you goosed with summer/winter time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

How are the Sinn clocks going? If you use the radio option are you goosed with summer/winter time?

It’s manual set only unfortunately to get the correct time for us.

Another forever keeper on the wrist today - a Sea-Gull flying tourbillon that my wife got me for my 30th (along with a visit to the Sea-Gull factory in Tianjin, China). Heard my first minute repeater in hand there too (as well has handling gyrotourbillons, micro-rotors, double tourbillons :D ).

This particular funky model uses the old Sea-Gull logo from back in the 50s and it's a special version - only available to purchase by Sea-Gull employees with 20+ years service. My mother-in-law's classmate actually works for Sea-Gull so after arranging the tour and seeing my love for Sea-Gull she offered her watch that she got for her service.

Another "priceless" piece in my collection - it was actually in my watch box when the burglars last struck but luckily the burglars were Swiss snobs so only took the Swiss/gold pieces - Chinese and Russian watches were left behind :pac:

mAmmMmK.gif

UM0EdWZh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

IMG-20210208-173050.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

The old sea gull logo always makes me think of mazda

stuchyg wrote: »

Had a quick look - maybe Sea-Gull inspired Mazda? :D

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the-mazda-way/mazda-spirit/mazda-brand-marks-logotypes-history/

Apparently the modern Mazda seagull logo only came in 1997 (surprised me!)

Omega Aquaterra 2500. My first "good" watch bought new from Weirs about 15 years ago...it's perfect...it could have stopped right there...if only it had stopped right there...

WjhoP6U.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Fun in the snow with the 🐬 🔔 :)

K4ikIuO.jpg

uStSDK9.jpg

After suggesting this watch in the "Watch That Will Last" thread I went looking to see what second hand prices were like. I found a very reasonable one in the UK and couldn't say no...

So now I have my first titanium watch.

O4wWUaGl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    ..it could have stopped right there...if only it had stopped right there...

I think that sums up this whole forum perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A lot of us would be very interested in how you are getting on with that Pablo Flox, will you keep us updated? Private sale, new or second hand? Do you expect to pay VAT / customs charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

stuchyg wrote: »

The Vacheron Constantin logo (the maltese cross) always reminds me of the Iron Cross military medal (as used by the Nazis among others)

It was a private sale on a used watch. He posted it on Saturday morning and it arrived here today. No vat or customs charges, but it was declared as a gift with £80 value. I don't know if that made any difference. I had mentioned before that I had a feeling that Irish customs were overwhelmed and not stopping much of what is being sent from the UK. I decided to roll the dice and see if I was right. At least this time it worked out for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I ask where you seen it for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    it was declared as a gift with £80 value.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

542699.jpg

I can't remember the last time I posted a wrist shot here. I haven't really worn a watch in around a year, since I started working from home. There's a lot of discontent with these but feck it, for the moment it's doing the job for me. Maybe somewhere down the line I might feel like picking up a Steinhart or similar but this'll do for the minute.

Excuse the grubbiness, I hadn't wiped it clean.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can I ask where you seen it for sale?

www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchange/

You can get some good watches there, but it is mostly people only selling within the continental united states.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchange/

You can get some good watches there, but it is mostly people only selling within the continental united states.

There is often great value over there tbh!

• Advertisement

My first ever watch was an Invicta Pro Diver and I wore it every day for 6 years. Eventually I upgraded it and sold it on, but I have fond memories of it. That watch spent more time on my wrist than anything in my watch box right now ever has!

Advertisement