Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

On my way to work today. I missed a 'snow' shot. The Speedy is on a Colareb strap - one of my favourite/most comfortable. The Speedy is a real chameleon - I must change straps on it every day or so.

p6Kqpof.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cool strap! Any link to where you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Happy New Year

542728.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

On my way to work today. I missed a 'snow' shot. The Speedy is on a Colareb strap - one of my favourite/most comfortable. The Speedy is a real chameleon - I must change straps on it every day or so.

On your way to work?

At 12:53?

Do you work for a "web" company?

Wouldn't happen in my day.

All this were fields, you know.

Anyone fancy a Werthers?

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Mine today

20210209-141356.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

pjdarcy wrote: »
    The Vacheron Constantin logo (the maltese cross) always reminds me of the Iron Cross military medal (as used by the Nazis among others)

The cross pattée and the Maltese cross are quite different, and both are Christian symbols associated with the crusades. The Pour le Mérite (aka Blue Max) is the same shape as the Maltese cross.

unkel wrote: »
    Cool strap! Any link to where you bought it?

Here you go: https://www.colareb.it/en/

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    On your way to work?

At 12:53?

Do you work for a "web" company?

I usually work in my head, so start times vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

david wrote: »
    Thanks a million - sync'd it to time.is earlier and it's still spot on, hoping it's at least as accurate as the ETA 2802 in the Stowa Marine I had. I would be similar to you, I tend to keep the manual winders wound daily so any deviation accumulates. Autos, not so much important to me, I'm usually resetting the time/day/date at least once a week anyway.

I'd say the Alpha still has some settling to do, it's a grey market job with an Italian AD stamped warranty card from 10/21. Still had the stickers/uncreased strap etc so happy enough with the small saving over buying new.

It's a bit of a departure for me wearing a watch this small. In recent years I haven't owned anything sub 40mm. Might invest in a couple of straps to mix it up. I have to say I'm loving the stock horse's ass strap, very comfy and took zero effort to break it in.

I'm sure the smallest watch I've had before this was a Casio F91 I wore in primary school - won it at the amusements in either Mosney or Tramore on a school tour :pac:

Just an update on this 7 days in. I've worn it every day with power reserve kept consistently >50%. She's +39 seconds. +5.5 s/day. Pretty happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

IMG-20210209-230424-731.jpg

I don't believe there is a better looking sub €100 watch out there then this! (There probably is but I dont want to hear about it (-: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

4nrzR6j.jpg
    MHOxQYA.jpg
    1uxLbYw.jpg
    dhSFZPT.jpg
    j0MwYM3.jpg
    WnSu4xJ.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Going modernist as I occasionally do.

542884.jpg
    PotatoCam2021(c)

1975 LIP Tallon sold in the German market by Dugena. That I have two of this model should tell you much... :o:D You want a watch to get noticed? This will do it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Anjobe wrote: »
    The cross pattée and the Maltese cross are quite different, and both are Christian symbols associated with the crusades. The Pour le Mérite (aka Blue Max) is the same shape as the Maltese cross.

Yep but when something is associated with the Nazis (e.g. the swastika), all other previous meanings tend to get lost.

Anyway, let's leave it there lest we derail the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That reminds me, I wanted a big zero and was looking on russian auctions. There was loads of nazi stuff on it. https://auction.violity.com/search/result?auction_id=&query=%D1%81%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0&show_type=1&phrase=1

Watch section is here if anyone is interested but don't think they ship outside russian and a few eastern European countries https://auction.violity.com/auction/627-horologiya-kollekcionirovanie-chasov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Yep but when something is associated with the Nazis (e.g. the swastika), all other previous meanings tend to get lost.

The point was that the Vacheron Constantine logo (maltese cross) was never even remotely associated with the Nazis. The cross patee was (and indeed still is) used by the German military but is not a Nazi symbol either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cienciano wrote: »
    Watch section is here if anyone is interested but don't think they ship outside russian and a few eastern European countries https://auction.violity.com/auction/627-horologiya-kollekcionirovanie-chasov

If you know any Russian folks who will translate and drop the sellers a PM they'll nearly always be happy to post to here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Cienciano wrote: »

That green orient is a handsome beast altogether :

112872070.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wibbs wrote: »
    If you know any Russian folks who will translate and drop the sellers a PM they'll nearly always be happy to post to here.

Cool, I might try that. Not exactly big money and a great selection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Wibbs wrote: »

See now, there ya go again, all sensible and enabling and stuff.

Now, who do I know wot sprakkens Rooski......

See now, there ya go again, all sensible and enabling and stuff.
    6555819-mr._burns_unlock.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Very nice 27 jewel bellmatic on the last page! Don't see those often.

Can't go wrong with an SKX. This one is on a Strapcode bracelet with a coin edge bezel, and a faded bezel insert. Toying with the idea of sticking an NH36 I have lying around into it, but nothing wrong with the 7s26.

nZ85G9i.jpg

Bcbsm3d.jpg

BRCcVmT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The swastika has been around a lot longer than the Nazis and is totally not controversial in India. That said, India is home to Hitler brand ice cream so maybe WW2 didn't have the same impact there psychologically.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india/tasteless-but-true-made-in-india-hitler-ice-cream-cafe/story-C6usCqTUqv4zAeU30b0GVM.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Shinto, buddhism and hinduism all use swastikas (and rightly so, it was theirs a lot longer than the Nazis).

Just like the tricolour can be "controversial" - but can be reclaimed (I understand primarily due to our football success in the 90s?) I can think of no better way of "rehabilitating" the swastika in Europe by introducing people to pretty peaceful/benign religions and holy symbols.

Now, if you use a swastika tilted at 45 degrees on a white and red background - that's something else entirely - no religious symbolism argument about that - but the sign itself is nothing wrong.

White hoods are still worn on Spanish holy festivals too - despite how it looks to US viewers used to KKK history.

You see lots of swastikas on Japanese maps - it's their sign for a church like a cross would be on ours.

"White hoods are still worn on Spanish holy festivals too - despite how it looks to US viewers used to KKK history."

I used to live in Spain, in the very Catholic city of Tarragona, and the first time I saw the lads (all lads) practising outside my door for the Semana Santa (Holy Week) procession it certainly put a shiver up my spine.

Here's a random shot of my Speedy to keep things watch-related:

9wuULVr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Anjobe wrote: »
    The point was that the Vacheron Constantine logo (maltese cross) was never even remotely associated with the Nazis. The cross patee was (and indeed still is) used by the German military but is not a Nazi symbol either.

The original point was that the maltese cross on the VC reminds me of the Iron Cross. They are very different crosses but on the dial of a VC it's probably about 2 or 3 millimetres across and with my eyesight they look similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

My new watch finally arrived this morning. It was delivered by the postman and no customs duty applied. It was declared as US$30.

Regular San Martin packaging. Plastic clamshell box, steel screwdrivers (x2) and strap changing tool (signed), additional NATO and two spare lug pins.

Spent most of the afternoon sizing the bracelet as the twin screw fake rivet system is extremely fiddly, especially for a guy of my age. Finally managed to get it right by removing two links.

543081.JPG

San Martin Retro Diver 6200

Light was fading by the time I'd fixed the bracelet so will leave the wrist shot till tomorrow.

Well at 43mm by size alone it keeps my wrist warm.

543093.jpg

Non issued Heuer 1550 SG from the late 60's. Though it's hard to photograph it actually wears much smaller than the size might suggest.

Have it on a Kiefer Expandro bracelet which the German airforce issued with the previous issued pilots watches(Junghans, Steinhart). I found a nato too bulky and a bund leather daftly big on me. Funny enough those bracelets are hard to find now because collectors hovered them up off ebay, or they're daft money, like a hundred quid for one in 18mm, more like 200 in 20 and an actual issued nato number stamped one? Sell a kidney. :D

On the Heuer bunds and values? I've noticed a helluva lot of them are going unsold in the last year or so. Sellers seem to think they're a 5, 6, 7 grand watch and buyers used to but don't any more. There's one at 3400 on ebay that has something like 50 watchers and 5 views per hour, but still sitting there many months later(in open auctions they go for 3-3500). Parts are even dafter. 200 quid for a set of hands daft. 150 for a bezel. Again nada selling. Heuer prices in general have softened across the board and the market is stagnant. Then again outside of big ticket auctions and hodinkee hype and their captive audience of New York hipsters the market is stagnant overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

@Wibbs,

How many watches do you actually have. What’s your Uber favourite in your collection.

mad m wrote: »
    How many watches do you actually have.
    Around twenty. :o
    What’s your Uber favourite in your collection.
    I've three family connection watches so they'd be first on my person if I had to run. :) And one, my 30's Zenith pilots would be among my top faves. My 1916 Longines trench. Have it 30 years, never missed a beat, lots of memories attached to that one. Gun to my head probably those two. But then there's my Girard Perregaux quartz with the mad rare dial, and Lip Nautic and the above Heuer and... I have it bad MM. :)

The ones I wear the least would be my digitals and my Omega Seamaster and Longines UltraQuartz. The rest get a fair crack at rotation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Great looking watch Wibbs. I'm making do with my homage.

xAMUdzh.jpg

Advertisement