Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And a very faithful one it is. Even down to the crown issues... :) The joke is with the "real" ones the number of put togethers from spares out there is large. I'd bet the red ink on your (3H) could well be older than many of those Heuers in dealer listings.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Been wearing my new retro diver from San Martin (St. Martin de Wuhan) since I got the bracelet sized yesterday.

Retro it certainly is, 38mm and wears small but I like that.

Here's the Aliexpress link with the specs. for anyone interested.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001586987013.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.2539749fyspoBM

543193.JPG
    Apologies for the bit of lint at a quarter to 2

I'd been watching out for the Invicta retro sub but it was out of stock for a long time and then I saw San Martin had this and it looked nice with apparently better quality than the Invicta. BTW the Invicta one came back into stock shortly after I'd ordered the SM but is gone again.

543194.JPG

Above is it alongside my Steinhart 39 sub for comparison.

What I like about the SM retro sub is the no-date, the domed sapphire, the matt black dial, the bronze/gold effect lettering and indices on the bezel. The bracelet is good quality but not as good as the steinhart and sizing it using screwdrivers on both sides simultaneously is a real pain. The lume seems good too from what I've seen.
    I like it and not having to pay customs was an added bonus.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Been wearing my new retro diver from San Martin (St. Martin de Wuhan) since I got the bracelet sized yesterday.

Retro it certainly is, 38mm and wears small but I like that.

Here's the Aliexpress link with the specs. for anyone interested.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001586987013.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.2539749fyspoBM

I like it and not having to pay customs was an added bonus.:)

I've never really looked at Ali Express before. I see you can choose what country your watch gets dispatched from (although that narrows the choice of watch). Belgium was one of the options, which means no extra taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Cyclingtourist: "St. Martin de Wuhan"

That gave me a grin :)

Nice piece, though.

Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

oknepop wrote: »
    Great looking watch Wibbs. I'm making do with my homage.

That looks great, what is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moved the more chatty posts to the chat thread. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I have been wearing this since I got it on Tuesday and it has been running at about -6 seconds per day. I guess that it acceptable?

EhjY023l.jpg

I don't normally pay that much attention because I normally change my watch every second day or so.

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    I have been wearing this since I got it on Tuesday and it has been running at about -6 seconds per day. I guess that it acceptable?

-6 sec/day is quite acceptable for an automatic that's not rated as a chronometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

IMG-20210212-155030.jpg

If it's running exactly and consistently six seconds a day slow it's actually well within chronometer ratings, just needs a tweak in regulation. Personally I'd not bother though. Plus it may settle down with wearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

fat bloke wrote: »
    That looks great, what is it?

HKED Bundeswehr V3
    Just one guy that does runs of watches occasionally. Obviously as the name suggests, this is the third run of them he's done. They sell out quick though, so best keep an eye on his website and Instagram to know when they're coming up.
    https://www.hkedwatches.com/

69 bellmatic, Rios strap today.
    nv3oSUa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Pablo_Flox wrote: »

I don't normally pay that much attention because I normally change my watch every second day or so.

received the Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT premium 500 Ceramic in the post today. Need to wait for the jewellers to open to size it before I can wear it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    received the Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT premium 500 Ceramic in the post today. Need to wait for the jewellers to open to size it before I can wear it though.

Should be screws on the bracelet? If you can get your hands on a glasses repair kit or order a cheap kit from Amazon it’s an easy job. Just be careful not to loose screws

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Should be screws on the bracelet? If you can get your hands on a glasses repair kit or order a cheap kit from Amazon it’s an easy job. Just be careful not to loose screws

I’ll have a look. Thanks.

That's only bloody lovely O. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Always a treat to see another Bell-Matic on the form, really lovely watch!

dLeXqZk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I blame lockdown. :D Too much internet time, just couldnt resist.

543424.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cool. Explain the "chron" and the twin crowns or are they pushers?

Educate :)

IIRC one is a winder, the other is to turn the internal bezel, so kinda like the 60's and 70's compressor cased watches from various brands. The original Chronoris was a chronograph, also from the 70's, but this one isn't. I think.

Nice use of colour on that dial. Without the orange it would be a bit boring.

Welcome to the new open comment picture thread. :-)

• Advertisement

Speaking of colour.

Soviet-era Komandirski with American flag in support of a U.S. led military operation.

543450.JPG

fat bloke wrote: »
    Cool. Explain the "chron" and the twin crowns or are they pushers?

Educate :)

Like Wibbs said. Its a chron-a-like. Upper crown is just the regular crown. Lower one you can set the bezel.

Like Wibbs said. Its a chron-a-like. Upper crown is just the regular crown. Lower one you can set the bezel.

So it's kind of like the Seiko Alpinist, an internal rotating bezel. Does the rotating bezel have some way to lock it? The Alpinist doesn't but as that's used for reading the magnetic coordinates at a particular time it really doesn't need to be locked.

So it's kind of like the Seiko Alpinist, an internal rotating bezel. Does the rotating bezel have some way to lock it? The Alpinist doesn't but as that's used for reading the magnetic coordinates at a particular time it really doesn't need to be locked.

It can be locked yes. Its a screw down crown. I thought the alpinist bezel was a compass?

Its an Oris Chronoris. Its an homage to one of their own chronographs from the 70s. But this is not a chronograph - just the date function. They are 39mm and this one is on a rubber strap with clasp. It wears really comfortable. There are a couple of colour schemes and strap options available.

It ticked all my boxes dark dial clear straight lines not too big and I love that 70s racing look.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Very nice, enjoy it! Post some pics

I used the small screwdriver from my Swiss army knife to size mine (the small one that attaches to the cork screw)

From 1972. Girard Perregaux Quartz.

543514.jpg

This movement design influenced the frequency standard for 99% of quartz watches that followed. It was a collaboration between Girard Perregaux who designed and built the quartz module and JLC who designed and built the mechanical gears and date function. No jewels, instead they used teflon bearings to massively reduce maintenance cycles and was designed to be serviced by existing watchmakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

Been wearing this for 10 days straight.

Benefit of having a small collection is no watch gets ignored.

At 4 though I feel it’s a little too low and would like to mix it up a little more.

54-E6-B542-0126-467-C-8601-7-E9775781-BD2.jpg

My watch for DIY around the house. Runs to COSC spec, infinite power reserve. :pac:

vIEQLZT.jpg

God tier in the last two posts. :D

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    God tier in the last two posts. :D

Just shows the diversity of watches here - from haute horology on one hand, to Pateks on the other!

Advertisement