Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

893bet wrote: »
    I didn’t realise you were in the Army. No other reason for anyone to have a field watch ;)

I'm in the Salvation Army, fighting to save you guys from a life of diver degradation and despair. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Got mine yesterday evening.

IMG-0004.jpg

IMG-0007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Absolutely jealous of you people, with your shiny new deliveries!

However, can't help but feel delight at such a wonderful project coming to fruition.

I just don't wear a dress watch, but the Starlight is making me reconsider.

But the Equinox has me very excited. Perhaps an Explorer type treatment of the Starlight movement and dial would be considered?

I think a new penny jar shall have to be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Friday was a busy day watch wise.
    My Starlight was delivered, and my VC came back from service and a little bit of TLC.

I had the watch serviced by John Donohoe at thevintagewatch.net.
    I had been in touch with the well known Irish Horologists and it boiled down to a combo of responsiveness, price and 1 particular piece of work I wanted done on the case itself that swung me in favour of John.
    Emailing with back and forth he gave me an air of confidence in that he would make an assessment and let me know.
    Watch was away a little over 2 weeks and even at that I was very surprised with the turnaround being as quick.
    It's home now and back on my wrist and in honour of that ;)
    It's my 1st wrist roll :P

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K2CxrD5JwtQqAKKS8

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Hadnt heard of Vintage Watch/John, he sounds like a great option for services etc
    thx

• Advertisement

TedR wrote: »
    Hadnt heard of Vintage Watch/John, he sounds like a great option for services etc
    thx

There are lots of skilled folk (well more than you'd actually expect ;) ) around the country.
    But for what I wanted, John turned out to be the best choice for me.
    It was a close run thing between him, Alan Tully and a couple of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Some of my favourite things. I've had a Private Eye subscription since I lived in England. I've so many straps now, it's a merry-go-round as all the watches have 20mm lugs.

19LU2oh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Change of strap on the Boldr to match the sunshine!

553806.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/2m16wym

This little beauty arrived into my life care of Watchfinder, had to move around a few watches to get this sorted. I understand that these are marmite watches but after trying on 836bets one several times I was immediately impressed and became obsessed, while with the nautilus I was immediately underwhelmed and thats faded from my want list.

Patek Philippe 5167r-001

So far I am blown away.

IMG-0004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,027 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Congrats Fitz that's a stunner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

I am looking forward to an awesome double wrist shot.

I have never handled a 5711 but that’s an interesting perspective. I have heard the bracelet is delicate. Anyway that watch is ****hot and it’s the one you wanted a while. It’s dressy yet sporty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Black and gold always looks fantastic, add in the contrast of materials with rubber and gold and it's a winner. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭scwazrh

That’s stunning Fitz , real end game holy grail piece.Well wear

how comfortable are you wearing something of that cost ? Do you intend to wear it normally , as in walking the dog , heading to the shops , out at night etc ? Or do you treat the higher value watches as more of a considered thought before putting them on ?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Black and gold always looks fantastic, add in the contrast of materials with rubber and gold and it's a winner. :)

The dial and strap are a rich brown, gives it a really decadent look. Its subtle enough looks black in a lot of lights.
    scwazrh wrote: »
    That’s stunning Fitz , real end game holy grail piece.Well wear

how comfortable are you wearing something of that cost ? Do you intend to wear it normally , as in walking the dog , heading to the shops , out at night etc ? Or do you treat the higher value watches as more of a considered thought before putting them on ?

I have eased my way up to here over time so its not really something I think about. They are all insured. I am lucky that I live in a very safe, middle aged area. I have no problem wearing it around the place, but I would take it off to gym or do work but otherwise its open season. I didnt wear the leather strap watches much as in work I am a professional handwasher and a wet strap is a manky strap.

Would I wear it on a night out? Well a night out with the wife for a meal and cinema yeah no problem (remember those?). Night out in town with the boys...unlikely. That would be a Rolex event.

My life is engineered to be fairly quiet, and apart from my watches you would think I am a homeless person if you met me.

Its a very special watch, it look special to those in the know I am down to 5 good watches now and intend to wear the bollox out of them all. My next watches are planned but they are all much further down the tier list.

Went to the watch winder yesterday intending to put on my Aqua Terra but beside it was the Alpinist just asking to be worn for a few days.

Green & Gold

553840.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    The dial and strap are a rich brown, gives it a really decadent look. Its subtle enough looks black in a lot of lights.
    and my eyes at 9 on a Sunday morning. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

My life is engineered to be fairly quiet, and apart from my watches you would think I am a homeless person if you met me.

Ditto, and I'm sure 893 would attest to my scruffy demeanour!
    My current state of unkempt and uncoiffuered mess is made worse by my 1 man protest against barber price gouging :pac:

Well wear on the new piece, saw it on your Insta and was awaiting the update here.
    It is an iconic watch, and one that after wearing 893's SS one, I can totally see the attraction.
    Such a comfortable fit and form, tho no doubt yours is a tad heavier ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭micks_address

I have eased my way up to here over time so its not really something I think about. They are all insured. I am lucky that I live in a very safe, middle aged area. I have no problem wearing it around the place, but I would take it off to gym or do work but otherwise its open season. I didnt wear the leather strap watches much as in work I am a professional handwasher and a wet strap is a manky strap.

Would I wear it on a night out? Well a night out with the wife for a meal and cinema yeah no problem (remember those?). Night out in town with the boys...unlikely. That would be a Rolex event.

Its a very special watch, it look special to those in the know I am down to 5 good watches now and intend to wear the bollox out of them all. My next watches are planned but they are all much further down the tier list.

Amazing watch Fitz. Congrats on your collection. It’s beautiful

Patek Philippe 5167r-001

So far I am blown away.

How much did you 'blow away'?

Regardless it's a nice watch Fitz, well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

My new to me samurai padi.

553852.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

Down to 5 but what a 5. I don’t understand people filling boxes and boxes with watches and never trying to up the overall quality of their watches. Half the number of watches and get better ones. But horses for courses.

This is exactly what you have also been doing albeit at a higher level.

Wearing Cyclingtourist's pressie to me today. :)

553854.jpg

Still going and under ten seconds a week with some, well, a lot of tweaking. The only automatic watch I own.

How much did you 'blow away'?

Regardless it's a nice watch Fitz, well wear.

Eh thanks I think???
    One blows away money on "JOMW" watches, one stores money in a Patek. ;)

Eh thanks I think???
    One blows away money on "JOMW" watches, one stores money in a Patek. ;)

Wish I stored some of my money in a Patek instead of crypto ..What I’ve lost in the last two weeks would of bought me a Patek

scwazrh wrote: »
    Wish I stored some of my money in a Patek instead of crypto ..What I’ve lost in the last two weeks would of bought me a Patek

Ditto, value wise at least but it's the joys of crypto.
    Down quite a bit on paper myself over the last week too.
    But as the old adage goes, it's only a loss if you sell.
    I've traded out of BTC and into a few ALTs in the hope that I gain a bit on the upswing.

It's part and parcel of the risks in the crypto the volatility often equals opportunity.
    A personal opinion of mine tho, is that the $1trillion pulled out of crypto over the last week has to be going somewhere.
    There is an equity market correction coming and that is based upon a large amount of leveraged and margin running out for some big players.
    The Archegos liquidation is just the tip of the iceberg.
    A lot of cash raising is underway by the investment banks too.
    Positions are closing and margins must be covered or liquidated.
    I think there are a choppy few months coming equity wise too.

banie01 wrote: »
    Ditto, value wise at least but it's the joys of crypto.
    Down quite a bit on paper myself over the last week too.
    But as the old adage goes, it's only a loss if you sell.
    I've traded out of BTC and into a few ALTs in the hope that I gain a bit on the upswing.

It's part and parcel of the risks in the crypto the volatility often equals opportunity.
    A personal opinion of mine tho, is that the $1trillion pulled out of crypto over the last week has to be going somewhere.
    There is an equity market correction coming and that is based upon a large amount of leveraged and margin running out for some big players.
    The Archegos liquidation is just the tip of the iceberg.
    A lot of cash raising is underway by the investment banks too.
    Positions are closing and margins must be covered or liquidated.
    I think there are a choppy few months coming equity wise too.

Very true, no point selling at a loss. I’m still around 10-15% up so could be worse.Although It was nice to be able to toy with the idea of cashing out profit and buying a couple of grail pieces .

Nothing crypto about this lume.

553892.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wibbs wrote: »
    The only automatic watch I own.

Did I read that right? Only 1 auto?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Cienciano wrote: »
    Did I read that right? Only 1 auto?

Manual winding for Wibbs and the odd battery. It's a travesty really.

• Advertisement

Yeah, if wasn't made in the space age or stone age I'm not interested. :D I've had a few autos down the years, couple of Seiko's, a 60's Omega, a 1930's Rolex Oyster Bubbleback, a 60's Longines Conquest in steel*, but that's about it, that I can think of, this is going back to the 80's and 90's. The above Vostok is also the newest watch I own, by a good few decades. Vintage types are weird basically.

Actually that's a thing I've noticed over the last few years on forums, there are fewer vintage types as a proportion of the hobby/madness than there used to be. I suppose because supply got tight ad prices went way up.

*miss those last two sometimes actually. The Rolex was a pretty little(very) thing, the Longines was very nice and 39mm IIRC.

Advertisement