Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In rotation for this week is a manual winding Citizen Alarm Date from 1963 I bought from John Bentley at the watch fair in Birmingham

That's a nice one. I'm impressed it's from 1963 as it shows far more of a 1970's design cartainly in the case shape than your average 60's design.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Two Steinharts and a Christopher Ward... [runs] 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Registered Users Posts: 16,769 ✭✭✭✭banie01

With your current race towards peak horology? Is the make enough or are the models needed too 😝

I'll go with a Calatrava, some flavour of Zenith and perhaps a VC, either a boomerang or a new to you 1?

Post edited by banie01 on

Well one is god tier. But its a strike out for you banie there although one is a watch I have had before so a rebuy. (not the actual watch I owned before but same model)

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Thought this was the 'post pics of your watch' thread not the 'guess what watches I'm getting and win a shitter' thread.

Swiss Shitter,

Picture Netter 1989

Sorry CT was trying to stimulate a little conversation and build a little interest in the watches I will post later this evening that I am excited about, obviously nobody would guess 3 watches correctly so I wont have to part with my beloved Casio. Anyway we can get back to daily pics of your watches in front of your mastabatory material now, sorry to derail your thread...lol.

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Rolex Milgauss

Black Bay Ceramic

Blancpain Fifty fathoms

Aqua Terra back on its ultra-comfortable Omega bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Fitz

An ALS, a Zenith Defy Lab and a Girard Perregaux Laureto.

Whats the scoring system here, nobody's going to guess a straight flush, so so many watches out there.

• Advertisement

nobody even hit one yet.....although some of the guesses made me wish I were getting those instead.

Not as if you haven't got a thread with your name on it already. Don't you think, as these new watches will probably end up on your channel, that this whole 'hey guys guess what luxury watches I'm getting' lark would be better off over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭893bet

i have insider knowledge and can be bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

That looks large for a sixties watch, is it 40mm+?

Shut your mouth you

See above

Mandatory Pic...I call this one," the backseat moderators plight."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Mitch Mason Chronicle. Silly name but I like the watch. A perfectly acceptable beater watch.

I have to say Im getting a bit tired of your back seat modding CT!

You don’t get to decide who posts what where.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

I think you are correct Wibbs, was going off the information John had, along with 63 on the caseback

Did some further research and found a Citizen serial number decoder [Link] There's something similar used to date Seiko models.

Came back with September 1972 which is more in keeping with the 70s design. The movement is 3101 21 Jewels that uses a similar alarm design as the Russian Poljot and AS 5008 movements, more of a buzzing sound rather than a Bell. Still loads to learn about Citizen :)

Decided to swap out the pigskin strap

Irishplayer: I think you are correct Wibbs

Well even a broken watch is right twice a day IP. 😁

That lugless design seems to have come along in the late 1960's, I suspect more to do with accommodating the new fangled electronic and especially quartz movements which were initially much larger than traditional mechanical movements(even chronos were nearly always smaller than current tastes) and because the fashion had been for watches between 34-36mm for the vast majority of men's everyday watches for so long the designers went for the lugless look to reduce the apparent size of watches. Then of course it became fashionable, until the quartz movements got ever smaller and smaller and by the 80's the sizes started to reduce again, often towards absolutely tiny, for everyday "dress" watches anyway.

Taking the batmobile to work to match the lume on the new to me Bargirl. - Dublin 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,769 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Don't ride that bargirl too hard Fitz 😉😂

Gone back in hard on Rolex too, is that 2 out of the 3?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Fitz are you going to do a 3 watch collection for €300?

Timex

Squale

Casio.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Got the 3 of these yesterday. Swapped the Ceramic Daytona for the GMT and the Hulk. Had a hulk before and sold it to fund the AP and regretted it but didnt have the dosh at the time to keep it. I like the hulk I think the dial is interesting and its got a bit of oomph, new Cermit leaves me cold, its boring. The batgirl is a new one on me, like it so far. Went jubaliee even though I agree that the oyster is better on this watch...firstly to get the newer watch, movement and case and secondly cause I have now 4 other Oyster braclet Rolex so wanted something different.

The Casioak is there for a review on the channel, people rave about them and this is my first G-Shock. Its grand and certainly fit the beater role. I did the wife test as I do with all my watches (she is a watch and jewlery fan herself and has a good eye) and she thouth the Casio was cool.

Yes Banie, leaning heavy into Rolex at the moment, its just so safe and warm and I get a nice feeling off them. The only reason the Daytona pissed me off was that I felt it was not good value, certainly I would rather two other hype watches as above than a single Daytona. Must do a SOTC, get my thoughts together.

A few weeks ago I took a chance on ordering a leather watch roll on Wish with very little expectation. It arrived yesterday and well worth the €15 it cost me

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

Arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

What's the verdict re this timepiece?

Considering take a punt on one of them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

very nice .

Can I ask what you paid and would you recommend the seller ? I bought the blue one recently but thinking of moving it on for this if not a massive price difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Swapped the Ceramic Daytona for the GMT and the Hulk

that seems like a great deal . Daytona worth €27k ?? Hulk is making €17k and Batman €15-16k ?? Are those figures about right ?

I may have had to add a speedmaster and some cash also.......eek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A new strap for an old watch. Never liked the oyster bracelet that came with it, and never really found an alternative. So here's a jubilee to try, an skx strap or more likely a copy as it seemed too cheap to be genuine. Seems to fit rather well, I had to mess with the end links to get the fit tight, but it's reasonable now.

(Boards seems to want to rotate my pictures to the left )

Advertisement