Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Garage - Is planning required

Options
  • 24-10-2020 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I am considering investing in a metal steel garage/storage unit circa 9m x 5m and it would be located to the rear of my property - I am rural and not overlooked

Do I need planning permission for this structure thats basically bolted together and to the concrete slab

Welcome any advice

Paul

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yes you do

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yes you do

Thanks for that.. I had been told some time ago I may not need it - but I perhaps should address this with Meath Co Co to be on the safe side -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

If the size of the garage exceeds 25 sq metres, it needs planning permission.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I don't think you need it.
    If it's bolted to a base, it's not considered "permanent" so AFAIK you don't need PP.
    Your shed supplier will clarify it for you.

I don't think you need it.
    If it's bolted to a base, it's not considered "permanent" so AFAIK you don't need PP.
    Your shed supplier will clarify it for you.

Thanks for your reply and I was chatting to a local farmer who said once the structure is bolted to a concrete slab and it’s not overlooking any adjacent property - it won’t require planning permission. I was aware the maximum size without planning for a concrete garage is 25sq/Mtrs and that size is too small for my needs

If it’s not too much hassle I would apply for planning - but I’m told it can be a pain in the hole with all the box ticking and charges - drawings and maps and a project manager FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Most people build away and never hear from any planning enforcement so if you did put it together for a temporary period the likelihood of it ever coming back on you would be practically zero, which obviously is the wrong thing to do and totally contrary to planning rules

Most people build away and never hear from any planning enforcement so if you did put it together for a temporary period the likelihood of it ever coming back on you would be practically zero, which obviously is the wrong thing to do and totally contrary to planning rules

I see a lot of metal sheds and garages all around my rural area and I am sure the majority of them have not had planning permission - I agree we have to all follow the rules and be mindful of any impact any structure you construct on your property and especially with neighbours - I have already checked with my neighbours and they are not that close to me distance wise and none of them have any issue with my proposal of a 9m x 5m garage/shed metal frame construction and bolted together

Advertisement