Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiny bugs in cupboard!

• 24-10-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Please help... just found a few hundred really tiny bugs in our kitchen cupboard. See pic attached.
    Everything has been taking out of the cupboard and it has been washed with bleach.
    What is the next step here please?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

Are you sure they didn't come from the food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Google flour mites , should give you some info on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

The fact that you cleaned already, throw out the contaminated food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭wildwillow

No picture
    Edit Picture shows it is flour mites. They seem to find flour and grains. May have present when you bought something.

Empty all containers that are not properly sealed and wash well.
    Make sure flour and other grains are in sealed containers. Don't use any dry ingredients stored in the press.
    Only buy what you will use in a few months so it is renewed regularly. Buy in a shop which has a good turnover so product is fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

We had the same problem in work. A good clean and plastic containers fixed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ceirseach

They are flour weevils.
    Check any other flour, oats, or grains in the cupboard. Dispose of anything contaminated.
    I had them a few months ago and hadn't seen them in years before that. I think production standards are low at the moment, probably due to Covid 19. Though I'm no expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you leave any flour type product long enough it can develop weevils, they are in the flour they just haven't got round to hatching. Presumably there are batches that don't have them, but don't keep especially wheat flour more than a month or so if you don't want to see the critters. The eggs may well be there but what the eye doesn't see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Oh my god! Thanks so much everyone. I never knew these things would appear if you left flour etc in the cupboard too long. This is exactly what we have done.
    Ok. Everything has been thrown out, and any more baking ingredients are going into plastic containers.
    That is so gross to think they spontaneously appear if the flour is left too long. Ugh!
    Thanks a mill everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Had a similar problem years ago, now I put my flour in the freezer for 4-5 days after buying it, it's supposed to kill any mites or eggs. No issues since doing this.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

looksee wrote: »
    If you leave any flour type product long enough it can develop weevils, they are in the flour they just haven't got round to hatching. Presumably there are batches that don't have them, but don't keep especially wheat flour more than a month or so if you don't want to see the critters. The eggs may well be there but what the eye doesn't see...

I never knew this. :eek: I'll be checking the cupboard in the morning! Food usually has an allergen warning these days, doubt producers will be adding this onto their warnings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

I never knew this. :eek: I'll be checking the cupboard in the morning! Food usually has an allergen warning these days, doubt producers will be adding this onto their warnings!

Check in the bag of flour, if you have any you will see them moving if you have good eyesight or a magnifying glass.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Ceirseach wrote: »
    They are flour weevils.
    Check any other flour, oats, or grains in the cupboard. Dispose of anything contaminated.
    I had them a few months ago and hadn't seen them in years before that. I think production standards are low at the moment, probably due to Covid 19. Though I'm no expert.

Funny you should say that, we had them last month, first time I'd ever had anything like that and I bake regularly, they came in on flour too so I wonder has something changed in the manufacturing.

Glass containers for me from now onwards for flour and the likes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

bleach does not kill them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

jenneyk19 wrote: »
    bleach does not kill them

Well it might, but the flour is not much use after :D

Advertisement