Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclist in his 60s dies after collision with car in Cork

• 24-10-2020 11:37pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A cyclist in his 60s has died following a collision in Youghal, Co Cork, this evening.

At around 7pm, gardaí were alerted to a collision involving a bicycle and a car on the Lower Corkhill Road in Youghal.

The cyclist, a man in his 60s, was pronounced dead at the scene.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/1024/1173748-fatal-crash-cork/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

RIP :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Another statistic.

It's reasons like this I haven't cycled in a while.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

RIP :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

R.I.P. Awful tragedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The Journal facebook comments are a sorry state of affairs, over 200 comments as of an hour ago. Lots of people saying they get held up behind cycling clubs and find them hard to overtake, etc. Like that's relevant. Or people being called "liberals" for trying to defend people on bikes. There were 2 comments the other day when a teenager died in a car in Louth, and one when a pedestrian was killed by a driver on Wednesday. Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

i wonder how many deaths is that this year, what way is it trending? the wrong way i fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

who_ru wrote: »
    i wonder how many deaths is that this year, what way is it trending? the wrong way i fear.

With more new cyclists on the road as an impact of Covid, I would think sadly the stats are going in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RIP
    who_ru wrote: »

Traffic fatalities up to 9am on 23 October 2020

Pedestrians
    Drivers
    Passengers
    Motorcyclists
    Pedal Cyclists
    Pillion Passengers /Other
    -
    Total Year To Date
    2018 2019 % Change
    Driver 56 81 +45%
    Passenger 20 16 -20%
    Pedestrian 42 27 -36%
    Motorcyclist 15 16 +7%
    Pedal Cyclist 9 8 -11%
    Total 142 148 +4%

We're not far off the last two years, but in October. WFH modifies amount of commuting but leisure cycling is probably way up. Hard to control with no per KM travelled figure to use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A terrible tragedy, while i realise some people may want to discuss the incident or issues, please remember it is incredibly recent and its always possible family members will see this thread. No matter the reactions of others elsewhere, a family is suffering tonight and will do so for sometimes to come, lets give them some respect and keep this as a condolence thread. Discussions on wider issues can be brought up in a separate thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

RIP
    Condolences to his family.

Advertisement