Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

So you actually think gyms should be open right now given the circumstances?

yes most definitely
    the spread from gym was very minimal and the long term impact of closing the gym on people well being will be big considering everything else is closed.
    yes I know you can train at home or in a field in the pissing Jan weather. in the dark.....we can fight it out in other forum.

Augeo wrote: »
    Flyefit was a great setup but you still had goons spotting each other and not abiding to individual training only.
    chances are if they were spotting each other they and hanging out were seeing each other outside of the gym anyway. I wouldn't let it trouble you to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My view on individual training in gyms was that when case numbers and the R rate were low enough I had no difficulty with it. I doubt gyms, even large commercial chain gyms, were a significant driver of getting us to where we are now, and I don't think anyone actually even pushes that narrative.

Ordinarily if we got case numbers and R rate down I think we could have seen a re-opening in coming months...

But...

With the UK variant growing in terms of its representation among cases, and in view of its infectiousness, I read that it may be that the measures that sufficed in 2020 will not push the case numbers and R numbers down at the same pace as they would have with the 2020 strain.

In short, if we have to be stricter to get back to a managable level waiting for the vaccines to get us to 80% herd immunity (another % estimate that has risen on the back of the UK variant) then I doubt gyms will be back anytime in the forseeable.

Not gleeful about it, but this is putting home training methods and related equipment squarely centre stage, it is the only show in town.

Which means it is just great that equipment that we would have got shipped in from the UK is now stuck in a warehouse or on a lorry because of Brexit. So 2020... (Chef's kiss)

It's just as well I love bands.

paw patrol wrote: »
    yes most definitely
    the spread from gym was very minimal and the long term impact of closing the gym on people well being will be big considering everything else is closed.

As it is, that's just an opinion. We don't really know because contact tracing resources didn't have capacity to identify the source exactly.

And with the UK variant having a much higher level of transmissibility, it's an environment that lends itself to spread.

As much as it sucks donkey balls, it's the right call for now because with the numbers as they are, then there isn't really room to potentially increase transmission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

As it is, that's just an opinion. We don't really know because contact tracing resources didn't have capacity to identify the source exactly.

And with the UK variant having a much higher level of transmissibility, it's an environment that lends itself to spread.

As much as it sucks donkey balls, it's the right call for now because with the numbers as they are, then there isn't really room to potentially increase transmission.

that's the data the HSE and others are using to direct public policy.
    by all means it could be a bag of poo. But if they aren't using it then they are issuing crap data and (worse) using best guess estimation in wasting our lives in this hysteria.

anyway we can go all night arguing when in reality I really need to get the home workout motivation going....

chances are if they were spotting each other they and hanging out were seeing each other outside of the gym anyway. I wouldn't let it trouble you to much.

Well if you are at the station next to them 3m away and both of them have it then there's a greater chance of you getting it also.

I didn't let it worry me but gyms are now closed as you know so we've lost that battle ;)

• Advertisement

that's the data the HSE and others are using to direct public policy.
    by all means it could be a bag of poo. But if they aren't using it then they are issuing crap data and (worse) using best guess estimation in wasting our lives in this hysteria.

anyway we can go all night arguing when in reality I really need to get the home workout motivation going....

Not in its own they're not as they are perfectly aware of the limitations of contact tracing since the government hasn't resourced particularly well. They're using international evidence and some cop-on sprinkled on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Are some gyms staying open this time? Any gym I know that stayed open during the last level 5 has closed this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Why does it not surprise me that a good chunk of the narcissists you see posing in the mirror at gyms think the rules shouldn’t apply to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I'm now tempted to fork out the ridiculous price of over €500 for adjustable dumbells and not renew my gym membership as it was just up before lockdown 3.0.

I was going to renew my membership but all this opening/closing has put me off going back. I think I can a decent workout with 40kg adjustable dumbells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Omega28 wrote: »
    I'm now tempted to fork out the ridiculous price of over €500 for adjustable dumbells and not renew my gym membership as it was just up before lockdown 3.0.

I was going to renew my membership but all this opening/closing has put me off going back. I think I can a decent workout with 40kg adjustable dumbells.

Equipment is still pretty scarce though at the minute isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Equipment is still pretty scarce though at the minute isn't it?

i got adjustable dumbells (40kg) last week no issue.

I'll still go back to my gym when it reopens though cause I don't have the money or space for put towards a proper bench, squat rack etc and the barbell/weights i'd want.

This is the set I got. Irish company so shipped without any Brexit/An Post issues (UPS delivered).

https://powerballs.com/shop/40kg-adjustable-dumbbell

100euro more than the figure Omega was talking about though, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭caviardreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

jaysus, wear a mask while jogging ,its getting a bit silly now

https://twitter.com/RTE_PrimeTime/status/1349856561892626434

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

"getting" silly. It's beyond a joke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I can't open that link, but if a runner is breathing heavily then actually there probably is more droplet spread than normal.

Someone running in total isolation or able to keep six feet or whatever away from others ... Fine, I can't see a reason to wear a mask.

But someone running on a busy seafront pathway or on footpaths used by other pedestrians at the same time probably should be wearing a mask, if they're going to be passing within a couple of feet of others, which I see semi-regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I have no particular opinion one way or another; but I did train a few times while wearing a mask (including squatting) out of curiosity, since so many people consider it absolutely out of the question.

It was fine tbh.

If you were running outside during cold weather I could envisage the mask getting a little wet but other than that I think any difficulty would be more pyschological than physical.

I've also coached with a mask on which I actually found much more difficult. Harder to be heard and to communicate in non-verbal ways as well.

I posted earlier in the thread about doing quite a lot of physical activity, on a course I was doing, wearing a flame retardant mask, with a closed visor helmet on top of that. We were running, climbing stairs etc. It went on for eight hours a day, five days a week. You need to keep hydrated and all the gear got smelly, but no one had an issue with breathing.

To be honest I also don't have strong feelings about this, but I do see runners weaving between walkers along the seafront where I live, and I don't think the mask suggestion for them is in any way outrageous, that was all I'm saying.

They addressed the whole mask thing on The Science of Sport podcast a while back and Ross Tucker basically said it may make for a higher RPE but the physical issues weren't there for most normal people.

Not that the gimps on Facebook and Twitter who say otherwise would listen to sense.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters#:~:text=People%20should%20NOT%20wear%20masks,one%20meter%20from%20others.

FACT: People should NOT wear masks while exercising
    People should NOT wear masks when exercising, as masks may reduce the ability to breathe comfortably.

Sweat can make the mask become wet more quickly which makes it difficult to breathe and promotes the growth of microorganisms. The important preventive measure during exercise is to maintain physical distance of at least one meter from others.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters#:~:text=People%20should%20NOT%20wear%20masks,one%20meter%20from%20others.

People should NOT wear masks when exercising, as masks may reduce the ability to breathe comfortably.

Sweat can make the mask become wet more quickly which makes it difficult to breathe and promotes the growth of microorganisms. The important preventive measure during exercise is to maintain physical distance of at least one meter from others.

I love how the video shows people outside doing cardiovascular exercise, not rammed in a gym pumping their guns.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    I love how the video shows people outside doing cardiovascular exercise, not rammed in a gym pumping their guns.

I was posting it for the folk who were on about jogging outside.

1m probably isn't going to be enough and they have only been suggested if you're running somewhere busier where you're more likely to be in close proximity to more people.

As for microorganisms, if people are washing reusable masks as often as they should be then that shouldn't be an issue.

Also, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/sms.13832.

Just questioning the mooted health impacts of wearing a mask in instances that it might be appropriate because of physical distancing.

Ah yeah ......... still, I't take the WHO spiel over a "wear a mask when jogging" rant to he honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

In North County Dublin, Gardaí observed four people leaving out the back of a gym.

When they examined further, they found two gym instructors who claimed to be working inside the gym due to not having Internet to conduct online sessions. Six fines were subsequently issued.

Obviously not checking the gyms down here in Cork. What's that one in the Frankfield area?

Ah yeah ......... still, I't take the WHO spiel over a "wear a mask when jogging" rant to he honest.

That was my mildest ever rant, if that was a rant... :pac:

Anyway, that WHO page advises keeping a meter / three feet as a precautionary measure. Why? Presumably because they realise the risk of droplet spread.

I actually do think a lot of runners pass at less than three feet of people in busier spots. If they were keeping clear to a greater extent then as I said in a post above I agree a mask would be redundant.

Also worth noting that a meter would be considered minimal the standards of public health guidelines in this country even if we weren't talking about exercise where people are breathing more heavily. The HSE has consistently recommended 2 metres.

So who knows, maybe if the WHO were going to go beyond five lines of information and get a bit more nuanced maybe they'd be saying masks in congested areas where runners and walkers are mixing is not a bad idea.

I ignore rants.

I do think masks may be might be appropriate at times....I see some joggers weaving on paths and they could probably stick one on for the time they're on a busy stretch.

I usually ran on stretches where I wouldn't be encountering many people so if I could still run, I wouldn't be wearing a mask.

The WHO have changed opinion a bit on face masks so I do check their guidance as well.

Anyway, that WHO page advises keeping a meter / three feet as a precautionary measure. Why? Presumably because they realise the risk of droplet spread.

Also worth noting that a meter would be considered minimal ..............

Indeed, literally "The important preventive measure during exercise is to maintain physical distance of at least one meter from others"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

DuffleBag wrote: »

Obviously not checking the gyms down here in Cork. What's that one in the Frankfield area?

Is that open? Instagram brigade probably uploading their video's.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Esse85 wrote: »
    Is that open? Instagram brigade probably uploading their video's.

Nah no videos, which is even more obvious. Couple of instagrammers who would've been in there every day before lockdown, now suddenly not putting up any homeworkouts but putting up pics taking preworkout and "progress" pics. Some even 11/12 weeks out from a show but want us to believe they're not secretly in the gym

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

What's everyone's thoughts on the reopening plans?

Varadkar seems to have signaled it could be end of March before most open again, but that it would start with construction and schools, and then some outdoor retail.

Can't see gyms opening in February with the current case numbers - even if they drop they want to reopen the hospital's for non critical care so I suspect loosening restrictions will be slow.

But maybe by March if things are going well

After Easter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

To be honest, endorphin kicks is the last thing on my mind at the moment. I'm focusing on other ways to keep sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Indeed, literally "The important preventive measure during exercise is to maintain physical distance of at least one meter from others"

A few mornings this week a group of 4 joggers has passed by. Jogging one after another, no distance whatsoever. Saw something earlier in week that these new strains mean that activities that were considered low risk may no longer be safe. Time will tell i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

Check out this state of the art adjustable dumbbell set, all yours for 99 Euro. Bargain.

https://ibb.co/KDmKYRn

............NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Got myself some sandbags from Cerberus Strength. Arrived within a week of ordering them. Only getting them going but they're a very versatile training tool.

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    Check out this state of the art adjustable dumbbell set, all yours for 99 Euro. Bargain.

https://ibb.co/KDmKYRn

............NOT

They're in Argos for half that...assuming the full set is 30kg

Got myself some sandbags from Cerberus Strength. Arrived within a week of ordering them. Only getting them going but they're a very versatile training tool.

What kinda weight did you get? I was looking at them before

What kinda weight did you get? I was looking at them before

I didn't get an exact weight as they are a bit more dear. Got the 40-70kg and 70-100kg one. I've only had a chance to fill the lighter one and have put 40kg in it so far. I can strict press it but it definitely is awkward. Unsure if it's my poor workmanship or just that there's a decent amount of empty space but it isn't as compact as I'd like it. Still it'll do the job I'd say. I imagine I'll get used to it but it definitely is a lot harder than a 40kg barbell would be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/fj76nr/pandemic_proof_strength_training_a_solution_for/

I used that post to get a rough estimate for what weights I should use.

I didn't get an exact weight as they are a bit more dear. Got the 40-70kg and 70-100kg one. I've only had a chance to fill the lighter one and have put 40kg in it so far. I can strict press it but it definitely is awkward. Unsure if it's my poor workmanship or just that there's a decent amount of empty space but it isn't as compact as I'd like it. Still it'll do the job I'd say. I imagine I'll get used to it but it definitely is a lot harder than a 40kg barbell would be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/fj76nr/pandemic_proof_strength_training_a_solution_for/

I used that post to get a rough estimate for what weights I should use.

I ended up with a 45kg slam/dead ball. They are definitely more awkward than a 45kg barbell would be.

Yer man delivers it and it's in bubble wrap. Watches me struggle to get the bloody thing off the hand cart. I looked like I had no business buying something that weighed 45kg.

It's grand for putting away though and I've had good craic with it doing ground-to-shoulder stuff for conditioning.

And also because functional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i've bought some dumbells and a bench and was just settling into a good routine again and trying be content not even thinking about the gyms, but dublin bus announcing they've cut mon-fri hours back to saturday has completely ruined my week & general mood.

will have to leave 15 mins earlier everyday to get into work, and if the bus doesnt turn up,which isn't exactly a rare occurance, ill be waiting 30 minutes instead of the usual 10 for the next one. pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

They're in Argos for half that...assuming the full set is 30kg

Don’t think Argos actually have anything that resembles a weight left in stock!
    No benches either. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I think it will be at least post Paddy's Day before things slowly open back up.

I think it will be at least post Paddy's Day before things slowly open back up.

Can somebody rename this thread "Gyms to before 18th March??" or "When will the gyms reopen!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

So the muscle I gained back has already started to diminish, dropping the creatine has had the obvious effect. And doing cardio HIIT everyday and "cleanish" diet not helping either. No room in the apartment for weights or a bench or a machine of some sort so its this or nothing.
    The HIIT I follow on youtube is good though and super challenging but I've ALWAYS been a weight lifter and this is just a stop gap until I get back to the gym. I may aswell get a little cardio fitter than I used to be!

So the muscle I gained back has already started to diminish, dropping the creatine has had the obvious effect. And doing cardio HIIT everyday and "cleanish" diet not helping either. No room in the apartment for weights or a bench or a machine of some sort so its this or nothing.
    The HIIT I follow on youtube is good though and super challenging but I've ALWAYS been a weight lifter and this is just a stop gap until I get back to the gym. I may aswell get a little cardio fitter than I used to be!

I have bands and a pair of dumbbells...that's it. First lockdown I didn't have dumbbells...just a 25kg sandbag.

There is a lot of work you can do with even with equipment that limited if you do a lot of single leg work, tempos, pauses. Might not be optimal but you can mitigate a lot of that loss of strength

I ended up with a 45kg slam/dead ball. They are definitely more awkward than a 45kg barbell would be.

Yer man delivers it and it's in bubble wrap. Watches me struggle to get the bloody thing off the hand cart. I looked like I had no business buying something that weighed 45kg.

It's grand for putting away though and I've had good craic with it doing ground-to-shoulder stuff for conditioning.

And also because functional.

Filled up the second one with 60kg there, might take a little while to get to 70+ haha.

Filled up the second one with 60kg there, might take a little while to get to 70+ haha.

Nice. It's good hard work.

The 45kg was enough because I wanted it more for conditioning than strength. They are great craic though

Have you 5m2 available or that you could create by moving stuff around. That would be more than enough room for everything e.g. squat stands/quarter rack, bench, dumbbells and plate storage.

So the muscle I gained back has already started to diminish,......... No room in the apartment for weights or a bench or a machine of some sort so its this or nothing.

At the mention of no room for a bench I immediately thought of press ups. If you can't weight train there's huge options with body weight.

Sprinters do body weight exercises for their legs.... Worth looking at maybe..... As you say though there's opportunity for cardio work.

That said, ive little enough interest in doing much the last two weeks myself :D

At the mention of no room for a bench I immediately thought of press ups. If you can't weight train there's huge options with body weight.

Bench was the one lift I held onto strength the best with the first lockdown. Was back within 5kg of my max pretty quickly. Had just done banded press ups, tempo press ups and paused variations. Plenty of variations to turn it into harder work

• Advertisement
Advertisement