Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭rpurfield

They're estimating that it's present in two-thirds of new cases now which is only going to increase and it's transmissibility is why they will (if they are in any way sensible) be very cautious about the timelines of reopening.

I just can't help but feel that they will look at how things progress with schools fully open and some construction activity restarted before they start anything else and it might be after Easter.

ETA: with the supposed ramping up of vaccinations from April, they will likely be holding out until April on for a lot of things.

Have to agree with this, the special needs schools are back next week and the kids with additional needs in mainstream schools on the 21st. That's a test run for the schools anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

So schools will start to reopen this month, construction on 5 March and the government today said that hairdressers would be shortly after 5 March.

What about gyms? Surely they should be high up the list? Will it be 5 March? or with hairdressers shortly after 5 March?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The worst thing about the lockdown is we seem to be having the most prolonged cold spells I can recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JTMan wrote: »
    So schools will start to reopen this month, construction on 5 March and the government today said that hairdressers would be shortly after 5 March.

What about gyms? Surely they should be high up the list? Will it be 5 March? or with hairdressers shortly after 5 March?
    5 March is very doubtful. My head at present says April but would be delighted to see it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The government have said they are looking to allow non essential construction back from March 5th. At that stage schools wont even be back in full capacity so there is zero argument for allowing a non essential service like hair dressing back. I cant see any non essential luxury sectors open before April.

At level 4 Hairdressers are still closed so it'll be a bit after March 05th ........ numbers are coming down though so things might well open quicker than we expect....... I'd imagine it'll be 3 weeks after 05th March at least though.......... they'll need to monitor things after the last clusterfnck of a reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Ive just listened to Leos clip and he said it would be "definitely much later" than March 5th. I had felt it would be April all along and I still think it will be April before we see any major opening up across different sectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i've already noticed loads of pre-emptive complaining about the gyms possibly opening. i think a reason they will be pushed is it starts a constant domino effect of horse**** of "how come people can go to the gym but I can't go get my nails done or pussy waxed"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hairdressers won't be March never mind 5th March. Noises from Michael and Leo made that crystal clear today.

Cannot see gyms being any sooner than hairdressers, although that is just personal opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭piwyudo0fhn57b

Hopefully they will open again asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

tunney wrote: »
    Hairdressers won't be March never mind 5th March. Noises from Michael and Leo made that crystal clear today.

Cannot see gyms being any sooner than hairdressers, although that is just personal opinion.

It'll end up being a longer closure than the first lockdown last year by the time the Gyms re open.

I wonder how hard the loss of January joiners has hit Gyms this year, never mind the first quarter of the year plus whatever else the government add on being lost completely with the spectre of further closures later in the year looming. You'd have to expect some closures.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

i've already noticed loads of pre-emptive complaining about the gyms possibly opening. i think a reason they will be pushed is it starts a constant domino effect of horse**** of "how come people can go to the gym but I can't go get my nails done or pussy waxed"

Pussy waxed ha deadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Prolonged period of lockdown on the way according to government sources. Restrictions likely to last at least until the start of May.

Belly is definitely gonna get me at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Prolonged period of lockdown on the way according to government sources. Restrictions likely to last at least until the start of May.

Belly is definitely gonna get me at this rate.

While I expect indoor restaurants will not be open to the 1st of May, personal services such as gyms, should hopefully be open a lot longer before then. A road map is due to a published over the next week or two. Construction will be the 5th of March. Hopefully personal services are next up. And hopefully the next up date is late March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think it was more the hysterical types who weren't coping with the pandemic that were complaining about the gyms and I'm sure it's them again if anyone is moaning about possible reopening.

I've checked out on myself anyway and I am putting on weight but don't care. I suppose I should be thankful for the 3 or so weeks I got in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It needs to be explained to them that gyms are an essential service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It needs to be explained to them that gyms are an essential service.

Agreed.

What ruins it is people then jumping on it saying hairdressers and pubs and the likes are essential.

Gyms ARE essential.

Gyms ARE essential.

They clearly aren't.
    Everyone doesn't go the them gym, loads of folk join them and never go. For some folk they are a really important part of their lives buy that could be said for lots of non essential activities.

Are hairdressers who are out of work less depressed or anxious than gym goers who can't go to the gym?

I'm saying this as someone who lost 4 stone by going to the gym and watching their diet, I'm 100% aware of the benefits of the gym but in Covid19 context, gyms aren't essential.

The gym helps people keep healthy, physically and mentally.
    Good physical, and mental health could be vital if you contracted covid.

I understand that everybody thinks their 'thing' is essential, but the gym has clear and tangible benefits to a person, and a society.
    No right minded person could defend the governments decision to label gyms as unessential while agreeing that off licenses and take aways are essential.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Justifying a gym should be open because you can go to an off licence or as bad as the hairdressers saying oh the shops are open we should be open

A take away serves ****e obviously but it is fine under a controlled environment and take away only and the same can be said for off license and supermarkets

I want guns open ASAP but we just have to accept it’s not happening for the foreseeable

I know it's not happening. I'm just venting.

If ****e merchants can function in a 'controlled' environment than a gym surely could too.

I know it's not happening. I'm just venting.

If ****e merchants can function in a 'controlled' environment than a gym surely could too.

There's 50 unmasked people indoors in most gyms for an hour......... folk are in a takeaway for minutes, masked and there should be only a handful of other people in there, also masked.

There's literally no comparison.

Venting is grand but you aren't talking sense really.
    No right minded person could defend the governments decision to label gyms as unessential while agreeing that off licenses and take aways are essential.

Augeo wrote: »
    There's 50 unmasked people indoors in most gyms for an hour......... folk are in a takeaway for minutes, masked and there should be only a handful of other people in there, also masked.

There's literally no comparison.

Absolute shìte talk right here.

The reason gyms should be open is not because they're essential but because young people that go to gyms aren't in danger. Let them open. If someone feels they pose a danger to someone in their family then let the family decide what the best course of action is and what sort of protective measures should be adhered to(wearing mask, going at a quiet time, leaving if it becomes too crowded)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

The reason gyms should be open is not because they're essential but because young people that go to gyms aren't in danger. Let them open. If someone feels they pose a danger to someone in their family then let the family decide what the best course of action is and what sort of protective measures should be adhered to(wearing mask, going at a quiet time, leaving if it becomes too crowded)

Come off it, we're a year into it now and you're reasoning is - if someone feels they pose a danger, let them stay at home. Using that logic you could say that about literally any restriction so.

I want my gym open as my routine has gone to shyte since December but I can understand why they're not open.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The people that run the country only want us to go out for an essential journey or exercise outside, having Johnny and his mates heading off to the gym isn’t going to help reduce community transmission
    It’s isn’t only young people that use the gym either

Well it should be in the middle of a pandemic. It's up to people to help themselves. If their risk aversion is so high then avoid public spaces altogether. It's what they should be doing anyway. The restrictions are for them after all.

• Advertisement

Come off it, we're a year into it now and you're reasoning is - if someone feels they pose a danger, let them stay at home. Using that logic you could say that about literally any restriction so.

I want my gym open as my routine has gone to shyte since December but I can understand why they're not open.

Yeh I pretty much would say that same logic applies to every restriction. Not getting into the ins and out of Covid here, but yeah, it's pretty much what 'Living with Covid' was meant to be, before the vaccines saved our arses.

Absolute shìte talk right here.

Please do highlight where it's incorrect :)

Unfortunately lots of folk in society are as thick as sh1t so the state needs to step in and provide guidance and legislation in unprecedented times.

Do you really think every family has the knowledge to decide the best course of action in potentially life endangering times?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Just wondering but if the gyms are allowed open does that not suggest then other sport and activities should be treated the same? I wonder the reason they would want to suspend gyms longer as you may get all sorts of similar activity organisers saying hey were a physical activity too needed for well being and mental health we need to open also...swimming pools , gold clubs....rugby clubs...... tennis clubs. Maybe it would be a cascade of more requests from similar interested parties

................... needed for well being and mental health we need to open also...swimming pools , gold clubs....rugby clubs...... tennis clubs. Maybe it would be a cascade of more requests from similar interested parties

On a case by case basis golf would be the first to open.
    Once we get down to under 200 cases a day I reckon gyms might open, it'll be April though I expect at the earliest.

• Advertisement

He says, senselessly.

Who says 50? And who says they're unmasked?
    It can be done in a controlled manner, making everybody book a slot, wear a mask and limit capacity.
    If one is safe in a takeaway because they're wearing a mask, or on a bus, then they're just as safe in a gym wearing a mask.

He says, senselessly.

Who says 50? And who says they're unmasked?
    It can be done in a controlled manner, making everybody book a slot, wear a mask and limit capacity.
    If one is safe in a takeaway because they're wearing a mask, or on a bus, then they're just as safe in a gym wearing a mask.

Where is the non sense in what I said?

Everything you mention was in place previously except the mask.
    Surely you realise the risk in a takeaway for a few minutes is less than if you were there for an hour? Seems as you are so sensible I presume you do :D
    Although you came out with this scutter "No right minded person could defend the governments decision to label gyms as unessential while agreeing that off licenses and take aways are essential" !!

Gyms were limited to 50 people and slots had to be booked in most of them.
    You are proposing what was done already except now proposing masks are compulsory in gyms. Profound stuff.

Where is the non sense in what I said?

Everything you mention was in place previously except the mask.
    Surely you realise the risk in a takeaway for a few minutes is less than if you were there for an hour? Seems as you are so sensible I presume you do :D
    Although you came out with this scutter "No right minded person could defend the governments decision to label gyms as unessential while agreeing that off licenses and take aways are essential" !!

Gyms were limited to 50 people and slots had to be booked in most of them.
    You are proposing what was done already except now proposing masks are compulsory in gyms. Profound stuff.

Your nonsense is suggesting that some non essential services can remain open under restrictions, and others can't.
    Alternatively, you're agreeing with the governments assessment that gyms are unessential, but off licenses and curry shops are essential.

My 12 year old was in the height of it last night when he heard the GAA won't be back until April and assumes his rugby will be the same. It's affecting his mood that he can't get out to play games or train with his mates so where do we draw the line? I would say the return of team sports would be good for his mental health. Once one sport or sector opens everyone else would have their hand out looking to be included.

It's ****e and I miss the gym myself but deeming it essential because it suits you isn't looking at the big picture. Another thing to note on it is yes its generally younfer poeple in the gym, but don't these new variants of Covid affect younger people more? Bottom line is the Government are still spooked over Christmas and will be slow to open up no matter how much we all give out.

rpurfield wrote: »
    It's ****e and I miss the gym myself but deeming it essential because it suits you isn't looking at the big picture.
    We don't have to look at a bigger picture. It's demonstrable in a much small picture.
    There are plenty of valid reasons to keep the gyms shut, and so they have been labelled as unessential.
    But since essential and unessential are the only two labels in town, everything that remains open is therefore essential.
    Gyms are unessential but off licenses are essential.
    Government are still spooked over Christmas and will be slow to open up no matter how much we all give out.
    There's the bigger picture to examine. The whole country has to endure a longer, harsher lockdown so that piss heads could have their jollies over Xmas.

Your nonsense is suggesting that some non essential services can remain open under restrictions, and others can't.
    Alternatively, you're agreeing with the governments assessment that gyms are unessential, but off licenses and curry shops are essential.

lol

It's widely accepted that food is essential so takeaways are open.
    Personally off licenses aren't IMO essential but I don't think having no alcohol for sale is a great idea either. Again, a few people in an off license, masked for the duration of a few minutes is minimal risk.

There's a bigger picture to examine. The whole country has to endure a longer, harsher lockdown so that piss heads could have their jollies over Xmas.

That's a great point.
    But we can't go back in time and keep restaurants closed for December and stop all travel into the country...... we have to deal with things as they are.
    Lockdown has seen cases drop, hospital numbers are dropping and all going well they will continue to do so.

We don't have to look at a bigger picture. It's demonstrable in a much small picture.
    There are plenty of valid reasons to keep the gyms shut, and so they have been labelled as unessential.
    But since essential and unessential are the only two labels in town, everything that remains open is therefore essential.
    Gyms are unessential but off licenses are essential.

There's the bigger picture to examine. The whole country has to endure a longer, harsher lockdown so that piss heads could have their jollies over Xmas.

The bigger picture is the new variant is more contagious and the Government are spooked by Christmas. If you are insisting on equating 50 people in a building for 40 minutes to an hour with someone nipping into a chipper or off licence I'm at a loss.

Please do highlight where it's incorrect :)

50 people in a gym. Are you for real? The gyms were one of the few things run correctly when things were open. Hour slots, max 15 people in a HUGE gym, sanitizer and wipes provided.

You're only talking shìt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

50 people in a gym. Are you for real? The gyms were one of the few things run correctly when things were open. Hour slots, max 15 people in a HUGE gym, sanitizer and wipes provided.

If you're saying gyms had a max of 15 people in a huge space then you're not one to be telling others they're talking shíte.

• Advertisement

If you're saying gyms had a max of 15 people in a huge space then you're not one to be telling others they're talking shíte.

100%.. I went to the 5.30am Flyefit monday to Friday for weeks, there was about 20 tops but it was 100% as safe as houses.

One day I missed a workout so I went that evening having booked a spot.
    I couldn't believe how many bodies were milling round. I actually said it to some lad, we both agreed, this is going to finfish the gyms now and it seems it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

rusty cole wrote: »
    100%.. I went to the 5.30am Flyefit monday to Friday for weeks, there was about 20 tops but it was 100% as safe as houses.

One day I missed a workout so I went that evening having booked a spot.
    I couldn't believe how many bodies were milling round. I actually said it to some lad, we both agreed, this is going to finfish the gyms now and it seems it did.

Whtever about how many were in your gym, while i think they started off with a 15 person restriction, in November and December it was 50 person restriction - and my gym regularly had that 50, even at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

The Gyms actually might be a lot less busier anyway, I would reckon a lot of people have invested in weights and other equipment at home or turned a spare room or shed into a little home gym if they had a bit of space so there might be a certain percentage that just might not be back to the gym in the near future at all possibly, so they may not be as packed as we might think as was pre covid times/ I made a spare box room into a little get fit area and 2 of my friends have done similar with a shed and a spare room also.

lol

It's widely accepted that food is essential so takeaways are open.
    Personally off licenses aren't IMO essential but I don't think having no alcohol for sale is a great idea either. Again, a few people in an off license, masked for the duration of a few minutes is minimal risk.

Ofcourse food is essential, fast food isn't.

If we can determine that something is minimal risk because of factors such as time, and number of people present, then the same can be applied to the gym.

The Gyms actually might be a lot less busier anyway, I would reckon a lot of people have invested in weights and other equipment at home or turned a spare room or shed into a little home gym if they had a bit of space so there might be a certain percentage that just might not be back to the gym in the near future at all possibly, so they may not be as packed as we might think as was pre covid times/ I made a spare box room into a little get fit area and 2 of my friends have done similar with a shed and a spare room also.

I spend a load on adjustable dumbbells. but I can't wait to get back to the gym.

Don't have the space, or the money, to kit out a olympic bench, bar, plates, squat rack etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ofcourse food is essential, fast food isn't.

If we can determine that something is minimal risk because of factors such as time, and number of people present, then the same can be applied to the gym.

10 minute slots with 5 people max

yawn, huge gyms were allowed 50 people.
    I'm very much for real.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/1b697-covid-19-your-questions-answered/#gymsexercise-groups
    "Groups exercising outdoors should be limited to 15 people, including training sessions. There should be no mixing between groups"

That's where you got 15 from ;)

You, are the one talking sh1t.

yawn, huge gyms were allowed 50 people.
    I'm very much for real.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/1b697-covid-19-your-questions-answered/#gymsexercise-groups
    "Groups exercising outdoors should be limited to 15 people, including training sessions. There should be no mixing between groups"

That's where you got 15 from ;)

You, are the one talking sh1t.

Well I can tell you there wasn't 50 people in my gym. It was run exceptionally well.

Probably some Dublin gym again ruining it for the people that can actually behave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sugarman20

Anyone else turning into a fat mess?

• Advertisement

Well I can tell you there wasn't 50 people in my gym. It was run exceptionally well.

Probably some Dublin gym again ruining it for the people that can actually behave.

The hell you talking about?

Other gyms following guidelines and allowing 50 in were not behaving and ruining it for others? Sure.

Advertisement