Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

The problem in a lot of gyms is you get Muppets that just go for the chat and taking selfies, messing on their mobile phone while sitting on machines etc. I'm one of those in, workout, and gone. At least with the restrictions in my local gym it was hourly slots do no messing around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

billyhead wrote: »
    The problem in a lot of gyms is you get Muppets that just go for the chat and taking selfies, messing on their mobile phone while sitting on machines etc. I'm one of those in workout gone. At least with the restrictions in my local gym it was hourly slots do no messing around.

Not sure how little someone does is relevant to why gyms should or shouldn't open before long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

Since the nanny state wants to impose ever increasing fines for breach of draconian laws which is great for the coffers lets do the same for gyms and other businesses. Bring out rules regarding class sizes, marked out areas, entrance/exit paths, sanitisation, temp checks etc etc. Then if there are breaches rather than closing down the entire industry just whack the naughty gym owner with a massive fine. The reality is of course that there won't be any increase in covid cases from gyms reopening because there was no evidence that there was any to start with. The increased fines will deter the idiot gym owners and you can slap a fine on any member who doesn't abide by the rules as well.

I am sick of the "we are all in this together BS". Its a nice slogan when you have a coherent government strategy and true leadership but we don't and never will have this in this country. Go get facts and figures to support an evidence based approach to living with covid and let the general population get on with their lives whilst the at risk, elderly and infirmed get cocooned awaiting their jabs.

basill wrote: »
    Since the nanny state wants to impose ever increasing fines for breach of draconian laws which is great for the coffers lets do the same for gyms and other businesses. Bring out rules regarding class sizes, marked out areas, entrance/exit paths, sanitisation, temp checks etc etc. Then if there are breaches rather than closing down the entire industry just whack the naughty gym owner with a massive fine. The reality is of course that there won't be any increase in covid cases from gyms reopening because there was no evidence that there was any to start with. The increased fines will deter the idiot gym owners and you can slap a fine on any member who doesn't abide by the rules as well.

I am sick of the "we are all in this together BS". Its a nice slogan when you have a coherent government strategy and true leadership but we don't and never will have this in this country. Go get facts and figures to support an evidence based approach to living with covid and let the general population get on with their lives whilst the at risk, elderly and infirmed get cocooned awaiting their jabs.

Who will police the gyms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Basil3 wrote: »
    Who will police the gyms?

The Form police, seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

sugarman20 wrote: »
    Anyone else turning into a fat mess?

No, I actually lost weight. I miss the gym but lifting weights has no effect on my weight really. Sort your diet out and you wont get fat.

Also I wouldn't pay the 80 quid a month I pay for my gym if I have to scramble to get particular slots. My gym was open to all the whole time when they were open.

No, I actually lost weight. I miss the gym but lifting weights has no effect on my weight really. Sort your diet out and you wont get fat.

Also I wouldn't pay the 80 quid a month I pay for my gym if I have to scramble to get particular slots. My gym was open to all the whole time when they were open.

Wtf gym cost 960 euro a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Wtf gym cost 960 euro a year!

Westwood. Worth every penny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

They want us at 100 per day for a month before easing level 5....while they reopen schools. We haven't been sub 100 since last September. How is this even possible? :confused::confused::confused:

Do they feed you grapes as you bench press and do your high rep squats for you ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Was a member - switched to gymplus which is half the price of Westwood. It's certainly not worth the extra IMO but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

DylanJM wrote: »
    They want us at 100 per day for a month before easing level 5....while they reopen schools. We haven't been sub 100 since last September. How is this even possible? :confused::confused::confused:

It'll be July or August before we get to those numbers.

A long slog ahead.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

OmegaGene wrote: »
    And then heading to winter the numbers will go back up
    It’s going to be in out in out shake it all about for the long term

Mass vaccination is the only way to keep it down long term.

°°°°°

Poxy situation.

I hit the gym every morning Monday to Friday.

Not having it for this long is devastating, but what can we do? Other people are worse off for different reasons without a doubt, but it's still extremely frustrating.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »

A long slog ahead.

Or 6 weeks, as per the modelling. Based on current rate of decrease they anticipate 200-400 daily cases by end of Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Or 6 weeks, as per the modelling. Based on current rate of decrease they anticipate 200-400 daily cases by end of Feb.

As soon as schools return they will increase. We never had sub 100 with schools back as far as I'm aware and we have even less chance now that the UK variant makes up the bulk of our positives.

DylanJM wrote: »
    As soon as schools return they will increase. We never had sub 100 with schools back as far as I'm aware and we have even less chance now that the UK variant makes up the bulk of our positives.

There was a lot more open when schools were open previously, the October lockdown aside. Most counties were at level 2/3 until October so there was more activity, more mobility and more congregation across the board. Cases will likely increase but it's difficult to draw comparisons with the recent past because the very little will be open aside from schools and some construction.

I don't think the threshold will be 100 anyway. They said that for reopening in December and they went ahead with that. If cases can stabilise at a level that's manageable for the public health teams to be able to contact trace fully so they can help mitigate against spread.

I just don't think it will be July or August before that happens but then plenty can happen to blow that out of the water.

It'd be useful if they pulled their finger out with the vaccinations as well

A long slog ahead.

I reckon we'll be there or close to it (consistently under 200 anyway) by April.

With levels that low, vaccinations of vulnerable and still some restrictions we might be OK. I'm not sure what plan with under 18s is so there might still be plenty unvaccinated come autumn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If I was government I might be thinking that it is better to keep a tight leash until more people are vaccinated and then relax a bit. If they get schools and construction open again and can keep daily cases to something like 400 a day I think they'd be doing well.

If we did get the OAPs and vulnerable vaccinated, and then we come into the summer when the virus seems to naturally be in abatement to a degree, then provided we avoided importing new variants then there might not necessarily be a surge in the winter if the overall number of people vaccinated continues to rise.

My ideal scenario we align our quarantine requirements for international travellers to that of the UK, so that the border becomes less of a glaring problem. If the UK and Ireland present a united front in terms of quarantining international arrivals from danger countries then we might avoid big outbreaks of further variants that are vaccine resistant. If we did that the 'zero covid' utopia would be a lot more achievable than it is without coordinating with the UK. I get the impression that's the way things are going, the likes of Coveney has talked about trying to align with the UK insofar as we can manage. I imagine they're not the best for teamwork at present...

The UK will be vaccinated well ahead of us, so it won't like previous years where we'd be complaining about UK holiday makers coming with the virus... This year it'll be the other way around, we'll be the bigger risk to them...

Can't see us being open to UK holiday makers this summer TBH.
    21m to be vaccinated from April to autumn over there. They state programme extended also, not that they'll all be done.
    And the situation for kids is again.... Who knows.

543432.png

• Advertisement

I should have said, I agree about the UK holidaymakers for this coming summer... Don't think we want to see that.

I do think when their vaccination program is complete that will and should change, however. And they'll be done ahead of us unless I'm way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Maybe I’m naive or thick or whatever, but the thing I don’t understand is that most of us cant travel 5km from our home........yet the airports are open allowing people to come in to the country. In a pandemic, why would a person need to travel to Ireland or why are they allowed. What reason can they genuinely have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

People work abroad and off shore
    Medical appointments abroad
    People live abroad and work in Ireland

Oh yes, like the bloody dentist ;) I know there are actual genuine cases for treatment but most are probably h0rsesh1t.

Fair enough on other points, but you would imagine in a pandemic they would be limiting their movements.

Well, the enforcement of the 500 euro fines / prosecution will probably cut out some of the unnecessary trips hopefully.

The hotel quarantine that is on the table for travellers from Brazil and South Africa will eventually be extended to a few other countries too I'd say.. When that legislation comes in and is put into force it'll mean booking ahead and 2,000 euro for a 2 week mandatory hotel stay. That'll definitely limit a lot of the in and out travel.

I have a few Brazilian friends and they are looking at getting back into the country before that comes in, the 2,000 euro is a huge thing.

I was thinking about fitness and the gym industry in the next year (and even onwards). Maybe commercial gyms and boxes will be back and here to stay by the end of the year, but considering how things have going for the past two years you'd really wonder about any guarantees at this stage.

I have said before that I think there is a real move towards home gyms on the part of people who have the space and money to afford them. I know probably 5+ friends at this stage who have done what I did and put in a rack, bench and plates in the shed. It will only be a portion of the training population, but it's a relatively new development for Ireland and I could see it staying and potentially growing.

I also wonder if another trend will be a greater use of outdoor training by some gyms / coaches. We certainly don't have the weather for it but I have heard of one Dublin PT and small group training business that is trying a hybrid approach where they have an outdoor area with outdoor equipment and a covered outdoor training area also. Not quite as grim as bootcamp training in the park, but not the same as an indoor PT studio either. Would there be a demand for a business that was an outdoor gym... With heavy galvanised racks and pull-up bars, monkey bars, dip bars, astro, running track, prowlers, sleds, kettlebells etc. Could potentially cover some of it with marquee tent or other roofing, as the PT business I mentioned is doing. Yes, the weather is **** in Ireland and the rain might come in horizontal at times, but I wonder if it wouldn't be kind of cool.

The hotel quarantine that is on the table for travellers from Brazil and South Africa will eventually be extended to a few other countries too I'd say.

It would want to be. It's the most retarded thing I've heard...do they honestly think they are the only variants and they can't possibly have made their way out of SA and Brazil yet? The SA variant is already in the UK, ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Unless we can bench press the holiday makers who cares about them not coming over, we should be closed to all tourists

My concern would be that they are viewed as a nice earner for the exchequer, like the pubs at Christmas, and will allow it go ahead, therefore driving numbers up and pushing back the opening of gyms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My concern would be that they are viewed as a nice earner for the exchequer, like the pubs at Christmas, and will allow it go ahead, therefore driving numbers up and pushing back the opening of gyms

what would they be coming over for? To the shut pubs and restaurants? to the shut Theatres and Cinemas?

The gyms will be open long before anything a tourist will come to visit.

There is no way holiday makers will be allowed into the country with gyms and non essential retail & hairdressers closed. Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Anyone dare to have a guess when the gyms will open? June?

• Advertisement

Week or so after Easter IMO, early April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Augeo wrote: »
    Week or so after Easter IMO, early April.

I highly doubt that. I really can’t wait though!

In 2020 the first closure was for 4 months ish iirc ....... mid March to late July .......... with vaccines out there I am hoping for slightly shorter this time around.
    It's all just opinion of course but gyms were separate to restaurants in December for a spell so that might well be the case this time around also.

Yes, it'll be interesting to see how things pan out.
    The close contact testing will also see cases be likely at 400+ per day come month end which is almost double what they'd hoped for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Mid April would be my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

it will be the hope that crushes you

5 gps from the cork area told red fm yesterday that they arent vaccinating the over 85's for 2-3 weeks as they have no vaccine and delivery isnt expected before that time frame so if they get pushed back so will everything else.
    Irish times ran a story recently that gyms are not expected to be included in the level four this time around and that is even if we go to level four anytime soon, i am not expecting to be in a gym before july now at this stage
    Only 84 practices have vaccines this week. Getting really tired of these media ringarounds to GPs who haven't a clue but lots of opinions. People will be told when they need to be told. I am more optimistic on the gyms, still see April as a possibility. July for the vast majority of things is a non-runner. We'll have long passed the point of caring by then. Noticed a lot more people out and about yesterday. Sure, it's way warmer, but as days get longer it will be a whole lot harder to keep people in under these restrictions.

• Advertisement

they estimate with the schools going back there will be a million people on the road so case numbers will no doubt shoot up with that

Yes but by end of March there will be a nice lash of folk vaccinated.... It's not all negative :)

°°°°°

is_that_so wrote: »
    Only 84 practices have vaccines this week. Getting really tired of these media ringarounds to GPs who haven't a clue but lots of opinions. People will be told when they need to be told. I am more optimistic on the gyms, still see April as a possibility. July for the vast majority of things is a non-runner. We'll have long passed the point of caring by then. Noticed a lot more people out and about yesterday. Sure, it's way warmer, but as days get longer it will be a whole lot harder to keep people in under these restrictions.

More people are out and about because this week is a mid term break for school kids.

With the way the case numbers are staying up this time around I'd be surprised if we see non essential businesses open before the end of the summer to facilitate people getting back to school items for September. With that any increase in case numbers following that will likely be met with another level 5 with schools and building sites left open.

We might get a month or two back in the gym between August and the end of September going into October, much like last autumn only without the extra few weeks in December.

Glazers Out!

We might get a month or two back in the gym between August and the end of September going into October, much like last autumn only without the extra few weeks in December.

To be fair that seems terribly pessimistic, the vaccine roll out will be largely complete by the Summer especially with respect to over 70s, healthcare workers and immunocompromised folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rondog

After the December debacle and cases going up,the government has lost its nerve and will bow down to anything NEPHET says.NEPHET are basically running the countr and they give zero fcuks about anything economy or fitness related so i think they will push back against anything with that type of environment which is ridiculous considering the benefits both mentally and physically to people health.

WHen the elderhigh risk cohorts are vaccinated they need to open up and get the economy moving again or the consequences of these seemingly draconian endless lockdowns will be much worse any COVID related issues.

My opinion would be Mid summer for gym opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Surely we are only about a month and a half away from gyms getting open ,
    The start of April I reckon

• Advertisement

I agree......... in 6 to 8 weeks all going well the daily cases will be under 200/day .......... hospitals will have plenty capacity and a huge proportion of the vulnerable will be vaccinated along with all frontline healthcare workers.

Things will open up, non essential retail and gyms will be opening before sit in dining IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

More people are out and about because this week is a mid term break for school kids.

With the way the case numbers are staying up this time around I'd be surprised if we see non essential businesses open before the end of the summer to facilitate people getting back to school items for September. With that any increase in case numbers following that will likely be met with another level 5 with schools and building sites left open.

The end of summer is 6 months away. Non-essential cannot stay closed that long nor people remain under these types of restrictions. I'm still looking at April for them. The main issue from a government perspective is likely reducing levels of compliance. NHPET have already warned them about it. We might stick at this level until Easter but it will be much harder to enforce effectively after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rondog

Genuinely hope im wrong as i am missing the Gym but the Govt are far too cautious after the scare we had at xmas.If Tony and his crew start seeing cases rising due to gym being open the Govt will shut gyms down quickly.

COVID is going nowhere,theres the anti vaxx movement spewing their lies and many will heed what they say and not take it.There will be other outbreaks even after vaccination so we need to get the vulnerable vaccinated and then open everything up and get on with life.

We also need to stop the fear mongering and show case numbers every day and focus on hospital admission,capacity and ICU numbers.

rondog wrote: »
    We also need to stop the fear mongering and show case numbers every day and focus on hospital admission,capacity and ICU numbers.

To be fair, even Ronan Glynn said that back in August, i.e. that there is too much focus on daily numbers rather than trends and that he didn't think a daily briefing was necessary

People who say end of summer are way off,
    Its way more likely for things to be open in the summer months and then for them to close down again coming into winter ,

There no way everything stays shut for the entire summer its just won't work ,

°°°°°

People who say end of summer are way off,
    Its way more likely for things to be open in the summer months and then for them to close down again coming into winter ,

There no way everything stays shut for the entire summer its just won't work ,

The guide given recently was for sub 100 cases per day for a month before restrictions would be eased. We're at approximately 800-900 cases per day at the moment. Schools are being phased back from next month or for context in the next two weeks, numbers will increase with that happening, the situation isn't static and we're not going to see anything other than level 5 with schools and construction re opening until those numbers are way down.

It may well be difficult to enforce lockdown the longer it goes on, but by the same token most people would prefer to get things right this time than face the prospect of being in lockdown again this time next year.

We're in this situation because of how things were handled at the back end of last year. Gyms and retail weren't the cause of it and we all know they weren't but were stuck with these case numbers and we're not coming out of level 5 anywhere close to April, reopening schools and construction sites needs to happen, opening non essential businesses with the possiblity of a surge in case numbers isn't going to happen.

It's a crap situation without a doubt but June would be an optimistic time to see Gyms reopening, more likely further out as any upswing in numbers will see us in another indefinite lockdown which is what we are effectively in at the moment.

But hey, at least people got to drink on the streets for a few months last year, hope they had the craic because the rest of us are carrying the can for them now.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The guide given recently was for sub 100 cases per day for a month before restrictions would be eased. We're at approximately 800-900 cases per day at the moment. Schools are being phased back from next month or for context in the next two weeks, numbers will increase with that happening, the situation isn't static and we're not going to see anything other than level 5 with schools and construction re opening until those numbers are way down.

It may well be difficult to enforce lockdown the longer it goes on, but by the same token most people would prefer to get things right this time than face the prospect of being in lockdown again this time next year.

We're in this situation because of how things were handled at the back end of last year. Gyms and retail weren't the cause of it and we all know they weren't but were stuck with these case numbers and we're not coming out of level 5 anywhere close to April, reopening schools and construction sites needs to happen, opening non essential businesses with the possiblity of a surge in case numbers isn't going to happen.

It's a crap situation without a doubt but June would be an optimistic time to see Gyms reopening, more likely further out as any upswing in numbers will see us in another indefinite lockdown which is what we are effectively in at the moment.

But hey, at least people got to drink on the streets for a few months last year, hope they had the craic because the rest of us are carrying the can for them now.

There's no way we will ever see under 100 cases a day consistently, ever again.
    The buy-in isnt there from the public. We will get to 100-200 range at best, but it will likely plateau there.

That sounds like day dreaming to be honest,

There is only so long people can keep this up , there is no way we go through a summer of lockdown if number are 200 or so , its just not going to happen ,

°°°°°

That sounds like day dreaming to be honest,

There is only so long people can keep this up , there is no way we go through a summer of lockdown if number are 200 or so , its just not going to happen ,

I agree. It's insane to expect what NPHET are aiming for and people will begin to get uneasy the longer this continues.

Because the government made ludicrous decisions at the end of last year NPHET are now firmly in control of this situation and the government won't dare go against their guidance.

We know that there were enormous numbers of clusters arising from house parties, people drinking on the streets, people having huge get togethers in GAA clubs etc.
    I don't recall once seeing a single story outlining how clusters were emerging from Gyms.

I'm sickened by this situation, I go to the gym every weekday morning my fitness has gone to the dogs since Christmas, I work from home full time and have two kids to take care of during the day while my wife is out at work. I have no energy to do anything but collapse in bed in the evenings at the moment. Were the Gyms open it'd be an absolute god send for me but looking at things from a pragmatic stand point I can only see the gym as something that will only be available to me again way down the line.

Glazers Out!

I agree about the 100 cases a day being unrealistic... I wouldn't be surprised if our plateau figure is something like 100-400 cases a day more like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement