Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I agree about the 100 cases a day being unrealistic... I wouldn't be surprised if our plateau figure is something like 100-400 cases a day more like.

The thing about the vaccinations is that it takes most of the risk out of covid - as the elderly and vulnerable get vaccinated then even if we have 1000 cases a day, the hospitalisations and death will be a fraction of what they were before.

With mass vaccinations starting, the number of positive covid tests should not be used as any kind of metric to justify lockdowns.

If enough people make enough noise about this then we might see gyms opening earlier than expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

timmyntc wrote: »
    The thing about the vaccinations is that it takes most of the risk out of covid - as the elderly and vulnerable get vaccinated then even if we have 1000 cases a day, the hospitalisations and death will be a fraction of what they were before.

With mass vaccinations starting, the number of positive covid tests should not be used as any kind of metric to justify lockdowns.

If enough people make enough noise about this then we might see gyms opening earlier than expected.
    We'll have to see the new Living with COVID plan first, due imminently. Some things will move around.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I'll not reiterate what is being said above, the sledgehammer fix of L5 lockdown is all the government know and will keep it until they are "happy" with vaccination numbers, which are diabolically ****e at the moment.

Personally I don't really care for others any longer, they are not my concern and why should they be... I have done my bit and always did and still doing, I travelled last year, but I did what was needed on returning etc.

I would have the gyms open today, but I am not in charge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Ah come on, €800 for a pair of dumbbells?! LOL, jesus christ lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ah come on, €800 for a pair of dumbbells?! LOL, jesus christ lads!

If you'll get use out of them and you would use a range of dumbbells, then it's not as mad expensive.

A pair of 40s alone would cost €200+ and it's equivalent of 12 sets of dumbbells going from 5kg to 40kg.

A pair of 20s would cost €100+. There are 7 different weights from 20-40kg.

You won't buy that range of dumbbells separately for less than €765 so it's not expensive for what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

If you'll get use out of them and you would use a range of dumbbells, then it's not as mad expensive.

A pair of 40s alone would cost €200+ and it's equivalent of 12 sets of dumbbells going from 5kg to 40kg.

A pair of 20s would cost €100+. There are 7 different weights from 20-40kg.

You won't buy that range of dumbbells separately for less than €765 so it's not expensive for what it is

Aye, I would argue an adjustable should be considerably cheaper though as there is considerably less material used.

DylanJM wrote: »
    Aye, I would argue an adjustable should be considerably cheaper though as there is considerably less material used.

Powerblocks charge more for being a premium product. The comparison was with bog standard Strength Shop hex dumbbells and there was still a significant enough saving.

Pairs of 20/25/30/35/40 (5 pairs) of hex dumbbells from MCSport would cost €1,195

But I would presume there's a premiun for the fact that they are not taking up as much space as the suite of dumbbells they would in theory replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I’ve lost strength, I’m flabby and pissed off! Open the facking gyms!!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I’ve lost strength, I’m flabby and pissed off! Open the facking gyms!!

I did go flabby(ish) especially over Xmas but have managed to lose it again but strength and most definitely muscle has faded, doing poxy HIIT sessions and using resistance bands, just consumes muscle rather than maintains it.

When the gyms open it will be 12 months before I can get back to where I was and I'm over 50, there are only so many comebacks I have in me... ffs sake!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well that was some nice piss poured over our hopes this morning.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    what new misery did i miss
    pissing down here so my morning 15km hike is out the window :mad:

Amenities more essential than gyms are staying shut until May. Presumably, pushing us back much further.

This government is a fúcking disaster. Imagine announcing something as big as 9 more weeks of lockdown in an exclusive interview to the Mirror of all rags at 10PM on a Thursday night.

1_I210218_182553_6285518oTextTRMRMMGLPICT000228885206o.jpg

Why the fúck are they smiling? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This government is a fúcking disaster. Imagine announcing something as big as 9 more weeks of lockdown in an exclusive interview to the Mirror of all rags at 10PM on a Thursday night.

1_I210218_182553_6285518oTextTRMRMMGLPICT000228885206o.jpg

Because it doesn't affect them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lockdowns forever until the people say enough is enough. It's past that time.

ah so just what they said yesterday really then[/B]

Didn't realise it was announced last night, only catching it this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Didn't realise it was announced last night, only catching it this morning.
    Well, "announced" in a Daily Mirror interview!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Lockdowns forever until the people say enough is enough. It's past that time.

But the polls they quote all say that 70% + of people are in favour of lockdowns

More QALY, and QALY lost will continue to rise have been lost due to lockdown than has been saved by lockdowns

Amenities more essential than gyms are staying shut until May. Presumably, pushing us back much further.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/covid-19-ireland-live-taoiseach-23527462

"Michael Martin would not be drawn on when personal services such as hairdressers would reopen but indicated that the industry could possibly be closed for an extended period after April.

He said: “We’ve got to take it in phases, we can not project the full year out, it would be dishonest to try and do that with Covid-19.

“That said, we understand where personal services come in as a sector and that’s something we’d like to be looking at some stage but we do want to get vaccinations done.

“So I think we’ll be looking at all that sometime towards the end of the second quarter, if not before it.”

When put to him that it would be the end of June, he added: “No, I’m not going to put that date. Ronan Glynn (Deputy Chief Medical Officer) and ourselves discussed beyond April you can’t really predict.”

Are hairdressers more essential than gyms? Or should we look at it from a risk perspective? Can you go into a gym without registering a close contact? Can you do that in a hairdresser?

Meh. Makes no difference to me when, how or who they announce it to. I don't even care that they're not looking miserable. It is what it is.

My only regret is not upping my family and taking off to NZ a year ago. Knowing my family over there have been living a normal life for all this time is depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The annoying thing is that take away pints will probably be allowed before Gyms.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    The annoying thing is that take away pints will probably be allowed before Gyms.

They are allowed now under current legislation but it's discouraged.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/forget-about-takeaway-pints-taoiseach-warns-publicans-1.4451757

I noticed 3 pubs in urban Cork last weekend who were open (not quite the city)

One of them has on their facebook "Open for takeaway tea, coffees, liqueur coffees, selected draughts and hot ports/whiskey"
    https://www.facebook.com/PierHeadInn

A post from Jan 15 "We are open for Winter warmers takeaway. Tea, coffee (Americano, Cappuccino etc), Hot Choclate, Liqueur coffee (Baileys, Amaretto, Rum, Whiskey or Brandy), Baileys Hot Chocolate, Hot Whiskey or Hot Port. Other options also available, just ask."

I know of a good few places in Dublin doing them

Yes, no doubt it's countrywide.
    Not much of an issue now as folk aren't congregating outside as the weather is less than good.
    Hopefully when the weather improves the cases will be so low that it's fine (ish) to gather outside.
    Won't be doing it myself though, not my thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I know of a good few places in Dublin doing them

any places in dublin city? I can't find anywhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Anyone any tips on where I could get a reasonably inexpensive folding treadmill? Not the best for running outdoors and doesn't look like I'll be back in a gym before April.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/no-meeting-in-groups-outdoors-or-travel-further-than-5km-until-may-under-new-plan-40111982.html

Key part for me:
    Ministers said the Government will consider easing the 5km travel ban and people may also be permitted to meet outdoors in bigger groups if the virus is under control in May.

Meanwhile Denmark and Sweden both plan to have the adult population vaccinated by end of June.

Meanwhile Denmark and Sweden both plan to have the adult population vaccinated by end of June.

1m doses a month supply from April should ensure we get the bulk of the adult population done by the end of September.......... the government reckon supply is our constraint, not administration.

England looking to reopen gyms on 12th April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Augeo wrote: »
    1m doses a month supply from April should ensure we get the bulk of the adult population done by the end of September.......... the government reckon supply is our constraint, not administration.

Don't forget there's a 3 month wait in between first and second dose of some vaccines.

Don't forget there's a 3 month wait in between first and second dose of some vaccines.

3 week wait and studies show that immunity is at 75-80% after one dose

• Advertisement

April, May, June, July, August & September........ 1m/month is 6m doses administered.

5m people, about 3.5 million are adults :)

what I said "1m doses a month supply from April should ensure we get the bulk of the adult population done by the end of September.......... the government reckon supply is our constraint, not administration."

3 month wait is only for the AZ vaccine iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I reckon the gyms will be open a lot sooner than is being predicted here.

Micheal Martin mentioned that peoples behavior changed noticeably when the date of restrictions being lifted was flagged well in advance last time so this time I think the messaging is being overly conservative to dampen expectations. I expect things will be back to normal a lot sooner than people expect with the vaccine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Patsy167 wrote: »

Micheal Martin mentioned that peoples behavior changed noticeably when the date of restrictions being lifted was flagged well in advance last time so this time I think the messaging is being overly conservative to dampen expectations. I expect things will be back to normal a lot sooner than people expect with the vaccine

I'd love for that to be true, but we're seeing experts warning about school reopenings today and with NPHET in control of all things lockdown related I'd be surprised if the schools reopening weren't pushed back which leaves exiting level 5 further back again.
    Gyms are well behind that curve unfortunately.

Glazers Out!

Patsy167 wrote: »

I'm sticking to my April guesstimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

I suspect that level 3 will be in place on 1 May with non-essential retail and gyms reopening on that date.

Once schools and construction are open after Easter, the pressure will be on the government to lighten restrictions further.

People are really really fed up with the restrictions now. The government are going to have to give a date for level 3 sooner rather than later to give people something to look forward too.

JTMan wrote: »
    People are really really fed up with the restrictions now. The government are going to have to give a date for level 3 sooner rather than later to give people something to look forward too.

It shouldn't be based on a date. A date is meaningless. They did that before Christmas and started at a much higher starting point than they should have.

But if it was based on some objective numbers, it might actually convince people to sit tight until the time.

According to RTÉ the outline for living with covid is unlikely to contain any set dates for opening but will be a rough plan of where we are going ie a revised level 5 4 3 2 and 1

On the 6th of March, we'll be in some hodgepodge of levels in this new plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It shouldn't be based on a date. A date is meaningless. They did that before Christmas and started at a much higher starting point than they should have.

But if it was based on some objective numbers, it might actually convince people to sit tight until the time.

That's the thing isn't it. They pick dates based on modelling but the modelling can only account for a predicted set of variables. People's actual actions can utterly change those variables and mean the modelling becomes inaccurate. If we were told, when the 14 day incidence rate is below X cases a day and hospital/ICU cases are below Y/Z, we can go to Level 3. People would understand that and take action to minimise the spread. It passes a larger degree of the responsibility back to us and removes a lot of the continued uncertainty.

iguana wrote: »
    That's the thing isn't it. They pick dates based on modelling but the modelling can only account for a predicted set of variables. People's actual actions can utterly change those variables and mean the modelling becomes inaccurate. If we were told, when the 14 day incidence rate is below X cases a day and hospital/ICU cases are below Y/Z, we can go to Level 3. People would understand that and take action to minimise the spread. It passes a larger degree of the responsibility back to us and removes a lot of the continued uncertainty.

You would hope it would have that effect. People are more likely to buy in if they feel that compliance with the guidance is rewarded.

But the government needs to up its game as well. Quarantine only mandatory if you're coming from South Africa or Brazil is beyond stupid.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »

But that would mean that Leo ant get himself in the media by his shooting from the hip

How have FG allowed that clown stay as party leader given his unprofessional way of acting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

But the government needs to up its game as well. Quarantine only mandatory if you're coming from South Africa or Brazil is beyond stupid.

Absolutely. I have no problem with doing what is necessary to stop the spread of the virus. I mightn't enjoy it but I will absolutely do it. But if I'm just constantly having to have my own life curbed enormously in order keep on quashing transmission that is continuously being brought in from people coming/returning from less restrictive countries, then I do have a massive problem with it. If proper travel restrictions had been introduced in the summer when our virus levels were low then we wouldn't have to have these continuing strict restrictions for such lengthy periods. We might still have had periods, especially in winter, where things had to shut. But for briefer, less restrictive periods. We can not keep on living like this as our day to day life so that some people can have holidays, that even includes people who's family is abroad. I sympathise with them massively but we can't keep doing this.

I'm making the absolute most of this lockdown. I was sick for most of the first one and the pain from chest inflammation only abated towards the end of the second one. I actually enjoyed January enormously I made a gym in my livingroom and am finally back to my pre-March levels of fitness and strength. I'm more flexible than I was and I've hit some gymnastic goals, though I still can't hold a solid handstand. I'm still having a nice time most days. But even at that I can feel a panicky despair creeping in when I think about the coming months. People who found January tough must be in despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rondog

The Govt have lost the people.

Ive been following guidelines since last March ,a year now,and we are in no better position than we were a year ago.Failings after failings by the Govt.

The reason there are new cases is because people are having house parties, visiting other relatives etc.I know elderly people that have been strictly shielding that have said fcuk it,its their golden years and theyve just gone out and gotten on with things ie visiting Family, Grandkids etc.

ALl you have to do is look at social media to see the frustration and despair people have with this whole situation.We are asked to take extraordinary measures while the Govt have failed their end.

I think the outcome of these lcokdowns will be worse than the covid situation itself.Hundreds of thousands out of work,all other diseases ignored,i read potentially 1 million on hospital waiting lists.Also, the fact that we have ignored Economic considerations completely is crazy,many businesses will never open up again,the health consequences mentally and physically of lockdowns have been brutal.

Everyone has their own opinions and I realise COVID is not the flu but we lose people each year to the flu,kids get hospitalised but we dont shut down the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The whole Brazilians entering last week has really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way(and rightfully so)

Think of all the folks who have been following the rules and then you see 1500 people from a covid19 hotspot(with a variant) enter the country...I mean at that rate, what the point in having restrictions if you allow sure an influx

rondog wrote: »

Everyone has their own opinions and I realise COVID is not the flu but we lose people each year to the flu,kids get hospitalised but we dont shut down the whole country.

Because there is a flu vaccine and it's less contagious than Covid.
    Covid Vaccines are the way out of this, there was never any other way.

Augeo wrote: »
    Because there is a flu vaccine and it's less contagious than Covid.
    Covid Vaccines are the way out of this, there was never any other way.

There is a Flu vaccine but still thousands are hospitalised and die every year,that includes children in Ireland.We dont seem to close down each year for Flu season.

• Advertisement

Imagine what would happen in flu season with no vaccine.

There was thousands of cases of the Flu in 2019(before the FLu magically disappeared) with 627 hospitalised.

The same probably died with the Flu as COVID only we cant tell because anyone testing positive with COVID when they die are being listed as death by COVID when this is not the case as a huge majority have underlying illnesses

There is a Flu vaccine but still thousands are hospitalised and die every year,that includes children in Ireland.We dont seem to close down each year for Flu season.

Its the sheer volume of people needing hospital for a more transmissible, more virulent virus than the flu that's the issue.

The country didn't fully open up in December and by mid January, there were over 2000 people in hospital (for context, worst flu season in the last decade had a total of 4713 hospitalisations on the whole season). And they have to be segregated from non Covid patients putting more strain on space and resources.

No one likes this shít and while more could have been done to offset the need for lockdowns, I don't really know how you tackle the sharp increase in hospitalisations, admissions to ICU and deaths in a way that allows most people to carry on as normal

The same probably died with the Flu as COVID only we cant tell because anyone testing positive with COVID when they die are being listed as death by COVID when this is not the case as a huge majority have underlying illnesses

Incorrect.

If it's an underlying cause, its included on the death cert as per the WHO guidance.

Anyway, neither of us are in the correct forum for this.

2019 there was 627 hospitalizations and many others in hospitals due to other illnesses,we didnt shut down.We have approx 600/700 in hospital with COVID and we have shut down.We had Citywest as an overflow which sat empty during the initial lockdown and for some reason they havent opened that up.Govt failed to increase our hospital capacity for years and now we have basically an entire country shut down with hundreds of thousands unemployed,many businesses that will never open, mental and physical health severly suffering and we all just accept this like lemmings.

We can easily open retail and many other well controlled environments rather than a blanket shutting down of everything non essential but eh Govt wont entertain this.WHO have even said lockdowns should be as a last rest but we use it as a first resort and have the longest and most stringent lockdowns in europe/the world.

People are focusing on just COVID but at some stage we have to balance what is an acceptable death count and balance out the absolute destruction it has on the economy,peoples livelihoods,the million forecast to be on hospital waiting lists and the myriad of the other many cons of lockdowns.

You can say 'well people die from COVID' so we should shut down, many die from drowing,car crashes ,other viruses and bacterial infections, should we ban or shut down all other causes of death?afterall if we stop driving ,sports,swimmming we can prevent those deaths.

• Advertisement
Advertisement