Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Case numbers are heading the right way, by April 5th clocks will have gone forward and evenings will be brighter, the coldest of the weather gone.

Am I being too optimistic to hope for a gym workout in April? I didn't think I was but then read the posts here and well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

nullzero wrote: »
    Street pints were the biggest problem.

Surely lock-ins and house parties were a much bigger deal than people drinking outdoors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Please back that up. There is no evidence of outside transmission of this virus

Drinking in the streets normalised people engaging in socializing again, the issue of drinking and people feeling they were entitled to do as they pleased because it was coming up to Christmas fed into the huge numbers we saw post Christmas.

Lest we forget take away pints were perfectly acceptable during the October/November lockdown. I couldn't go to the gym to exercise on my own but huge crowds of idiots were allowed to congregate on the streets drinking take away pints into the wee small hours.

The issue isn't the transmission in the outdoor environment, it's to do with how alcohol and notions such as social distancing simply do not mix. The UK variant is supposedly airborne and in a situation where drunk people are getting too close to each other, even outdoors it leads to increased transmission.

Why exactly do you think the government stated take away pints should be stopped at the start of the year?

House parties and lock ins are worse, but drinking in the streets didn't help anything either and it was something supported by the government at the time.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Am I being too optimistic to hope for a gym workout in April? I didn't think I was but then read the posts here and well :o

I am hopeful of late April. Level 4 is inevitable on 5 April. The pressure from non-essential retail and gyms will start growing after that. Vaccination numbers will start to soar in April, case numbers and deaths will be on a rapid decent. Leo has said that restrictions will be reviewed in late April. The next obvious move at that stage is level 3 with non-essential retail and gyms reopen.

The UK are opening gyms on 12 April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Not a hope for April. Secondary schools only fully return mid way through April plus there would have been an easter break. I think the earliest we can hope for at this stage is early May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

nullzero wrote: »
    Street pints were the biggest problem.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-infection-rate-in-hospitals-out-of-control-1.4466463

At its peak you would have more chance of catching covid by being in hospital or a front line medical worker. There is a nice can of worms to be delved into in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I'm hoping soon... ANY time soon...

Tired of resistance bands, weary of the 6kg dumbbells that I can use only for a few exercise but end up doing countless reps.

And my joints after bodyweight HIIT sessions (wearing a 10kg vest) are aching constantly.

Just give me a flat / incline bench, a few decent dumbbells (max 35kg) and and an Olympic bar on a rack... That's it I'm good.

In other words, just open the gyms soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

basill wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-infection-rate-in-hospitals-out-of-control-1.4466463

At its peak you would have more chance of catching covid by being in hospital or a front line medical worker. There is a nice can of worms to be delved into in the future.

I would have thought that we would accept that to be self evident and removed from the responsibility of the average person in relation to spreading the virus.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I'm hoping soon... ANY time soon...

Tired of resistance bands, weary of the 6kg dumbbells that I can use only for a few exercise but end up doing countless reps.

And my joints after bodyweight HIIT sessions (wearing a 10kg vest) are aching constantly.

Just give me a flat / incline bench, a few decent dumbbells (max 35kg) and and an Olympic bar on a rack... That's it I'm good.

In other words, just open the gyms soon.

I have to agree. I'm enjoying running at the moment but I still think I need at least a half stone off me in weight and its going nowhere without some weights work. I've a set of kettlebells here in the house but I've lost interest in using them or doing bodyweight stuff. Having to stop regular to explain to the kids what you are at doesn't help either! It is really hard to get motivated to do the home stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I was delighted when the gyms reopened after the last lockdown but I became increasingly uncomfortable going. I'm in a flyefit so you had to sign up in advance for a session which was good but sometimes the place would be packed. Even though they're only supposed to be for individual training there was always a few groups of 3 or 4 lads standing together around benches and racks. I'd say only half the people going were actually wiping things down properly after use. And ultimately when you step back and think this is an indoor space with lots of people breathing heavily without masks, sweating and sharing equipment it made no sense to be there. They must be one of the riskiest places for spreading the virus. I stopped going after a month. I'm not saying I'll never go back to the gym but with it getting brighter and warmer there's even less of a reason to have to train indoors.

I was delighted when the gyms reopened after the last lockdown but I became increasingly uncomfortable going. I'm in a flyefit ............... They must be one of the riskiest places for spreading the virus. I stopped going after a month..............

I think they were only open in December? My little tracker tells me I was at the gym 13 times in Dec and none in November.

I can share your feelings to an extent, I was at my happiest in a distant corner using the rack for the punch bags to do pull ups and chin ups. The proximity to folk at most of the fixed equipment was too close for comfort at times and there was indeed groups of mongs hanging around together also.

I'm not sure they were one of the riskiest places for spreading the virus though to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm actually at the point where I want gyms open to vaccinated people now. I'm not one of those people who can train at home and I'm going mad.

I was delighted when the gyms reopened after the last lockdown but I became increasingly uncomfortable going. I'm in a flyefit so you had to sign up in advance for a session which was good but sometimes the place would be packed. Even though they're only supposed to be for individual training there was always a few groups of 3 or 4 lads standing together around benches and racks. I'd say only half the people going were actually wiping things down properly after use. And ultimately when you step back and think this is an indoor space with lots of people breathing heavily without masks, sweating and sharing equipment it made no sense to be there. They must be one of the riskiest places for spreading the virus. I stopped going after a month. I'm not saying I'll never go back to the gym but with it getting brighter and warmer there's even less of a reason to have to train indoors.

I felt the same in my local Flyefit. Standards definitely slipped over time. No staff were watching people sanitise their hands as they came in, so people stopped doing that. Machines that had previously been put out of use were allowed to be used again. Small groups of people training together and so on.

I stopped training in the gym a few weeks before the choice was taken away from us because of these factors, and because I would mix with a few people who would potentially be at risk. Flyefit have actually frozen my membership until the end of May, whereas my other half didn't freeze her account, and her membership will kick back in as soon as the gyms open again.

I was speaking to a couple of people I know, and they said that trainers I used to work with are in the gym I worked at doing their workouts during the day, so I guess some people are still getting access to a gym. I don't have any problem with that, it's a shame some of these facilities are just sitting there when one or two people could be in there on their own making use of it.

I'm actually at the point where I want gyms open to vaccinated people now. I'm not one of those people who can train at home and I'm going mad.

It would be interesting if they go that route. I know someone who managed to get the vaccination early, and is dying to get into the gym, but he probably wouldn't because he knows that it wouldn't go down well if it became common knowledge that he jumped the queue.

Augeo wrote: »
    I think they were only open in December? My little tracker tells me I was at the gym 13 times in Dec and none in November.

I can share your feelings to an extent, I was at my happiest in a distant corner using the rack for the punch bags to do pull ups and chin ups. The proximity to folk at most of the fixed equipment was too close for comfort at times and there was indeed groups of mongs hanging around together also.

I'm not sure they were one of the riskiest places for spreading the virus though to be fair.

Sorry you're right, I meant after the first lockdown. I didn't go back when they opened again in December.

• Advertisement

It's mainly the over 85s, health care workers etc who are now vaccinated. Wouldn't pay gyms to open at the moment if only vaccinated folk could use them. I'm vaccinated myself so it's suit me but it's not an option really.
    Can't see much opening up for vaccinated folk tbh..... there'd be war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I expect more gyms to advise/insist on wearing masks when working out when they do re-open.

All of the recent evidence proves it doesn't impact a workout or lung function.

The gym I run (private university gym) insisted on masks when we re-opened after lockdown 2 and there were no issues with it. (Maybe the people who had an issue with it didn't come?)

You can sanitise everything you want, but it is still an airborne virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

They can’t go that route until the majority of adults have been offered a vaccine. And at the project pace of vaccinations I would very, very much hope to get to Level 3 before the majority have been vaccinated. Perhaps there will be a scheme allowing businesses to return to full capacity rather than just 50 people including staff on the premises if they ask for proof of vaccination. But I really hope they can open before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just wondering folks what has your gym done if you were on a prepaid contract. Did they pause your membership and once they open again the clock starts kicking i.e you had 8 months membership left prior to lockdown and you will still have 8 months when they reopen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

So likely no gyms before May 19th going off what was said today?

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Just wondering folks what has your gym done if you were on a prepaid contract. Did they pause your membership and once they open again the clock starts kicking i.e you had 8 months membership left prior to lockdown and you will still have 8 months when they reopen.

I was on a monthly thing with my gym. They just stopped the direct debit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

iguana wrote: »
    Perhaps there will be a scheme allowing businesses to return to full capacity rather than just 50 people including staff on the premises if they ask for proof of vaccination. But I really hope they can open before that.

Cant see any membership facility reopening to just the vacinated if most or a significant number haven't beem able to yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

DylanJM wrote: »
    So likely no gyms before May 19th going off what was said today?

What was said?

https://www.independent.ie/news/tanaiste-positive-on-5km-limit-being-lifted-on-april-5-40181216.html

"Mr Varadkar was not positive on the return of larger gatherings to funerals in the near future as he pointed out an increase in funeral numbers would only happen at Level 3, which he predicted was unlikely to happen next month."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0310/1203098-eu-vaccines/
    "He said that in the week leading into 5 April the current restrictions would be reviewed and Government would take advice from public health experts.

"We will then advise on what we believe is the best way forward for the following six weeks after that."

I dunno what the May 19th reference is about but that's 6 weeks after 5th April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I dunno what the May 19th reference is about but that's 6 weeks after 5th April.

It was mentioned on the news that on April 5th they may have a roadmap to further reducing restrictions in 6 week stages. So presumably that’s where the hope of something like level 3 on May 19th.
    Balmed Out wrote: »
    Cant see any membership facility reopening to just the vacinated if most or a significant number haven't beem able to yet.

I mean in the future. Hopefully we’ll be at level 3 in the next couple of months. But that only allows leisure facilities to have 50 people on a premises at one time. So it may be that in the future, once the vaccine rollout is much further along that businesses will have the option to reopen at their previous capacity with a vaccine cert/negative test option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Mid-May virtually confirmed for gym reopening.

Leo has said "personal services" (which seems to include gyms) likely to reopen in mid May.

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1369924926019358728

2 more months before I can swim in a pool again.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

All they are interested in are kids in schools and hospital bed numbers... neither of which are of a concern to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

OmegaGene wrote: »
    i will take that date with a pinch of salt for now, we seem to have a leader of the country that says he doesnt like to give dates and then leo comes out guesstimating dates
    Yeah, we know he likes to give out dates and that was a very good thing last year. He's not out of sync, though, with Martin. He's still talking in 6 week cycles.

All they are interested in are kids in schools and hospital bed numbers... neither of which are of a concern to me.

Should be of concern to everyone to be honest.

• Advertisement

Should be of concern to everyone to be honest.

and they are dropping like a stone, yet Leo is talking about the situation 9 weeks away??

Until the over 70s and folk with underlying conditions are vaccinated there won't be much reopened......

546614.JPG

It's not just the over 65s etc are vulnerable.

That's the way it is and that's the course the government are taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

and they are dropping like a stone, yet Leo is talking about the situation 9 weeks away??

Dropping like a stone because we are at level 5.

The hospital numbers were 224 on the 1st of December; reopened for 4 weeks and 2,000 in mid-January.

It's been a yoyo job until now. They're trying to reopen for once and for all. As shít as it is and as slow as it feels, it makes more sense to do it slowly and do it once rather than do it faster and end up back in level 5. The fear is the variant and the transmissibility and how quickly cases might rise if they do too much too soon.

But I totally understand the frustration. It's like being offered a shít sandwich or a shít sandwich that possibly might have a little jam also.

Dropping like a stone because we are at level 5.

The hospital numbers were 224 on the 1st of December; reopened for 4 weeks and 2,000 in mid-January.

It's been a yoyo job until now. They're trying to reopen for once and for all. As shít as it is and as slow as it feels, it makes more sense to do it slowly and do it once rather than do it faster and end up back in level 5. The fear is the variant and the transmissibility and how quickly cases might rise if they do too much too soon.

But I totally understand the frustration. It's like being offered a shít sandwich or a shít sandwich that possibly might have a little jam also.

I don't disagree with that. I am not saying open now, I am saying 'look at the evidence and make a decision' Having leo and martin saying what will happen in mid May is madness.

They must know that hospitalizations are dropping at 25% per week, are at their lowest since 27th Dec, positivity rates are below 4%, cases dropping over 2% a day, and projected cases of less than 200 at the end of March. (stats as of today)

If I know the above, they know it. So how can they project to the 19th May and be taken seriously?

If I know the above, they know it. So how can they project to the 19th May and be taken seriously?

They are looking at the vaccine plan.

I don't disagree with that. I am not saying open now, I am saying 'look at the evidence and make a decision' Having leo and martin saying what will happen in mid May is madness.

They must know that hospitalizations are dropping at 25% per week, are at their lowest since 27th Dec, positivity rates are below 4%, cases dropping over 2% a day, and projected cases of less than 200 at the end of March. (stats as of today)

Ah sorry, with you now.

I think part of it is that Boris came out with a plan that had dates with the "at the earliest" caveat that pretty much everyone has ignored, it seems.

When the revised Irish plan came out, people were disappointed that it gave no indicative timelines for stepping out of restrictions.

The metrics they are going to use to decide on easing restrictions would be useful to signpost and indicative timelines.

And also Leo just wants to say something. I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt.

I think having a very clear roadmap of changes and with the metrics to be met to make those changes would be helpful. But they have just outlined what they look at in a qualitative sense when what would help would be the quantitative detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Just open them ffs. It's absolute nonsense that they're closed. Tell old people and those vulnerable to avoid meeting anyone until they get vaccinated. It's absolute nonsense that a gym which is a solitary activity that can easily be managed in terms of numbers in and out is off the cards. The attitude seems to be to inflict as much suffering and harm on everyone as opposed to a few(old people, vulnerable) The hospitals will not be overwhelmed from young healthy people going about their lives. Facts.

Just open them ffs. It's absolute nonsense that they're closed. Tell old people and those vulnerable to avoid meeting anyone until they get vaccinated. It's absolute nonsense that a gym which is a solitary activity that can easily be managed in terms of numbers in and out is off the cards. The attitude seems to be to inflict as much suffering and harm on everyone as opposed to a few(old people, vulnerable) The hospitals will not be overwhelmed from young healthy people going about their lives. Facts.

This is the typical argument of someone who a year later still doesn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Doesn't get what?

We had the situation we had in January because old people and those close to them decided that the virus no longer was a threat and somehow had sentience and wanted people to celebrate the yuletide season.

If anything I am seeing more people than I otherwise would if the gyms were open.

I'm one of those who don't think gyms are in anyway a replacement for psychotherapists and CBT but it's something. What's the point saving people now and inflicting harm on them in other less overt ways? It just doesn't make sense especially when it's a system that could easily be managed. My gym(community centre) was managing it perfectly. There was a bit of a lax attitude last summer but since September it was extremely cautious. Over the top imo but the system worked. You booked in, if the capacity was exceeded, well then there was no gym for you. However, at least you had the opportunity to make a booking and some people had the chance to partake in their activity of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rondog

This is the typical argument of someone who a year later still doesn't get it.

People get it but you have to look at case number that was in gyms.Very low to negligible.

The benefits of opening a gym far outweight and negatives.

My gym was very safe and its a large gym where other are very far from each other.

We cannot keep locked down forever ,its destroying people and the economy and we have focused on only covid and neglected everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

OmegaGene wrote: »
    it is not just about the gym being open and safe, it is about keeping people off the road and commuting here and there spreading the virus in the community, just having schools back open fully means 1m people out and about so that is the first step
    what is the point opening and then closing in 2 months because the numbers have spiked and we go round and round in circles, may as well push on with it and get the people vaccinated and hopefully open up again properly this time
    The roads are feckin jammers people are moving everywhere and anywhere!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am assuming when gyms reopen it still won't include stream rooms and the jucuzzi and for those we'll have to wait until vaccinations are done?

My argos bench just fell over with only 100kg on it. God I'm ****ing sick of this.

My argos bench just fell over with only 100kg on it. God I'm ****ing sick of this.

51uait.jpg

Am assuming when gyms reopen it still won't include stream rooms and the jucuzzi and for those we'll have to wait until vaccinations are done?

Yeah, I would have thought so. At level 3 gyms are open for individual training only. Group activities, and I guess stream rooms etc fall under this, will be at a later stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

JTMan wrote: »
    Yeah, I would have thought so. At level 3 gyms are open for individual training only. Group activities, and I guess stream rooms etc fall under this, will be at a later stage.

Didn't Ben Dunne fill in all his pools and steam rooms etc as he thinks they are unhygienic?? Maybe he knows something???

on a side note i heard an interview with him on the Brendan O'Connor show and he sounded like a prime example of the damage the lockdown is doing to peoples mental health.

He advised all businesses effected not to make any drastic decisions around the business and just look after yourself, then he turns around a fills in swimming pools...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

cuculainn wrote: »
    Didn't Ben Dunne fill in all his pools and steam rooms etc as he thinks they are unhygienic?? Maybe he knows something???

on a side note i heard an interview with him on the Brendan O'Connor show and he sounded like a prime example of the damage the lockdown is doing to peoples mental health.

He advised all businesses effected not to make any drastic decisions around the business and just look after yourself, then he turns around a fills in swimming pools...

Would say that's a business decision, swimming pools and jacuzzis are expensive to run and maintain and not normally part of the 'low cost' model. Its to cut costs once they reopen.

I highly doubt the likes of Westwood and Gymplus will take them out as its a unique selling point and allows them to charge that bit more.

Doesn't get what?

We had the situation we had in January because old people and those close to them decided that the virus no longer was a threat and somehow had sentience and wanted people to celebrate the yuletide season.

Mentioning old people in that context says two things about your view.... Very dickish, stupidly so. It's not just old people who are vulnerable. Loads of hospitalisation, approx 50% are under 65.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Doesn't get what?

If anything I am seeing more people than I otherwise would if the gyms were open.

Yep I was blue in the face telling my old pair to stop booking tables in pubs to have a pub crawl coming up to Christmas :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Seem to be reporting that 5km will be in place till June! Will we even see gyms open this summer at this rate ffs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement