Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

They just have to keep doing the same thing over and over again and iron out glitches as they go........ as I said, if they can lash out 27k doses on one day they can do it everyday.

Of the doses given so far 75% have been the Pfizer one, AZ is 20%.

The vaccination centres have barely been utilised, the intention is that they'll be out to proper use in Q2....... every day that goes by will see thousands more vaccinated, thousands less potential homes for Covid19.

The vaccine roll-out has only been idling along, I've no doubt they likely wouldn't have been able to lash out much more to date but they've their ducks in a row with vaccine centres and presumably (I know) the infrastructure is there behind the scenes too.

I'll be in a Flyefit come early June :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Augeo wrote: »
    They just have to keep doing the same thing over and over again and iron out glitches as they go........ as I said, if they can lash out 27k doses on one day they can do it everyday.

Of the doses given so far 75% have been the Pfizer one, AZ is 20%.

The vaccination centres have barely been utilised, the intention is that they'll be out to proper use in Q2....... every day that goes by will see thousands more vaccinated, thousands less potential homes for Covid19.

The vaccine roll-out has only been idling along, I've no doubt they likely wouldn't have been able to lash out much more to date but they've their ducks in a row with vaccine centres and presumably (I know) the infrastructure is there behind the scenes too.

I'll be in a Flyefit come early June :pac:

Well that's always good to hear. And I know they have different phases and they don't need to have the mass vaccination infrastructure in use just yet. I just don't have the confidence just yet.

I'll buy you a can of Monster if we're back in Flyefit in early June :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Loads of bumpers on adverts and some rubber the seller Gymless is doing free delivery and is very reasonable on price! No affiliations I recently purchased from him myself!

that perfect 2 25KG plates for €200 is grand, good suggestion thanks!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

silverharp wrote: »
    that perfect 2 25KG plates for €200 is grand, good suggestion thanks!
    Glad you got sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Once they get a shot before last week in April and the last shot 3/4 weeks later mid may is still on the cards for over 70s.

We are looking at 250k/week soon.... Over 27k doses were administered last Thursday..... We are not far off 35k/day.

My friend who is part vaccinated, works with vulnerable people has had one shot. Has been told it will be 12 weeks before she gets her second shot. How would it be possible for over 70's to have both their vaccines in the space of a month when a healthcare worker wont have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Daemonic

jrosen wrote: »
    My friend who is part vaccinated, works with vulnerable people has had one shot. Has been told it will be 12 weeks before she gets her second shot. How would it be possible for over 70's to have both their vaccines in the space of a month when a healthcare worker wont have?
    AZ, HSE recommends 12 weeks vs Pfizer which is 4 weeks.

jrosen wrote: »

All over 70s are getting the Pfizer or Moderna shots, ee aren't straying from manufacturers recommended dosing regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

As above astra zenica is 12 weeks and for the under 70s. My medically vulnerable dad and lots of healthcare colleagues got that one. All over 70s and nursing home staff get Pfizer or moderna which is 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Looks like it could be May for Gyms reopening, assuming they are paired with Hairdressers- Would be very happy with that - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/lockdown-easing-click-and-collect-and-hairdressers-to-resume-in-may-with-in-county-travel-from-april-12th-1.4523777

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

If all goes well there when we have a similar % vaccinated there's no reason why we can't relax restrictions as they did. We are ahead of them on 2nd vaccinations % also I imagine.
    We'll be in a much better position at the end of May........ England 6 weeks ahead of us really. Enough of a lag to actually see how things go there.

We're at 15% after first dose and over 1/3 of them are now fully vaccinated.

Because our one and only metric is cases per day, not the vaccinated % or hospitalized cases or cases in ICU. :confused:

• Advertisement

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Looks like it could be May for Gyms reopening, assuming they are paired with Hairdressers- Would be very happy with that - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/lockdown-easing-click-and-collect-and-hairdressers-to-resume-in-may-with-in-county-travel-from-april-12th-1.4523777

I'd fear gyms might go with opening of non essential retail fully rather than click and collect though........... "The return of click and collect retail services and hairdressers in May"
    If they don't want folk in shops they'll hardly want them in the gym :o

j@utis wrote: »
    Because our one and only metric is cases per day, not the vaccinated % or hospitalized cases or cases in ICU. :confused:

Once 3m vaccinations have been administered and there's 250k/week being administered cases per day will be largely insignificant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Once 3m vaccinations have been administered and there's 250k/week being administered cases per day will be largely insignificant.

Cases per day should be insignificant already.

Patsy167 wrote: »

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/health/ireland-covid-lockown-restrictions-april5-20285671

"June is the latest estimate for the reopening of pubs and hairdressers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Golf and GAA back soon... But no fûcking gym. Fûck these utter cûnts making decisions. Utter utter ****.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/lifting-lockdown-too-early-would-cause-covid-wave-lasting-until-summer-ministers-told-1103722.html

May: A phased return of personal services such as hairdressers, retail and click-and-collect services, and the remainder of construction

In the rest of the world - yeah, not here, in Ireland though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sugarman20

I picked a bad time to start juicing.

j@utis wrote: »
    In the rest of the world - yeah, not here, in Ireland though...

Meh, wait and see, I don't share your pessimism.
    Over 70s and other vulnerable groups aren't vaccinated here as yet.
    Gyms are closed across Europe also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Further confirmation that personal service will be May rather than June. Personal services included gyms the last time.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1376887792358264834

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭B8ZZ

Did anyone else here see chatter about “100s of Gyms” reopening on April 12th no matter what?

Like 7 gyms I’ve been to posted it on Instagram around last month asking if people would support them, I checked the comments and it was like 98% saying yes

Golf and GAA back soon... But no fûcking gym. Fûck these utter cûnts making decisions. Utter utter ****.

Outdoors vs indoors.

It's no surprise GAA and golf are back ahead of gyms

B8ZZ wrote: »
    Did anyone else here see chatter about “100s of Gyms” reopening on April 12th no matter what?...........

Until AGS show up and shut them down............ big yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

So no date on gyms reopening? FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Your probably taking the piss but just encase ,
    There's a huge difference between Golf and a gym

Your probably taking the piss but just encase ,
    There's a huge difference between Golf and a gym
    Your dead right... The Gym will get yo jacked!

Your dead right... The Gym will get yo jacked!

But look how jacked Bryson DeChambeau is from golf!!!eleven!!

But look how jacked Bryson DeChambeau is from golf!!!eleven!!
    Just looked him up! Dude is yoked! how much for a set of golf clubs lads?:P

Just looked him up! Dude is yoked! how much for a set of golf clubs lads?:P

€10/kg

• Advertisement

€10/kg
    Jaysus!

Jaysus!

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Pay €10/kg, you get a gorilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I just really wish they were open. My life isn't the same without them. In a way the gym helps mask a lot of problems and that's not a good thing but it's a great pick me up. I really don't see why something that helps a lot of people that is a solitary activity is seen as such an afterthought. We are very short-sighted. In a bit of misanthropy I sort of hope that long-term health problems completely inundate our healthcare systems to highlight once again our species short-sightedness. I guarantee a lot of people won't be the same people(for the worst) once the dust settles.

....I sort of hope that long-term health problems completely inundate our healthcare systems to highlight once again our species short-sightedness. ......

Let's hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Let's hope not.

He's wrong to hope for it but he's right to expect it.

I just really wish they were open. My life isn't the same without them. In a way the gym helps mask a lot of problems and that's not a good thing but it's a great pick me up. I really don't see why something that helps a lot of people that is a solitary activity is seen as such an afterthought. We are very short-sighted. In a bit of misanthropy I sort of hope that long-term health problems completely inundate our healthcare systems to highlight once again our species short-sightedness. I guarantee a lot of people won't be the same people(for the worst) once the dust settles.

Yeah, fitness and health is big part of my life too. I'm really struggling having no place to vent. Stupid cardio isn't cutting it. And there's no end in sight. And even if gyms are allowed to open mid summer, I can guarantee, they'll be shut again in winter. We're looking to move to house (not very likely happening soon either because it's the worst time for buyers in the property market) but one of my major requirements is the space for the home gym, that I won't be dependable on commercial gyms and ever be in this situation again :(

And yes, I agree that some people are damaged for the rest of their lives because of this. I work in retail, I meet a lot of people every day and some of them are really gone crazy, completely nuts like. Not many, but some. Majority people are back to pre-covid social distancing, thanks god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'd say there's been lots of weigh gain from the gyms being shut, I've put on a few extra kg and see many members of the gym I train in around town with an expanded waistline.

Wonder what the long term damage of this will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

What do you think the long term damage of a collapsed health system would be? Or the toll of hearing the trucks removing the bodies from the cities every night would be? Or the toll of far, far more people being left with inflammatory organ damage? Or the toll of us all having lost a number of loved ones?

This is undeniably crap but it’s crap because it’s a pandemic not because we have a mitigation strategy. (In fact an initial stronger mitigation strategy across Europe would have most facilities open now.) And while it’s hard to maintain certain types of fitness without the right equipment, it is far from impossible to stay physically and mentally healthy if you put your mind to adapting to the situation we’re in rather than dwelling constantly on what you don’t have. The reason we’re such a successful species is because we are so highly adaptable. I long for the day this is over as much as anyone here but I still feel better for adapting.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I'd say there's been lots of weigh gain from the gyms being shut, I've put on a few extra kg and see many members of the gym I train in around town with an expanded waistline.

Wonder what the long term damage of this will be?

On the plus side, people might figure out how to manage their diet better

On the plus side, people might figure out how to manage their diet better

They are not tho, people are eating more out of boredom and stress.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If the gym is closed reduce calories and it stops the waist line expanding

The majority haven't, in fact they are eating more.

• Advertisement

They are not tho, people are eating more out of boredom and stress.

Find something else to fill that time that doesn't involve eating. You don't need to have a home gym...a willingness to want to find an alternative would help though. An alternative to the gym won't be better than the gym but it's better than the alternative of doing nothing and eating out of boredom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

iguana wrote: »
    What do you think the long term damage of a collapsed health system would be? Or the toll of hearing the trucks removing the bodies from the cities every night would be? Or the toll of far, far more people being left with inflammatory organ damage? Or the toll of us all having lost a number of loved ones?

Thankfully we shut gyms and pools and therefore prevented truck’s pulling 40ft containers full of dead bodies

Find something else to fill that time that doesn't involve eating. You don't need to have a home gym...a willingness to want to find an alternative would help though. An alternative to the gym won't be better than the gym but it's better than the alternative of doing nothing and eating out of boredom.

That's obviously the black and white logical approach here.
    Unfortunately, many people don't operate that approach and have put on weight during lockdown.
    I read a report recently that stated the average American put on half a stone from Feb - Jun 2020

Wonder what average weight gain per irish person has been in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

Are you suggesting that all of the above would have happened if they let the gyms stay open? :rolleyes:

That's obviously the black and white logical approach here.
    Unfortunately, many people don't operate that approach and have put on weight during lockdown.
    I read a report recently that stated the average American put on half a stone from Feb - Jun 2020

Wonder what average weight gain per irish person has been in the last 12 months.

Another report from America said that the majority wouldn't be renewing their gym memberships because they had found cheaper and/or more convenient ways to work out. The report you've referred to didn't mention the gym so putting on weight isn't a gym issue.

Another report from America said that the majority wouldn't be renewing their gym memberships because they had found cheaper and/or more convenient ways to work out. The report you've referred to didn't mention the gym so putting on weight isn't a gym issue.

Ask many gym members have they put on weight since the closure of gyms?

I have spoken to many who have put on weight, which I suspect will never come back off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Gyms aren’t closed in isolation, it’s part of a wider strategy. Personally I’m very unhappy with the European response to this. It’s been poorer than I had hoped for initially and the B117 mutation has ensured that it’s wholly inadequate.

Ask many gym members have they put on weight since the closure of gyms?

I have spoken to many who have put on weight, which I suspect will never come back off.

I didn't say they haven't.

I'm merely saying there are alternatives to the gym that can serve a purpose.

I used go to the gym 5 times a week. I love going to the gym and training. I had signed up to 2 competitions in 2020 and both fell through.

I have a few bands and a pair of dumbbells. It's a shítty alternative to what I enjoy doing in the gym. But its an alternative. A means to let off some steam at night after everything else is done.

The alternative is doing nothing and putting on weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Gyms aren’t closed in isolation, it’s part of a wider strategy. Personally I’m very unhappy with the European response to this. It’s been poorer than I had hoped for initially and the B117 mutation has ensured that it’s wholly inadequate.

Ironically, outside of old age, obesity is the second highest risk factor for Covid.

Rather than closing gyms more should open and be state funded to combat the crisis in future

Great info here

https://www.worldobesityday.org/assets/downloads/COVID-19_and_Obesity-The_2021_Atlas.pdf
    As we show in this report, increased bodyweight is the second greatest predictor of hospitalisation and a high risk of death for people suffering from COVID-19. Only old age rates as a higher risk factor.
    The unprecedented economic costs of COVID-19 are largely due to the measures taken to avoid the excess hospitalisation and need for treatment of the disease. Reducing one major risk factor, overweight, would have resulted in far less stress on health services and reduced the need to protect those services from being overwhelmed.
    We show that in those countries where overweight affects only a minority of the adult population, the rates of death from COVID-19 are typically less than one tenth the levels found in countries where overweight affects the majority of adults.

I didn't say they haven't.

I'm merely saying there are alternatives to the gym that can serve a purpose.

I used go to the gym 5 times a week. I love going to the gym and training. I had signed up to 2 competitions in 2020 and both fell through.

I have a few bands and a pair of dumbbells. It's a shítty alternative to what I enjoy doing in the gym. But its an alternative. A means to let off some steam at night after everything else is done.

The alternative is doing nothing and putting on weight.

Good for you, but your in the minority here. And doing nothing and putting weight on is what the vast majority have done/are doing and that's what started my initial query, as to what will the long term repercussions be of increased weight gain for many.

• Advertisement
Advertisement