Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I've said this before I think, but I would have no objection to wearing a mask while training.

I don't have an opinion on masks one way or another, but I could certainly see the rationale behind being asked to wear one if training indoors.

I think people probably think it would be much more noticeable/uncomfortable that it would actually be. Probably the same people who think they need to take their mask off to speak

(Edit: I'm probably talking more about strength training tbf, but even cardio wouldn't be too big a deal if you're wearing a paper-type mask and not doing 20km in sweltering heat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I have to say I would wear a mask if I HAD too but I would hope not too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

JayRoc wrote: »
    I've said this before I think, but I would have no objection to wearing a mask while training.

I don't have an opinion on masks one way or another, but I could certainly see the rationale behind being asked to wear one if training indoors.

I think people probably think it would be much more noticeable/uncomfortable that it would actually be. Probably the same people who think they need to take their mask off to speak

(Edit: I'm probably talking more about strength training tbf, but even cardio wouldn't be too big a deal if you're wearing a paper-type mask and not doing 20km in sweltering heat)

Yeah no, you can keep your masks. Look at the gym demographic, full of young healthy people, exactly the type that aren't dying from covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Yeah no, you can keep your masks. Look at the gym demographic, full of young healthy people, exactly the type that aren't dying from covid.

Do young people never come into contact with older, vulnerable folks? That logic makes zero sense, sure why get younger people vaccinated with that mentality. The point of masks was to try and limit/stop out of control spread of the virus. I'm glad I dont have to wear one, but there is a clear logic why they should be used in gyms.. just the same as there's a logic behind them required everywhere else indoors. Dont know about your gym, Carlisle/Ben Dunne is not just full of young 'healthy' people, its full of people of all ages. Flyfit definitely a younger demographic sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

givyjoe wrote: »
    Do young people never come into contact with older, vulnerable folks?

The ones that are all vaccinated now? Sure they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The ones that are all vaccinated now? Sure they do.

There not all vaccinated though are they? :rolleyes: The vast majority of folks are on a first dose, never mind the ones that have only received a first dose of AZ (many of whom are front docs/nurses), which isn't particularly effective against Indian/Delta variant. Again, by that logic, why are we wearing masks ANYWHERE else? Not worried about myself, nor keen to wear a mask in the gym, but I can see the obvious logic behind it and the completely inconsistent logic behind NOT making them mandatory in gyms. The gov to this point were not making decisions re: lockdown based on the demographics of who's got it, just the number of cases, it's in everyone's interest to try and keep those numbers low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

They're not my masks, as I said (in the post that you quoted) I don't really have an opinion on them one way or the other.

I'm just saying the idea of them being uncomfortable to train in is wildly exaggerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

jrosen wrote: »
    I have to say I would wear a mask if I HAD too but I would hope not too.

I could do mask wearing while weight training but cardio with a mask would be a disaster.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    I could do mask wearing while weight training but cardio with a mask would be a disaster.

That was how I felt last time round but I did on 2 occasions wear a mask weight training as the gym was busy in the section I was working out in and I found it tough. Obviously Ill suck it up if the alternative is no training.

My gym just posted that same rules apply as last Christmas, hourly slots, sanitize equipment, bring a towel and no masks thank God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

BD didn't have masks at Christmas and don't believe they will next week... thankfully.... Not long to go now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looking forward to the rowing machine, I missed the exact progression one could keep track of. The lifting equipment I had at home was more suited to keep the legs ticking over , the only heavy upper body exercise i could do was a landmine press, it will be an interesting week

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

nullzero wrote: »

was doing it more or less every day when things were open, if youre an elite athlete maybe a problem but im far from that so it it was fine. i use UA/Adidas ones, i do imagine the disposable ones would probably get uncomfortable though. think i read a study somewhere that recommended taking masks off after 2 hours of moderate pace running to stop possible CO2 build-up when exhaling, so realistically unless someone is marathon training they should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm going to be in bits after a week. I can't waitðŸ˜

Giddy now..pity they're not open at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Giddy now..pity they're not open at the weekend.

Yeah, though at least we don't have to wait till Tuesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Yeah, though at least we don't have to wait till Tuesday!

oh, yes, that one day really makes a difference now :D only two spins on the bike left until I'm able to enjoy exercising again!

j@utis wrote: »
    oh, yes, that one day really makes a difference now :D only two spins on the bike left until I'm able to enjoy exercising again!

Plus #nevermissamonday y'know yerself like!

#internationalchestday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Real Science of Sport Podcast on detraining/complete break from training and the physiological impact of it.

Well worth a listen for those that might be freaking out about how weak they might have become

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/fitness-adaptation-reversibility-how-fast-do-we-lose/id1461719225?i=1000524049441

Strength training covered specifically in the last 20 minutes or so but would recommend listening to all of it because principles can apply across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

First three swims booked in. been 1.5 years since ive been in a pool

I might get a little emotional.

The Real Science of Sport Podcast on detraining/complete break from training and the physiological impact of it.

Well worth a listen for those that might be freaking out about how weak they might have become.
    <...>

I know that from the last time - empty bar weights a ton for first two weeks :D

Funnily enough that's what I have planned already. I checked in my FitNotes app where I left off last time and next on my 3-day split is the "push" day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭strongback

dashoonage wrote: »
    First three swims booked in. been 1.5 years since ive been in a pool

Where are you swimming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Please don't do that in the pool. Ruins it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Looking forward to the dumbell rack lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Happy Gymas Eve everyone.

Only 12hrs to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Makes me laugh with the chat about masks. How are you supposed to train with masks on and have your breathing regulated properly? In the gym I go to when it was last opened. It was just distancing, clean your hands and sanitizer on equipment. The mask talk is daft.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Makes me laugh with the chat about masks. How are you supposed to train with masks on and have your breathing regulated properly? In the gym I go to when it was last opened. It was just distancing, clean your hands and sanitizer on equipment. The mask talk is daft.

It was just brought up as a hypothetical 'if I had to wear one, I'd be ok with that if it meant access to the gym'.

Doesn't seem to have hampered someone like Jessica Buettner too much who set some PRs wearing a mask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A summary of how quickly we lose fitness when we stop.
    For weight training, it takes just 12 weeks for the amount you can lift to decline significantly – but some of your original strength will linger on.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210603-how-soon-do-we-become-unfit-when-we-stop-exercising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Those of us about to die! we salute you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It was just brought up as a hypothetical 'if I had to wear one, I'd be ok with that if it meant access to the gym'.

Doesn't seem to have hampered someone like Jessica Buettner too much who set some PRs wearing a mask.

She’s all power though. I’d say someone trying to do cardio with a mask would be at nothing

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    She’s all power though. I’d say someone trying to do cardio with a mask would be at nothing

Why would you do cardio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Why would you do cardio?

Fair point

My gym are open their usual BH hours today. They have increased their booking slots to 90 minutes, was 60 last time round. Times are kinda crappy for me, Ill be booking slots 30 mins before I can make them because the next slot is too late. Their on line booking is crap too, tedious.

Is the booking here to stay?

Was thinking the bank holiday schedule would be active for BD and it was, I was up and raring to go at 06:30 so I did a tabata session instead and will hit the gym on my lunch hour today.

Really looking forward to it but the inevitable disappointment on strength loss and very visible muscle loss... Ah well, another "come back" on the cards... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT

FF was great this morning at 7:30! So nice to be back. Though just sat down on the couch and am now pretty sure I will seize up completely and be stuck here for the next 2 days solid :eek::eek:

I am weak as a goldfish but I don't care - sure all the more room for gainz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

FF was great this morning at 7:30! So nice to be back. Though just sat down on the couch and am now pretty sure I will seize up completely and be stuck here for the next 2 days solid :eek::eek:

I am weak as a goldfish but I don't care - sure all the more room for gainz!

As the old adage goes: Beyonce wasn't built in a day.

Happy gymming everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

Patsy167 wrote: »
    As the old adage goes: Beyonce wasn't built in a day.

There are a lot of carbs in that caboose though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

is_that_so wrote: »

Significant strength loss starts longgg before the 12 week mark. Most people will start losing strength after 1-2 weeks of not lifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

is_that_so wrote: »

Significant strength loss starts longgg before the 12 week mark. Most people will start losing strength after 1-2 weeks of not lifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Those of us about to die! we salute you!!!
    Not dead, not bad but not great either! Still a rush to be back!

Our gym was as packed as local supermarket this morning :D I was absolutely shocked when I managed to secure the bench press station at some point :D I could lift f'all but it was so nice to be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

j@utis wrote: »
    Our gym was as packed as local supermarket this morning :D I was absolutely shocked when I managed to secure the bench press station at some point :D I could lift f'all but it was so nice to be back.

I went to mine at 6 am, only a few others there for the hour which was brilliant. Tomorrow looks to be more like a normal day numbers wise, I'm guessing there's going to he crowds for the foreseeable future before it levels off. This morning was a gift numbers wise for me.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Good to be back this morning and see so many familiar faces.
    Feel like **** at end of time slot.
    No strength, tired and cardio endurance/ability at near zero.
    Only way is up!

My gym was fairly busy...every piece of kit occupied but no one with nothing.
    It'll be interesting how it pans out... Mostly unvaccinated under 40s, indoors & no masks.

BD Cherrywood was busy but not overly busy... got it done though, alarming how weak I was but it is what it is. Time to get it back... cardio can do one, I've done tons of it, weights its your turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i was in WW in Lep this morning , I dont use that one much but certainly not as busy as a weekday evening, the weights area was busy but not crowded and the machines and cardio sections were a ghost town

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

silverharp wrote: »
    i was in WW in Lep this morning , I dont use that one much but certainly not as busy as a weekday evening, the weights area was busy but not crowded and the machines and cardio sections were a ghost town

Is the sauna/jacuzzi area in operation?

Advertisement