Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hoboo wrote: »
    I was on to a guy in offaly yesterday who makes them, he's on donedeal. Wanted 180 plus 100 to ship to Dublin.

Pass.

Mirafit in the UK have them for half that, just won't deliver to Ireland.

The weight and size of the bar dictates the cost of delivery. I wouldn't expect delivery in Ireland for a piece of kit that size to be less than €65/70.

Once the nursing homes, over 65/70s, frontline health workers and immuno compromised are vaccinated we are into a much different situation :)
    That accepted gyms might well be closed for months.... I'm back running from this week :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If we have any kind of relaxation for St Patrick's Day then seriously, we will have learned nothing from the month of December.
    Hoboo wrote: »
    I was on to a guy in offaly yesterday who makes them, he's on donedeal. Wanted 180 plus 100 to ship to Dublin.

Pass.

Mirafit in the UK have them for half that, just won't deliver to Ireland.

If it was a 2m trap bar, or close to it, then I also don't think 280 (delivered) is that unreasonable for something that's welded in Ireland to be honest.

On UK delivery to Ireland... Getting more complicated alright...

Strength Shop is still selling to Ireland and it's still free shipping above a certain spend, but if you notice their .ie domain it now now longer includes VAT. Because they know outgoing stuff to Ireland will get clobbered now. I have something on the way from them and I'm fully expecting to be rung either by customs or asked by DPD for money due when it's being delivered.

If we have any kind of relaxation for St Patrick's Day then seriously, we will have learned nothing from the month of December. Sorry, but surely even our political class must be aware that they might squeak by with not being blamed for opening up too son in December... But if the same things happens again...

If it was a 2m trap bar, or close to it, then I also don't think 280 (delivered) is that unreasonable for something that's welded in Ireland to be honest.

On UK delivery to Ireland... Getting more complicated alright...

Strength Shop is still selling to Ireland and it's still free shipping above a certain spend, but if you notice their .ie domain it now now longer includes VAT. I have something on the way from them and I'm fully expecting to be rung either by customs or asked by DPD for money due when it's being delivered.

I hadn't even gone into delivery from UK :pac:
    But delivery of a piece of kit that weight and size will cost a chunk in Ireland because it's not standard courier delivery and you're looking at something that would typically deliver pallets of goods.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They said the plan is to vaccinate 17500 health workers over the coming weeks so that’s January written off before they even start the nursing homes which is next in the list

That seems to be different to every thing I've heard and read about Ireland's vaccination programme...whats your source?........ This is the first thing google threw at me now.... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-in-nursing-homes-gets-under-way-this-week-5315501-Jan2021/%3famp=1

THE ROLLOUT OF the country’s Covid-19 vaccination programme gets under way at nursing homes this week.

HSE chief executive Paul Reid said the residents and staff at 25 nursing homes are due to receive their first doses of the vaccine this week.

The rollout of the State’s coronavirus vaccination programme began last week when 79-year-old grandmother Annie Lynch, from Dublin, became the first person in the Republic to receive the jab on 29 December.

“This week we’ll be starting in 25 nursing homes and 20 hospitals across the country,” Reid told RTE Radio 1’s Today with Claire Byrne.

The staff at the 4 hospitals were being vaccinated already.

This week should see a total of 20,000 shots administered with 17k to staff and residents of nursing homes and 3k to staff in 17 hospitals

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/widespread-cancellation-of-hospital-services-expected-as-close-to-5-000-covid-19-cases-reported-1.4449348?_ga=2.27973177.489788121.1609775463-1804447137.1556523552

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Things won't settle down until March but then your straight into Paddy's weekend and after been in lockdown for near 3 months at that stage everyone will be itching to go a bit nuts, let's off some steam understandably. And then your right back into an Xmas type scenario where everyone is mixing like crazy.

.. Gonna be April before the gyms reopen I reckon

Paddy’s Day and Easter Bank Holiday weekend are within a couple of weeks of each other this year. Unless there is a really dramatic improvement in the meantime I’m not expecting to be back in the gym until they have passed. They won’t want people travelling all over the place for Easter and may decide to stay at level 5 until then.

It all depends on how well the current measures work and the success of the vaccine rollout of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just missed out on a gym standard rack, bench, 40kg's of plates (small hole) and two 6 foot barbells for 100 euro. Ad was up minutes and he said the phone rang off the hook, I bet it did.

I need a pull up/dip station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I project an extensive gym break at this stage. Good to see some boys have their equipment. They’ll keep their upper bits hardened up anyway.

There’ll be a lot of weak legs by April Fool’s Day. Keep pumping the upper body to get a bit of testosterone flowing anyway to keep the spirits up. We will rip some fibres one day again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Just missed out on a gym standard rack, bench, 40kg's of plates (small hole) and two 6 foot barbells for 100 euro. Ad was up minutes and he said the phone rang off the hook, I bet it did.

I need a pull up/dip station.
    A65ZyZJA65ZyZJ
    My door frame is about to collapse but at least i'll have wings! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's bull**** that 'elite' sports in this country can continue. Grossly unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

Are these doorframe yokes any good? I always feel like they will rip down my doorframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Standing around watching a dog run laps of a track is an elite sport apparently. I wish I’d gotten into that rather than the gym... seems less work..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

obi604 wrote: »
    Are these doorframe yokes any good? I always feel like they will rip down my doorframe.

Define doorframe yoke?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Define doorframe yoke?

Hi. Oops, something like this;

https://www.aldi.ie/crane-exercise-bar/p/803531448730303

• Advertisement

I have a doorframe chin up bar, it hasn’t ripped down or even damaged my doorframe and. I stretched and bought a pretty good one, it’s very solid and has rubber stoppers to protect the door frame and paint etc. Great bit of kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Can anyone reccomend a good site to buy a resistance band? Quickest turnaround as possible as in next day if its possible these days? Have misplaced mine and ive signed up for zoom training now and dont want to be lagging behind. Thanks in advance.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Can anyone reccomend a good site to buy a resistance band? Quickest turnaround as possible as in next day if its possible these days? Have misplaced mine and ive signed up for zoom training now and dont want to be lagging behind. Thanks in advance.

McSports in ballymount do click and collect.

I also got some off that guy on adverts.ie. Quick turnaround. Good quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

as in pro 14 rugby and league of ireland? in fairness I think it's made the lockdowns more bearable for a lot of people, something to look forward to the weekends etc and it's an almost negligible risk i think compared to gyms (which itself is probably low risk i know)

anyway, i'm sort of glad we got the announcement last week before people had started trying to get fixed on a new years routine and had to break it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Strength Shop is still selling to Ireland and it's still free shipping above a certain spend, but if you notice their .ie domain it now now longer includes VAT. Because they know outgoing stuff to Ireland will get clobbered now. I have something on the way from them and I'm fully expecting to be rung either by customs or asked by DPD for money due when it's being delivered.

What's your experience with them so far? From order date to dispatch to expected delivery?

I am also waiting on something, ordered a while ago now but no mention of a dispatch.... I know it's been Christmas holidays though so fair enough.

If I get a call asking for a significant additional sum I will not accept delivery and have it returned, I didn't buy it VAT free (or see if there's negotiation to be done wjth them now re VAT paid....)

• Advertisement

I used one for a few years. Was fine. I was around 85kg at the time. Just no Tarzan stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

And every youngfella in the country who plays for a club will still have access to their gyms too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I pulled the trigger on a pair of adjustable 40kg dumbbells. Having a bench shipped up from my family home down the country.

Will have to make do with those and resistance bands for a good while yet it looks like.

I pulled the trigger on a pair of adjustable 40kg dumbbells. Having a bench shipped up from my family home down the country.

Will have to make do with those and resistance bands for a good while yet it looks like.

Where did you get the dumbbells? I haven’t had much luck finding good adjustable ones

any of ye have tall Parallette bars for training at home?

worth a punt?

Where did you get the dumbbells? I haven’t had much luck finding good adjustable ones

Hitfitness on McSport.

Paid through the nose but itll get me through a few months and will have a decent resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

No. What you're saying is bull****.

Elite athletes are much smaller in number. Very different than every tom dick and Harry who wants to go in to a gym and throw shapes while they huff and puff lifting weights and snapchatting on instagram.

Sports like GAA, soccer, hurling, rugby, horse racing etc. bring great joy to people and help society get through the lockdown. No one will get any benefit from shapers packing in to a stuffy gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't really care what the GAA are doing but there's no way they could have normal gyms open with the current numbers, there's no point in being frustrated over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Elite sports are testing on a weekly basis as well. It is a pain, I've a young lad here mad to get out playing sport and he can't. Banging the ball off a wall just isn't the same. It needs doing at this stage though, to be honest I wasn't comfortable in the gym the last week before it closed. Too many people getting lax in their distancing and cleaning for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I'm looking for a set of adjustable dumbells and bench. Most places sold out.

• Advertisement

Omega28 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a set of adjustable dumbells and bench. Most places sold out.

Having no luck either, just want a simple set with plates. They seem to be OOS everywhere until February, the ones that are in stock are the power block type that are €500 upwards.

There's a lot of the block type ones going for crazy prices online but they can be bought for half the price from Alibaba etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

accidentally ordered an extra pair of 12.5kg hex rubber dumbells this week. selling for €75 if anyone is interested (they were €100 which itself was a fairly good offer). collection only from west dublin

edited to correct typo:D , but also taken now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

accidentally ordered an extra pair of 125kg hex rubber dumbells this week. selling for €75 if anyone is interested (they were €100 which itself was a fairly good offer). collection only from west dublin

125 kg?! :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

accidentally ordered an extra pair of 125kg hex rubber dumbells this week. selling for €75 if anyone is interested (they were €100 which itself was a fairly good offer). collection only from west dublin

Can you post them?

Glazers Out!

What's your experience with them so far? From order date to dispatch to expected delivery?

I am also waiting on something, ordered a while ago now but no mention of a dispatch.... I know it's been Christmas holidays though so fair enough.

If I get a call asking for a significant additional sum I will not accept delivery and have it returned, I didn't buy it VAT free (or see if there's negotiation to be done wjth them now re VAT paid....)

I missed this question earlier! In the event it is of use to anyone else...

I ordered a bar on the 28/12 and it hasn’t shipped yet. Strength Shop are generally pretty good to deal with and I cut them some slack, but obviously others have faced delays too.

On the charges due, Strength Shop have told me that as I ordered before 01/01/21 and paid Uk vat no more vat is due. However, they did not mention importation duty (I think might be 12.5%... not sure). We will see.

It's looking doubtful for the gyms to reopen until March/April, imo.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Thoughts?

I'm thinking March. Construction to open back up first, maybe 1st of Feb.

Then maybe non essential retail next and if things on the right track maybe gyms at the same time...hopefully.

April worst case scenario surely. Depends on the vaccine too I suppose.

Hopefully the lockdown/vaccine will have an enough of an effect to start open back up by March. Starting from a high base of positive case numbers but it should hopefully drop off pretty quickly from February onwards...

Thoughts?

It all depends on the numbers but I'm expecting the worse (hoping for the best, within reason).

If the UK variant is still fairly prevalent in tests then they will need to be very cautious about the speed at which things reopen. They will need to be more cautious than they were previously anyway

• Advertisement

I don't know which is worse....being led along being told 2/3 more weeks repeatedly, or knowing it's straight up going to be 3 more months.

with these high figures, which in cases are 6/7/8 times higher than our previous peaks, not looking good.
    I know we have the vaccine etc
    but IMHO, after Easter is the best case scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

IMO it’s easily going to be easter before we all step food into a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

with these high figures, which in cases are 6/7/8 times higher than our previous peaks, not looking good.
    I know we have the vaccine etc
    but IMHO, after Easter is the best case scenario

Look at the hospital figures for more accurate comparisons as we are testing alot more now than previous peak.

But yeah its not pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I don't know which is worse....being led along being told 2/3 more weeks repeatedly, or knowing it's straight up going to be 3 more months.

I'd rather know to be honest. I also think if they come out with a line that it's so serious we need to shut a lot of things for three months it might make people cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think this time it is very much about the numbers and when they get a lot lower. We just can't guess at that and wait and see approach is the only way to deal with it. We do know that the government is keen to reverse restrictions as soon as it is feasible. Personally, I'm just working with sticking to a weekly routine at home as it's tangible.

• Advertisement

There's a lot of the block type ones going for crazy prices online but they can be bought for half the price from Alibaba etc

And if you order them now, you might have them in time for Covid-20 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

By the sounds of it, once we get the nursing homes vaccinated, a huge swathe of the population will stand a far higher chance of not dying from Covid. It will take people a while to get over the fear and for government to communicate that we can begin to "live with covid". They need to be strong because we don't seem to be accepting any Covid deaths.

By the sounds of it, once we get the nursing homes vaccinated, a huge swathe of the population will stand a far higher chance of not dying from Covid. It will take people a while to get over the fear and for government to communicate that we can begin to "live with covid". They need to be strong because we don't seem to be accepting any Covid deaths.

The problem isn't the deaths alone. It's the hospitalisations and ICU capacity. Almost half of all cases of hospitalisations are people less than 65. Vaccinations in nursing homes will prevent deaths but on it's own it won't mean a whole lot for risk to hospital capacity. Deaths, of course, but that's not really the primary driver of the restrictions.

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Look at the hospital figures for more accurate comparisons as we are testing alot more now than previous peak.

But yeah its not pretty.

Yeah the cases are really a proxy for the more pertinent numbers but the higher testing and higher positivity rate does indicate a higher prevalence than in March/April.

The problem isn't the deaths alone. It's the hospitalisations and ICU capacity. Almost half of all cases of hospitalisations are people less than 65. Vaccinations in nursing homes will prevent deaths but on it's own it won't mean a whole lot for risk to hospital capacity. Deaths, of course, but that's not really the primary driver of the restrictions.

The plan was and likely still is that the over 65s in longterm care, frontline workers in patient contact & the over 70s are the first groups to be vaccinated.

Of the "Almost half of all cases of hospitalisations are people less than 65" I would presume lots of these have underlying conditions......... such folk will likely be prioritised for a vaccine also over the rest of the population.

Up to the 12th Dec the following was the case......

Underlying medical conditions in individuals with confirmed COVID-19 by setting..... Community 23%, Acute Hospital 63%, ICU 88.6% , died 93.4%

Nothing about age group in the above but .......Underlying medical conditions in individuals with confirmed COVID-19 by age group, up to midnight 12/12/2020 ........ total show 25% had Underlying condition, 58% No underlying condition & 16% unknown.

Basically most folk who catch covid don't have an underlying condition but most folk in hospital with covid do have an underlying condition.

I doubt that has changed tbh.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/underlyingconditionsreports/Underlying%20conditions%20summary_1.0v%2014122020.pdf

I can't see gyms open before March tbh. I've a pull up / dip station thing nearly 200 miles away that I'll use a few times over the coming months when I'm there on work related trips. Few dumb bells at home that I've little interest in using but can do dips and press ups etc at home..... I'll concentrate on cleaning up the diet some running I reckon. Try and get under 85kg for when the gyms open and then get back to 1.5 times BW bench press after a couple of months of gym time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement