Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data recovery from dead HDD - options and prices?

Options
  • 25-10-2020 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

My parents HDD has died, not recognised by their pc or my own either. There does sound like soemthing is moving when you power on desktop but not recognised by Windows at all.

Are there any tools I could use to attempt a recovery if it's not appearing in any form? I assume not.

In the absence of tools I can use myself, are there companies in Ireland (specifically Cork) that people might be able to recommend? And what sort of average cost would you be looking at?

The issue is photos on the HDD. Some have been backed up to Google photos already but some have not, and can't be replaced.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey all,

My parents HDD has died, not recognised by their pc or my own either. There does sound like soemthing is moving when you power on desktop but not recognised by Windows at all.

Are there any tools I could use to attempt a recovery if it's not appearing in any form? I assume not.

In the absence of tools I can use myself, are there companies in Ireland (specifically Cork) that people might be able to recommend? And what sort of average cost would you be looking at?

The issue is photos on the HDD. Some have been backed up to Google photos already but some have not, and can't be replaced.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

If you have good computer skills/workmanship you could order an identical HDD online and transfer the platter. The new hdd should directly work with the old platter. Many have done this successfully

Just work in a clean, static and dust free environment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

corglass wrote: »
    If you have good computer skills/workmanship you could order an identical HDD online and transfer the platter. The new hdd should directly work with the old platter. Many have done this successfully

Just work in a clean, static and dust free environment

I think this was with old harddrives from the 90’s.
    Unlikely work now even if you could find an identical board. Calibration data sometimes stored on drive board + heads now are far more delicate.

If the drive is making unusual noises and its important - dont try any - more send for recovery - it will likely cost many hundreds euros to recover.

I tried the fridge trick once and it worked for me but i wouldn't do it on anything really important or someone elses drive.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye try the fridge trick, it worked for me in the past, put it well wrapped up in the freezer for 30 mins, and then attach it to your computer and see can it be read. Does no harm if it does not work, its the last step before having to pay and arm and a leg for professional data recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Put drive into freezer for 2 hours. Was able to recover everything from the user profile needed except for the Dropbox folder, and that's backed up anyway. Bizarre to think that this would work, but it did.

Sound shout lads.

Advertisement