Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about union membership

Options
  • 25-10-2020 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, I was a member of tui, took a year out of teaching and stoped paying my membership fees, this year I'm subbing. Do I need to back pay the fees for my year out ? Also I know union membership is very important but I'm considering not paying again this year as money is tight and I don't know what work I will have for the year. If I don't pay fees this year will I have to repay if/when I rejoin ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

theghjistu wrote: »
    Hello, I was a member of tui, took a year out of teaching and stoped paying my membership fees, this year I'm subbing. Do I need to back pay the fees for my year out ? Also I know union membership is very important but I'm considering not paying again this year as money is tight and I don't know what work I will have for the year. If I don't pay fees this year will I have to repay if/when I rejoin ?

I was in a situation like that and the department took it from my payslip again when I started working again. Unless you inform the department, the same will probably happen. I didn't have to pay any additional fees. Check your payslip. I wouldn't go without union protection. I'm not TUI but you can join for ~€50 to ASTI as a substitute teacher - well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

theghjistu wrote: »

The TUI now deduct a % based deduction from your payslip to a maximum of just over €350 per year.
    If subbing, it is the same system, i think it is something like 0.8% so it will rise and fall depending on your fortnightly earnings.
    If you earn nothing for two weeks you owe nothing.

Im not 100% sure if this started in January 2019 or 2020, however if arrears built up during your time away your branch can get get them wiped. Ask your branch treasurer where you stand and they will asdist you if needed in getting the arrears wiped.

As regards wether you can afford it, my advice is always can you afford not to have union membership.
    Once the pandemic ends and the magic money tree is cut down, unions will be needed more than ever.

Advertisement