Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to cancel Sky Ireland TV subscription

• 25-10-2020 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jos_kel

Hi,
    We’re trying to cancel our Sky Ireland TV subscription.
    However it’s really difficult to get through to anyone on the telephone.
    Has anyone else had this experience and how did you eventually manage to unsubscribe?

Thanks,

Jos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

Hi.
    I found when your asked for a reason by the automated service say "upgrade my package", that seemed to get through to customer support quicker than saying "leave sky or cancel"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,285 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you do get through tell them you a migrating to Zaire, otherwise they will try to keep you connected on the minimum possible plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ring early in the morning.

Unless you are looking to get a discount and stay, tell them that you are moving home or emigrating

The "marriage split" works well too as an excuse. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

You can cancel through their website now:
    https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv-roi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

ongarite wrote: »
    You can cancel through their website now:
    https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv-roi

No you can't.

That is just a contact form for them to call you back at some point.

Though you can write to them and cancel, but be certain that you comply with their full terms and conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I was trying to contact them recently, with absolutely no joy.

I then dm'd them on Twitter and they sorted my issue with no problems, very quickly.

I only have a Twitter account to contact people re account issues. It seems most companies use it as a CS platform now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I'm having awful trouble trying to contact them myself to cancel.

Filled in the online form last week. They called the next day but hung up in what must have been on the first ring. Received an email saying they tried to call me but couldn't get me and to call them.

Called Friday-Closed
    Called Saturday-Closed
    Called Monday-Closed
    Called today-Closed

Was really annoyed at this stage so tried the upgrade package attempt and they just sent me a text with info how to do it online and hung up.

Called again and just said agent and it said they've so many calls they've closed their phone lines and just hung up again. :mad:

Very easy to go online and upgrade your package but to downgrade/cancel you've to ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

I am trying to cancel SKY through messenger

tomorrow will be day 5 being passed from agent to agent or department to department but the best they can do is offer better deals and when I asking just to cancel my subscription only warned me that I could not rejoin for a year and I would never eve be able to get the same deal as I have now

where should I be looking for more info on unsubscribing ….

it seems that cancelling SKY throughbank be a lot easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First of all you are being told lies. Secondly if I understand correctly messenger is part of Facebook so you have a record of the exchanges. Give your cancellation notice and leave it at that. They will insist on calling you but you cant avoid that as its in their T&Cs. Dont cancel the direct debit as that would cause you more headaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

the easiest way is to send an email to mysky@sky.ie with the subject 'Account Cancellation' and your sky number/name address and state that you wish to cancel your account with 31 days notice. They will call you back in a few days and offer you a deal and if you do not wish to accept the deal they will accept your cancellation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

When I cancelled my Sky subscription on the phone, I actually had to get angry at the cancellation agent, they were doing so many stall tactics so I would hang up the call. So obnoxious they were. Would never go back to them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭con747

I cancelled Sky Q 2 years ago with great difficulty but I had the last laugh because before they asked me to return the Sky Q boxes they sent me a "thank you for returning your equipment email" They then requested the return of said equipment but backed down when I forwarded them the email they sent to me. Never again will I go near SKY.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

It's the luck of the game who you get. Got a right wagon on the phone yesterday who wouldn't listen to me when I kept saying 'just cancel please'. Kept reading bumph at me and got annoyed when I wouldn't answer her questions about what I was going to watch when I cancelled Sky. She offered me a tenner off and I said no, just cancel please which she relutcantly did. I said I have another accound to cancel also (my mother's) and she just hung up on me! Rang back and got a lovely guy who gave me twenty quid off on both accounts so I'm staying put. Fed up having to do the same dance every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I managed to leave Sky about 2 years ago, and since then, I've spoken to them more times than I did as a customer for almost 20 years....

I usually get a call every month or 2 from them with 'super exciting deals' to entice me back to them...

I ask them where were these super deals when I was still a customer, and that I have absolutely no intention of ever returning to Sky as a customer...

90% of the calls are from the same guy from Donegal, and I tell him to take my number off their list and stop calling me, but he keeps on calling..... I'm actually due a call from him soon enough as I think the last one was in Sept/Oct..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

We recently moved house and opted to change to another company. I had tried to cancel Sky 3 times, was left hanging for about 2 hours in total, was hooshed from Billy to Jack, one call dropped then had to redial another. What I didn't realise was that I had called a premium number at a charge of 96 euro in total. I decided there and then to cancel the DD. Got a redirected letter from them this morning saying that I had not given them 31 days notice. I did try, they stuck their fingers in their ears. Let them take me to court. Bullyboy tactics.

There is an opt out facility available through your phone provider whereby your number is listed in a national directory database to not receive marketing calls. This is available to all land line customers so I'm assuming the same applies to mobiles.

Companies or businesses that don't adhere to that leave themselves open to prosecution by COMREG. From past experience if a business called me for marketing purposes I would just tell them that they shouldn't be doing so, to make a note that I have opted out of marketing calls and I never would have heard from them again.

How were you calling a premium number? Sky doesn't operate one of those.

Ah lovely sky still act like you’re breaking up with them when you want to cancel..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

I was calling whatever number for Sky Ireland came up online, and vodafone charged me the earth for it. It may not have been a premium number, but was charged at a premium rate. I reckon this is another of Sky's tactics to make it difficult to move away from them.

If you want to know the number I called, my daughter also did, on another occasion, I will be happy to trawl through my phone, with lengths of times hanging on!

Sky's contact numbers have always been the 0818 type but for billing purposes those are now classed as local/national calls and unless you have a very strange package with Vodafone they are free or free as part of the monthly plan. Apart from that Sky also has a freefone number that they dont advertise obviously. I cant recall what it is but someone else might post it up here so as you have it for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭con747

Sky Ireland 1800 927 476 was the last one I had when with them a few years ago.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement