Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MultiTool recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Looks good enough. I have the DeWalt battery one after having a cheap Lidl one for years. The Lidl one was slow but did the job. I'd recommend the DeWalt for anyone that is already into their battery system.

What are you cutting? Fine for wood but I found nearly all the blades including the expensive blades for cutting metal useless on modern hardened screws which seem to turn up whenever I have a use for a multitool.

Also beware the blade fitting. There are many types but most blades you buy have two distinct fittings. I had a load of blades for the Lidl Parkside MultiTool but none of them fitted the DeWalt.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Bought a cordless one in Lidl a few months ago for a couple of odds jobs (cutting wood, removing grouting and some sanding) and it managed it all without any major hassle and was cheap as chips.
    Very impressed with it especially as it came with a few attachments, other attachments depending on what you were using it for were cheap enough to buy as well.
    Easy enough to recharge and the battery also can be used in any other cordless Lidl tool.
    Saw a cordless one in Woodies and the attachments were nearly the same price as the unit from Lidl!
    Never had one before but would recommend the Lidl one based on the jobs I had to do with it but you would have to wait for it to come back in again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Mostly cutting wood
    Remove grout
    If they can cut tiles aswell all the better

I used a Dewalt corded one yesterday and it was great

Loads of Youtube videos comparing them and this webpage compares 25 and has a few good points but tbh the difference between the better ones isn't huge https://www.protoolreviews.com/buying-guides/best-oscillating-tool-review-and-shootout/37382/ - sorry mainly American tools but shows what to look for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Never seen that B&Q brand before but 300W should be pretty decent.
    I bought this 350W Worx version a few years ago when it was on sale for £55 and it's done a lot of work and going strong. Never mind the accessories as most of them are sandpaper, you'll have to get a carbide attachment for removing grout but otherwise you should be good to go.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MYZHWAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    If you're not in a rush set an alert on CamelCamel with a desired price and you'll get an email whenever it drops before that set price.

You'll need a 4" grinder for cutting tiles, found these blades very good and a lot cheaper than what you'll find in stores here
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prodiamant-Premium-Diamond-Porcelain-Stoneware/dp/B07VNMGYN1/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=PRODIAMANT+premium+diamond+cutting+disc+tile%2Ffine+stoneware+PDX93.936+-+115+x+22.23mm&qid=1603658598&sr=8-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you can get cordless within your budget do. I have a corded and a cordless one. And always only ever reach for the cordless. Batteries never let me down yet and it's just easier to grab and use. They are only used in short stints but having freedom of movement is vital. Whatever battery system you are in go for that.

But I found the Ryobi one to be great I have that one because I've a few units Ryobi and value for money it's excellent.

Have a couple of dewalt flexvolt batteries too but the Ryobi unit was much cheaper to buy for the same outcome.

I see Aldi have one coming soon
    https://www.aldi.ie/ferrex-300w-multifunction-tool/p/802084390872900

Not familiar with the Ferex range but I have a Parkside detailed sander I've had for years and is just as good if not better than any Bosch one that came before it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I bought a Bosch GOP 55-36 110v corded multitool and its a beast, 550w is well able for most things that I would want to cut.
    It has Starlock Max fitment so will accept all the previous Starlock iterations before the Max variant which means a lot of tool choice and a wide selection of tools available as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

I've this Erbauer one - https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-emt300-qc-300w-electric-multi-tool-220-240v/622fx

Not used it loads yet but love it so far.

tiredcity wrote: »
    I've this Erbauer one - https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-emt300-qc-300w-electric-multi-tool-220-240v/622fx

Not used it loads yet but love it so far.

When you start analyzing the reviews there isn't a whole lot that separates the best from the not as good tools.

Just having any multitool is better than not having one. When you need one its probably the only tool that will do the job.

The only real decision users need to make is whether to stay corded or go cordless. I feel this is one tool where its worth spending the extra on a cordless battery tool because you get more use out of it but for very occasional use corded is going to be a more sensible option. If you are already in debt to a brand with their batteries then probably best getting a bare tool that uses the same batteries.

• Advertisement

I’m not stuck on a brand because of batteries
    A corded unit wouldn’t bother me

Forgot about screw fix
    Must have a look at what they have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

I see Aldi have this one for sale from Thurs 29th for €29.50.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-300w-multifunction-tool/p/099148298051500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

listermint wrote: »
    If you can get cordless within your budget do. I have a corded and a cordless one. And always only ever reach for the cordless. Batteries never let me down yet and it's just easier to grab and use. They are only used in short stints but having freedom of movement is vital. Whatever battery system you are in go for that.

But I found the Ryobi one to be great I have that one because I've a few units Ryobi and value for money it's excellent.

Have a couple of dewalt flexvolt batteries too but the Ryobi unit was much cheaper to buy for the same outcome.

I've mostly corded tools and a few odd cordless Black and Decker tools at the moment. Looking to stick with one battery system. Bouncing between Dewalt and Ryobi at the moment. Leaning towards Dewalt, but the price difference is significant alright.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I've mostly corded tools and a few odd cordless Black and Decker tools at the moment. Looking to stick with one battery system. Bouncing between Dewalt and Ryobi at the moment. Leaning towards Dewalt, but the price difference is significant alright.

I do believe too much emphasis is put on the one battery system stuff. Fine if your a tradesperson. But as an average user i think going for the best value quality tool for a given job makes more sense. No use having tools out there that require 100 Euro + batteries and tools to match.

Example of this is, I currently own a mix of Dewalt, Bosch, Ryobi, WORX battery gear and other corded equipment.

I buy based on value for money and quality for a given task. individual manufacturers can make some absymal tools within their range where another manufacturer can have a better version of the same tool.

The battery thing is obviously put out their by manufacturers to scare you into staying inside their eco system. Charging each marque makes no ends to me. They are all charged in the garage at a charging station.

Coming back to this, the Ryobi one i own died a death. no reason just stopped working. Its had a relatively sedate life and i do mean that very little work through it. Perhaps 60 mins over the last few months max. All my other ryobi stuff has been perfect over the last few years. but i guess their multitool is not good quality. As i say all marques have bad apples in them.

Ive put in order for DeWalt DCS355N this morning. Ryobi is going back for refund. Will see how the DeWalt stacks up.

I picked up one of the Aldi ones last week....will be taking it out of the box in the next couple days and give it a test run and will update

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I picked up one of the Aldi ones last week....will be taking it out of the box in the next couple days and give it a test run and will update

I thought the Aldi special buy stuff was cancelled? Was looking at picking up one of those myself

irishbuzz wrote: »
    I thought the Aldi special buy stuff was cancelled? Was looking at picking up one of those myself

i think it depends on the product

Coming back to this, the Ryobi one i own died a death. no reason just stopped working.

Mine too, I was absolutely raging as I needed it badly.
    They replaced it but that was the end of me buying Ryobi.
    I also killed a one+ SDS and they repaired it but it died again.
    I had given that a hard but short life to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you are in the market for a multi-tool, you are probaly inclined to do a bit of DIY & buy more tools... you should consider investing in a battery system so that you can add tools as you need.

That can be Lidl, Ryobi, DeWalt... whatever. Just chose a system that allows to to buy the tools and not just one item at a time. Although, I wouldn't be confident in Lidl or Aldi being loyal to a particular battery type & you may have difficulty getting tools for the same system in the future.

I have a Makita drill that I bought a few years ago in the Middle East when I lived there... I recently added a jigsaw and lawn mower, but didn't have to buy anymore batteries because I had the original set from the drill... Now I just keep those two batteries charged and can use them with any of my tools. Makita tools are easily available as 'tool only' so you don't have to spend money on batteries.

Only one charger in the shed, no feckin around and I know that if I need more tools or batteries in the future, they'll all work off the same system...

• Advertisement

Withe the risk of going OT ,
    I bought two 5ah generic 18v makita batteries off amazon for 50e last week.
    Have ran them through the 36v chainsaw a few times and so far so good.
    time will tell!

Withe the risk of going OT ,
    I bought two 5ah generic 18v makita batteries off amazon for 50e last week.
    Have ran them through the 36v chainsaw a few times and so far so good.
    time will tell!

Keep us posted... I'm interested to find out how they go...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Keep us posted... I'm interested to find out how they go...

Will do.
    Its not something I would usually do but Amazon wouldn't ship me the genuine ones :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

I had a varient of one of these multitools - came with lots of great looking attachments, diamond saws etc - used it once to carve a small bit out of some soft skirting board - and the pins that lock the blade from twisting around all sheared off.

Poor power tool that relies on 1mm Tiny pins to do the work... Very unimpressed.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    I had a varient of one of these multitools - came with lots of great looking attachments, diamond saws etc - used it once to carve a small bit out of some soft skirting board - and the pins that lock the blade from twisting around all sheared off.

Poor power tool that relies on 1mm Tiny pins to do the work... Very unimpressed.

Sounds like a cheap one. I've had two so far none of done this . Also sounds like the retention nut wasnt on properly you can't sheer the heads if the nut is tightened properly

Buying cheap tools is a false economy in some cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There are various different methods of tool attachment and availability and cross fitment is a big selling point for me, that is one of the main reasons I opted for the Bosch system, Starlock Max can use all the previous versions of Starlock and OIS as well.
    https://www.kelvinpowertools.com/blog/blog/new-bosch-fein-starlock-system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Bought the Lidl multi on special offer a while back (cordless type) for some small jobs around the house (well just one but don't tell the mrs), great bit of kit tbh, far better than I thought it would be

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My 2c.

I have a Makita 18V LXT multi tool. It's not useless, but it goes through blades like nothing else.

I can get months and hundreds of cuts out of a circular saw blade, but it seems like I need a fresh multi tool blade for every small job.

I've tried expensive blades, cheap blades, fine teeth, coarse teeth, blades for "wood and nails", blades for wood only, blades for multi materials, blades with yellow carbide coatings, straight blades, narrow blades, wide blades, semi-circular blades. Doesn't really make much of a difference, they all end up in the bin in short order.

Basically, I'll only use it as a tool of last resort for flush cutting. It's usually better to figure out how to remove the thing I need to cut and do it properly, rather than trying to do a flush cut in situ.

Am I alone in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

Lumen wrote: »
    My 2c.

I have a Makita 18V LXT multi tool. It's not useless, but it goes through blades like nothing else.

I can get months and hundreds of cuts out of a circular saw blade, but it seems like I need a fresh multi tool blade for every small job.

I've tried expensive blades, cheap blades, fine teeth, coarse teeth, blades for "wood and nails", blades for wood only, blades for multi materials, blades with yellow carbide coatings, straight blades, narrow blades, wide blades, semi-circular blades. Doesn't really make much of a difference, they all end up in the bin in short order.

Basically, I'll only use it as a tool of last resort for flush cutting. It's usually better to figure out how to remove the thing I need to cut and do it properly, rather than trying to do a flush cut in situ.

Am I alone in this?

Not just you. Whilst I've not gone the full spectrum of price points, the cheap ones last about as long as the more expensive ones. I'm not gonna even bother buying the truly dear ones. I've started considering them as consumables. I get a pack of 20 or whatever for cheap, use one once, bin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Romer wrote: »
    Not just you. Whilst I've not gone the full spectrum of price points, the cheap ones last about as long as the more expensive ones. I'm not gonna even bother buying the truly dear ones. I've started considering them as consumables. I get a pack of 20 or whatever for cheap, use one once, bin it.

That's what some flooring fitters told me. They buy a multi pack of generic ones from Amazon or ebay or whatever and they end up in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Ive put in order for DeWalt DCS355N this morning. Ryobi is going back for refund. Will see how the DeWalt stacks up.

I've just bought same one this morning. Know a lot of people who use Dewalt and the battery system for all their main tools so that's the direction I've gone.

That's what some flooring fitters told me. They buy a multi pack of generic ones from Amazon or ebay or whatever and they end up in the bin.

I buy them from AliExpress for feck all. Handy to just have some in the drawer on the garage. Takes ages to get here but they are inexpensive

I've compared cheap Amazon ones to genuine rip off price DeWalt blades and there is no way I can justify the 7-10 quid a pop for the DeWalt ones.

Its down to use imo. This is a tool for cutting wood and a few other jobs but its not a tool for cutting any type of metal. Modern hardened screws blunt genuine blades (one designated as for cutting metal) just as quick as the cheap ones and even soft steel nails blunt both quickly although I've noticed the genuine blades last a little longer but still not long enough to justify the price difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

as continental says they are not designed for cutting screws. i wouldnt even try unless it was the last resort .

i usually buy the faithfull pack you regularly see in those real deals for you christmas offers. fairly good for a decent price. i bought a pack on amazon and they are working very well so far, no complaints. you have to see them are consumables and more like a jigsaw blade than a circular saw blade.

i find your techneque plays a big facter is how long they last. i keep low pressure and constantly move left and right and sometimes cut more on the left then right ect.
    the depth stop accesory for the dewalt is great for architrves and skirting to stop you hitting the wall

i have mine in a sort of system of boxs, new blades, newish but still good, fair and blunt, this way i only use the worst blade that will do the job,. no point using a new blade to cut a plasterslab (again)
    i often sharpen the blunt ones with a skinny disk in the minigrinder, they are grand for rougher dirtier cutting where cut quality isnt that important like cutting a piece out of a stud or joist.

• Advertisement

Another tip - works for me - if you are cutting out along a longish line is to screw or clamp a straight square edged piece of timber along the line of the cut. Then you can hold the blade flat on the timber guide to get a really good square edged accurate cut.

Similarly if you need to cut say a square sided hole you can use another piece of timber as a guide to get decent accuracy.

I bought a couple of packs of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GU1D6P8/ (about £18 each on some deal or other) and they will last me a very long time at the rate I use them.

Off topic but at least on the topic of multi tools, has anyone used one cut through the brass catch on an inside door when someone has locked it and lost the key. Nearly had to do this when my mother hid the house keys again and forgot where she put them. I could have got to inside of the door and thought a multi tool might do the job, if it saved damaging the door it wouldn't have mattered if used a dozen blades. I'd have ordered a set of skeleton keys if I'd had more time but luckly the keys were found.

Off topic but at least on the topic of multi tools, has anyone used one cut through the brass catch on an inside door when someone has locked it and lost the key. Nearly had to do this when my mother hid the house keys again and forgot where she put them. I could have got to inside of the door and thought a multi tool might do the job, if it saved damaging the door it wouldn't have mattered if used a dozen blades. I'd have ordered a set of skeleton keys if I'd had more time but luckly the keys were found.

if its a 2 lever lock it will cut fairly easily. 1 decent blade will do it no problem. they are usually brass or aluminium coated in brass.
    5 lever have other metals reinforcing it so i would guess would take a lot more cutting.. cut a few 2 levers but not any 3 or 5 levers.

Good to know, I didn't try it but was still wondering if it was a good idea or not. Don't worry I wouldn't even think about trying it on any decent lock with steel rollers in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Can you trim laminate on a screened floor with a multitool?

• Advertisement

What's a screened floor? Laminate should be cut with a Stanley blade.

What's a screened floor? Laminate should be cut with a Stanley blade.

Screeded

I'll go with the Stanley blade then

Screeded

I'll go with the Stanley blade then

What do you mean by laminate. If its flooring g then a stanley knife wont do much. A multitool with depth stop will work fine

What do you mean by laminate. If its flooring g then a stanley knife wont do much. A multitool with depth stop will work fine

Ya laminate flooring I need to trim it

I have a multitool with wood blades

Ya laminate flooring I need to trim it

I have a multitool with wood blades

It will cut it no problem. It will be hard on blades

Dont hit concrete or the blade will be ruined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

yeah it'll work for trimming bits here. just be careful not to force it too much. Did a room here two weeks ago and the blades actually turned blue from me pushing it too hard. Did most of the sizing cuts with a hand saw which the saw did not appreciate.

I think whatever composite the laminates are made of gunked up the teeth.

Did the job no problem

I've laid the 3 floor tiles in position but they're little wobbly on the screed floor

How much of an issue is this, I'll go over the floor and check it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is the floor clean? did you vacuum it before laying them?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is the floor clean? did you vacuum it before laying them?

Yes and I haven't laid them yet

It's only 3 tiles , I might go over the floor with a scraper attachment

How much of an issue is a small wobble , will the tile adhesive even it out much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

I do believe too much emphasis is put on the one battery system stuff. Fine if your a tradesperson. But as an average user i think going for the best value quality tool for a given job makes more sense. No use having tools out there that require 100 Euro + batteries and tools to match.

Example of this is, I currently own a mix of Dewalt, Bosch, Ryobi, WORX battery gear and other corded equipment.

I buy based on value for money and quality for a given task. individual manufacturers can make some absymal tools within their range where another manufacturer can have a better version of the same tool.

The battery thing is obviously put out their by manufacturers to scare you into staying inside their eco system. Charging each marque makes no ends to me. They are all charged in the garage at a charging station.

It has to be said though it makes it a lot easier if all your tools use the same batteries. Easier to manage, you can invest in a few and maintain rather than maintaining many.

I've the makita range at the moment, lawnmower, strimmer, power tools. Have four batteries. The body only powertools are quite affordable.

I had to pick up a dewalt nail gun recently and it was a tough decision, however I came across a battery adapter to allow you to use makita batteries with the dewalt range. Was a life saver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement