Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a little house in Sligo town/city. Views welcome thanks.

Options
  • 25-10-2020 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all.

My OH is from NW but is not that familiar with Sligo itself and its areas.

We were thinking (me a Dub gawd help us) of buying something over there. Nothing fancy just the basics.

Does anyone know anything or could comment on the St. Asicus area at all? It looks ok right by the river and close to everything. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hello all.

My OH is from NW but is not that familiar with Sligo itself and its areas.

We were thinking (me a Dub gawd help us) of buying something over there. Nothing fancy just the basics.

Does anyone know anything or could comment on the St. Asicus area at all? It looks ok right by the river and close to everything. Thanks.

I put that into google maps and cant find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've lived in Sligo most of my life and never heard of it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

St Asicus Terrace, Riverside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Saint Asicus Terrace
    Riverside, Abbeyquarter North, Sligo
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/TcaacpvVeGA56fX26

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I think that's around Gaol road by the garavogue.

If you want to live in town it's a central location and is near a park and sports centre and walking distance of Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl.

It's an older part of Sligo so I expect houses need some upgrading.

I don't know much else about the neighbourhood.

I find Sligo is much more interesting outside the town if you're open to more rural living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I am from Sligo and work on jfk parade so right beside that area. That is a lovely area on riverside and as safe as anywhere with easy access to town, supermarkets and the Doorley park area. I live in Calry and it’s a right pain to circumnavigate Sligo but if you don’t have to drive to that side of town it’s easily accessible with a bridge. You get a few homeless people from the shelters down about the river from time to time drinking but they don’t bother anyone they just have no where to go during the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks everyone. We missed the bus, the house we were looking at last week is under offer. Just had a look there again!

Things happen for a reason I suppose! Anyway, I might be back looking for more info if you all don't mind, and thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Thanks everyone. We missed the bus, the house we were looking at last week is under offer. Just had a look there again!

Things happen for a reason I suppose! Anyway, I might be back looking for more info if you all don't mind, and thanks again.

Seems to be a fast moving market in the town with properties selling fast enough. You have a lot on the doorstep in the Riverside area so it is worth continuing to look at. Other side of town (Church hill/Jinks ave) has more for sale at the moment but they are divided by the inner relief road. Bus service does cover a lot of the town if you don't drive. Good luck with the search & do ask questions here & we'll try to help.

Side note of caution if you have kids & Doorly park - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997149

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Seems to be a fast moving market in the town with properties selling fast enough. You have a lot on the doorstep in the Riverside area so it is worth continuing to look at. Other side of town (Church hill/Jinks ave) has more for sale at the moment but they are divided by the inner relief road. Bus service does cover a lot of the town if you don't drive. Good luck with the search & do ask questions here & we'll try to help.

Side note of caution if you have kids & Doorly park - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997149

Thank you very much for the info, and offer of help if and when, and I am sure all Sligo people are similar to yourself. Much appreciated.

Driving is not a problem, but we like to be within reasonable walking distance of things just the same, and there is a train back to the Smoke if needed too. Ticks a lot of boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

You can be sure that if you have any questions at all any of us here will be more than happy to help!
    Thank you very much for the info, and offer of help if and when, and I am sure all Sligo people are similar to yourself. Much appreciated.

Driving is not a problem, but we like to be within reasonable walking distance of things just the same, and there is a train back to the Smoke if needed too. Ticks a lot of boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lenan

Check out Tracey Ave, old ex co council terrace houses. Due to age may need modernisation. Very quiet, nice settled area, 5 min walk to train station 10 min walk to town. 5 min walk to a lovely park. Post office and a good Centra directly across from it. Right beside The Showgrounds if you have an interest in soccer. Merville community centre in normal times has exercise classes, active retirement etc. 7-8 mins in car will bring to ever popular Strandhill village. 2 mins in the car and youll be on new road linking to N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

I second that along with Jinks Ave which is right beside Treacy Ave. A friend of mine bought a house there about 5 years ago and it's absolutely lovely.Really quiet area and nice neighbours.
    lenan wrote: »
    Check out Tracey Ave, old ex co council terrace houses. Due to age may need modernisation. Very quiet, nice settled area, 5 min walk to train station 10 min walk to town. 5 min walk to a lovely park. Post office and a good Centra directly across from it. Right beside The Showgrounds if you have an interest in soccer. Merville community centre in normal times has exercise classes, active retirement etc. 7-8 mins in car will bring to ever popular Strandhill village. 2 mins in the car and youll be on new road linking to N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Jinks Ave is great as is Treacy Ave and Maugheraboy, Cedar Drive.

Very active residents associations who keep it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Anything that has come up for sale in Riverside in the last few months has sold like a flash, except for one house in Doorly Park. You need to be quick out of the traps buy there. The stock except for Abbeyville Park are pre-1960's LA houses. They are very simple and well-built houses and easy to upgrade. The area seems to be on the up. Covid raised the appreciation of the area among local people and usage of the public walking areas has massively increased. There are about 300 acres or so I am told of public spaces between Doorly Park/Cleveragh Park/Carns Wood and the racecourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Anything that has come up for sale in Riverside in the last few months has sold like a flash, except for one house in Doorly Park. You need to be quick out of the traps buy there. The stock except for Abbeyville Park are pre-1960's LA houses. They are very simple and well-built houses and easy to upgrade. The area seems to be on the up. Covid raised the appreciation of the area among local people and usage of the public walking areas has massively increased. There are about 300 acres or so I am told of public spaces between Doorly Park/Cleveragh Park/Carns Wood and the racecourse.

Riverside/Doorly Park/Abbeyville are perfectly located for the park and town - the houses there might be available for decent prices but the houses need decent investment to modernise them. Also, their proximity to certain estates is not appealing for some: https://www.highlandradio.com/2020/11/22/gardai-seize-around-e196000-worth-of-drugs-in-sligo/

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

marvin80 wrote: »
    Riverside/Doorly Park/Abbeyville are perfectly located for the park and town - the houses there might be available for decent prices but the houses need decent investment to modernise them. Also, their proximity to certain estates is not appealing for some: https://www.highlandradio.com/2020/11/22/gardai-seize-around-e196000-worth-of-drugs-in-sligo/

Believe it or not, some of those houses are actually modernised probably because they are in fact relatively cheap to bring to a good standard. The location of that seizure is about 1.5 KM from Riverside which is not particularly proximate and if everybody were to employ vast exclusion zones around addresses where there have been drug raids in the past, most of the country would be uninhabitable.

There are plenty of people who post on here who live in or are from Cranmore and I don't think any of them or indeed any Sligo locals will appreciate your snide remarks about the place nor will the OP gain from anything from the other inaccuracies either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

To be fair, there is nothing snide about saying certain estates wouldn't be appealing to some. The one in question isn't prime real estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

There are plenty of people who post on here who live in or are from Cranmore and I don't think any of them or indeed any Sligo locals will appreciate your snide remarks about the place nor will the OP gain from anything from the other inaccuracies either.

This.
    I was going to reply to that uninformed post until I read your reply.
    MY BAD wrote: »
    To be fair, there is nothing snide about saying certain estates wouldn't be appealing to some. The one in question isn't prime real estate.

I also thought about replying to you, but remembered that you can't argue with stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Luighne DP

I don't think it's disrespectful to point out an areas flaws, especially for someone asking for advice and not familiar with the area. Anyone I know from Cranmore is sound, but I don't know everyone... Like many former corporation housing estates it has historic baggage, and still might have isolated issues today. Like the link posted above. Personally I wouldn't buy to live in the area.

Just a quick thank you to all who helped my OP.

Will be looking again post Christmas, so if I find anything, will be very grateful for your comments and advice then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement