Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Material : Is it all in your head

Options
  • 25-10-2020 8:34pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I ask as I am looking at a new bike (or 2nd hand). Any previous MTB has been Alu bar one CroMoly, without issue, loved every minute. Looking around, I see I am either Alu, Carbon/Au mix, or full carbon. Other than weight, is there any actual benefit of one over another, do most people ride Alu or Carbon. I am in no way technically gifted and while I can pick good lines, tend to plough on if it looks like a bit of craic to try it. So simply, does it matter, i want something that will, bar getting knicked or run over, last a couple of tough years. I presume there is no real difference bar weight but maybe someone can correct me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

This will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

CramCycle wrote: »
    I ask as I am looking at a new bike (or 2nd hand). Any previous MTB has been Alu bar one CroMoly, without issue, loved every minute. Looking around, I see I am either Alu, Carbon/Au mix, or full carbon. Other than weight, is there any actual benefit of one over another, do most people ride Alu or Carbon. I am in no way technically gifted and while I can pick good lines, tend to plough on if it looks like a bit of craic to try it. So simply, does it matter, i want something that will, bar getting knicked or run over, last a couple of tough years. I presume there is no real difference bar weight but maybe someone can correct me.

Buy whatever you can get a good deal on and personally I’d buy the bike with the better components with a Aluminium frame than one with a carbon frame and lesser components. I’d my first mountain bike in 1988 so I’ve had a fair few and to be honest all mountain bikes are great especially your next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I did one of those demo days in the gap last year and I tried a load of different manufacturers and models from €4.5k alloy (only one I believe) to €9k carbon. My favourite was the alloy one although still made money and mainly due to the geometry of the frame. It felt planted in the corners.

IMO carbon makes sweet FA difference on a MTB, I'd rather have the next level of components on an alloy frame than pick a carbon frame with lesser components.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

maddness wrote: »
    Buy whatever you can get a good deal on and personally I’d buy the bike with the better components with a Aluminium frame than one with a carbon frame and lesser components. I’d my first mountain bike in 1988 so I’ve had a fair few and to be honest all mountain bikes are great especially your next one.

My last one was fully rigid and was fine around my local area for the most part, fast as hell on the smooth trails but very slow on anything technical descent wise. Possibly going full mental on my next one and getting full sus, having never went down that route before. I take it your opinion is that the components are more important than the frame. Is the feeling they you typically won't upgrade them again. I'd be looking at this as a one time buy to last me 10 to 15 years bar replacement parts, so I'd have thought the better frame is the smarter option. At some of the bikes I am looking at the Carbon ones appear to have better components and are a kilo lighter, but that adds a grand onto the price. Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

Carbon frame makes zero difference on an MTB imo, a bit of a weight saving, thats all, but if you had the choice between and alu or carbon version of the same bike, I'd go alu and spend the money saved on a decent set of lighter wheels and tyres (original equipment tyres on many mtbs can be muck).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Biopace wrote: »
    Carbon frame makes zero difference on an MTB imo, a bit of a weight saving, thats all, but if you had the choice between and alu or carbon version of the same bike, I'd go alu and spend the money saved on a decent set of lighter wheels and tyres (original equipment tyres on many mtbs can be muck).

I'll try and figure out if the difference in spec justified the price difference then. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Advertisement