Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best paid email provider

Options
  • 25-10-2020 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am currently with IOL.ie email. I know black knight own same now but eventually they gonna either dump us or charge us big bucks!

Am looking at moving ALL my logins out of Iol and looking at options.

Also works like to move the family onto same. So is there something out there like john@masala.com and Mary@masala.com. Would prefer to have an .ie extension if possible ... but no biggie

Anyone recommend who to look at??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Masala wrote: »
    Hi. I am currently with IOL.ie email. I know black knight own same now but eventually they gonna either dump us or charge us big bucks!

Also works like to move the family onto same. So is there something out there like john@masala.com and Mary@masala.com. Would prefer to have an .ie extension if possible ... but no biggie

Ovh

Buy the domain, email is free. But only one account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Ovh

Buy the domain, email is free. But only one account

Many thanks... not sure how to start doing that though. Who do u recommend I look into in on same and pricing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Essentially you want to register a domain name (or. Masala.ie) and pay for email hosting .... You don't need domain name hosting unless you want to build a website too .
    Total cost prob €50 (maybe less) and monthly fee of probably a fiver.

You could also create your own server , register the domain name etc and have a computer hard drive constantly turned on, so you can access the server at any time from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Many thanks... not sure how to start doing that though. Who do u recommend I look into in on same and pricing etc.

Pick out domain and payfor it. Twill give you the option to set up the email after you've bought it

https://www.ovh.ie/domains/

I did run my own server for years but then I started moving house a lot, and I no longer had a static IP with a PTR record pointing back to my domain (seems to be essential if you don't want all your outgoing mail to end up in the spam receptacle)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Hi, as part of my degoogling I switched to Fastmail.com

The interface is better than gmail, it's a superfast webinterface but you can also use traditional email like Thunderbird and it has a phone app.

It also supports calendar and contacts and two-factor authorisation.

The help pages are one of the best I have seen of any company.
    You can import mail from gmail when you switch.

And you can buy a domain name somewhere and use your own domain name.

It's about 60 USD a year though.

Other options I hear good words about is Protonmail.
    And sometimes the domain name provider (domain registrarprovides cheap email options that might suit you)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I know it’s a Apple device oriented product, but I’ve had iCloud (previous known as MobileMe, previously known as .Mac, previously known as iTools) email since 2000.

It launched way back then as a pretty decent email service, based on IMAP and initially bundled with iDisk, probably one of the earliest cloud storage facilities, based on open WebDAV standards, so you could use it on Windows or Linux without any issue

As the ecosystem around Apple stuff grew, it became fairly baked in for other cloud services, but I genuinely have found it good.

Spam filtering is excellent. Security is strong. You can create and destroy aliases (with long standing delay to prevent abuse)

It’s a paid for product, rather than the creepy Google approach using your data, the web interface has varied in usefulness over the years, sometimes trying a bit too hard, but it’s good and they have stuck rigidity to IMAP standards, unlike Gmail which tends to break them or implement them weirdly. So I’ve never had an issue with it for outlook, Thunderbird, various android clients etc etc

Then it slickly integrates address books and all of that into Apple devices and has always delivered real-time push notifications on iOS, but that’s where you’re stuck...

I know Apple has gone from the plucky underdog in that period to evil megacorp tech giant, but it’s genuinely been a rock solid email service for all those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

protonmail.
    encrypted email, also can use your own domains etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

ProtonMail is excellent alright.

The only thing I would say is I use email less and less these days due to the growth of secure instant messaging.

It’s still useful, but not as core as it once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Microsoft Office 365 (€3.40 user/month) for basic plan
    Google Workspace (formally GSuite) €5 user/month (approx)
    Zoho - free personal domain mail accounts but limited to 5GB I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

440Hertz wrote: »
    ProtonMail is excellent alright.

The only thing I would say is I use email less and less these days due to the growth of secure instant messaging.

It’s still useful, but not as core as it once was.

True there are other types encrypted end to end messaging, but for personal private emails which will have some docs that you would prefer some algorithm not to see, it still very much has its place along with encrypted cloud solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Instant messaging hasn't a fraction of the functionality of email, especially when it comes to organising and nesting information. I even regret I moved away from a proper email client to gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

beauf wrote: »
    Instant messaging hasn't a fraction of the functionality of email, especially when it comes to organising and nesting information. I even regret I moved away from a proper email client to gmail.

You can use your gmail with outlook or whatever client you prefer, so it need not be a barrier to you in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Google GSuite allows you to use your own email domain. I managed to get this done once for free buy registering as a library. And I still can send email from my domain something.com for free using the hidden free tier of gsuite.

If you're not techically minded then Gsuite Basic is a reasonable offer.

Advertisement