Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women Detained, Stripped for Involuntary Medical Check at Doha Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Our country is known for letting the Church rape and beat Little kids for years and then try cover it up. A few strip searches is mild in the scheme of things

A lot of that is overblown and it doesn't happen anymore. Now Ireland is #3 in the world for civil liberties. Whereas the towel-heads in Saudi-land are still continuing the codology with much gusto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

That's what I'm asking.

How would countries in this neck of the woods do things?

Most likely an investigation based on CCTV, newborn DNA, witness testimonials, staff interviews. Reaching out to passengers on the manifest only as a result of the above.
    More likely for the mother to be a staff member anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Make an appeal with assurances of medical assistance and support.

If a father dumped an innocent baby on a piss soaked floor would you be as understanding?

If a man abdicated his responsibility and abandoned the mother would you offer support and understanding?

I await your reply.

That's what I'm asking.

How would countries in this neck of the woods do things?

There would be a public appeal for someone to come forward and if nobody does the child would go into the system, hopefully a nice crowd will adopt them or else they will bounce around from one foster family to another becoming a ferocious tear-away and troublemaker in the process

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

A lot of that is overblown and it doesn't happen anymore. Now Ireland is #3 in the world for civil liberties. Whereas the towel-heads in Saudi-land are still continuing the codology with much gusto.

Overblown?

Who gives a **** if it never happens anymore.

The state tried to cover up for the Church

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

. A female doctor checking who gave might have given birth doesn't seem that bad given the pretty extreme circumstances.

Really? Let me take a wild guess that you're not a woman.

How would you feel if you were taken off a plane and a male doctor carried out an internal exam on your undercarriage for a reason you weren't even told of?

Doesn't seem that bad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Towel-heads, that's disgusting

Overblown?

Cool. I agree. But that's not what this thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

How does one give birth in a public bathroom without any witness. Did she manage to do it completely silently? Seems unlikely. Noone noticed her entering or leaving? She was in labour, I'm amazed she pulled it off but even more amazed that noone noticed. Seems implausible. In all likelyhood there were screams embryonic fluid and blood and a visibly shattered woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That the airport security considered they had the authority to do what they did gives an insight into gender and power relationships in that part of the world.

Bizarre situation, and one that the security probably didn't have a set plan for, but an awful decision made in the heat of the moment. Surely at least one person would have realised it was going to be a scandal.

• Advertisement

Overblown?

They failed though and the practice came to an end. Things changed, talking about it now is only dwelling on the past. Whereas in Qatar bad things are still ongoing, a problem that still needs to be fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

If a father dumped an innocent baby on a piss soaked floor would you be as understanding?

If a man abdicated his responsibility and abandoned the mother would you offer support and understanding?

I await your reply.

So when these things happen here and this is the official response (appeals to a person who has just given birth and could be in need of urgent medical help, BTW) you don't agree with that approach?

So when these things happen here and this is the official response (appeals to a person who has just given birth and could be in need of urgent medical help, BTW) you don't agree with that approach?

If a man did it he'd be jailed.

The child should be adopted by a loving family, the mother should be jailed.

How does one give birth in a public bathroom without any witness. Did she manage to do it completely silently? Seems unlikely. Noone noticed her entering or leaving? She was in labour, I'm amazed she pulled it off but even more amazed that noone noticed. Seems implausible. In all likelyhood there were screams embryonic fluid and blood and a visibly shattered woman.

Have a look at our own recent past. Plenty of stories of young women giving birth in bathrooms, bedrooms and garden sheds while no one else in the house noticed. The other possibility is that someone, not necessarily the mother brought the poor child to the airport and left it there.

You know nothing about who gave birth to this baby or her circumstances. She could be a child herself. She could have beeen forced by someone to conceal her pregnancy and abandon her child. She could be in complete shock having delivered prematurely and unexpectedly. Yes, it could be a case of callous abandonement, but given the extreme and horrific reality of delivering a child alone, that wouldn't be the first conclusion I would make and the fact you can't see any circumstances where someone would do this under duress and distress says a lot about your opinion of women.

I've one name for you to look up: Ann Lovett. Would you have criminalised her had she survived?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Would it have been possibly to do a urine test to find who was pregnant.

I'm not sure but wouldn't it still show up positive. ?

Our country is known for letting the Church rape and beat Little kids for years and then try cover it up. A few strip searches is mild in the scheme of things

We've moved on now.... Their mums get free houses and the kids get scramblers & terrorise their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Are you a cleric affiliated with a middle Eastern religion?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Really? Let me take a wild guess that you're not a woman.

How would you feel if you were taken off a plane and a male doctor carried out an internal exam on your undercarriage for a reason you weren't even told of?

Doesn't seem that bad?

I said considering the extreme circumstances. Every way of handling it is bad. If you think the airport shouldn't look for the mother, that's fine. Every "solution" is gray and is pretty much as valid as the others.

• Advertisement

You know nothing about who gave birth to this baby or her circumstances. She could be a child herself. She could have beeen forced by someone to conceal her pregnancy and abandon her child. She could be in complete shock having delivered prematurely and unexpectedly. Yes, it could be a case of callous abandonement, but given the extreme and horrific reality of delivering a child alone, that wouldn't be the first conclusion I would make and the fact you can't see any circumstances where someone would do this under duress and distress says a lot about your opinion of women.

I've one name for you to look up: Ann Lovett. Would you have criminalised her had she survived?

No I would not criminalise her. She showed no Intention of abandonment and unfortunately passed away.

You keep ignoring my question.

Would you show similar compassion if a 16 year old boy abdicated his financial responsibility or took the kid and dumped him/her? As you said, he's just a kid himself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

It is fairly easy to avoid these ****holes if you choose to.

Ah come on,you fly to a destination and have a stopover, you don't have to like the stopover but if you are not leaving the transit area you would expect to be OK regardlessof how a country treats women.

This is absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Ugly situation with an abandoned new born. The alternative is "Women involuntarily imprisoned in Doha for three days while awaiting DNA test. Australian government raises concern."

I think people should post what they think the authorities should have done. A female doctor checking who gave might have given birth doesn't seem that bad given the pretty extreme circumstances.

When a woman is found murdered somewhere, do they arrest every single man who was vaguely in the vicinity? Or stop men from going out at night in case whoever it was does it again? Course they don't. Cos human rights and stuff.

Doesn't that apply to women too?

volchitsa wrote: »
    When a woman is found murdered somewhere, do they arrest every single man who was vaguely in the vicinity? Or stop men from going out at night in case whoever it was does it again? Course they don't. Cos human rights and stuff.

Doesn't that apply to women too?

What a bizarre sexist assumption that only men kill women.

If a woman was found raped in the terminal, I'd have no problem being checked for it. If that included a finger up my hole for some reason by a doctor, then yeah, whatever. It's Doha. It's a travel hub. Once the perpetrator is gone, he's gone forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

If a woman was found raped in the terminal, I'd have no problem being checked for it. If that included a finger up my hole for some reason by a doctor, then yeah, whatever. It's Doha. It's a travel hub. Once the perpetrator is gone, he's gone forever.

Haha, I nearly choked eating my dinner reading this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That's because statistically that's who kills women. (Men too,of course, but in that case the victim and perpetrator are both male so the distinction doesn't arise.)

But yeah, a woman found murdered somewhere, 95% of the time, the killer is a man.

And no, they don't lock up all men to keep women safe. If anything, they just tell women to stay inside.

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Incel In The Membrane

Why were the victims all Australian? Was the baby white and the authorities were like 'lets grab a bunch of white women and have them tested?"

volchitsa wrote: »
    That's because statistically that's who kills women. (Men too,of course, but in that case the victim and perpetrator are both male so the distinction doesn't arise.)

But yeah, a woman found murdered somewhere, 95% of the time, the killer is a man.

And no, they don't lock up all men to keep women safe. If anything, they just tell women to stay inside.

And 100% of the time a newborn premature baby is abandoned in a women's toilets, it's a woman. Failing to see your point.

Instead of taking offence at my posts as if I support this stuff, tell us what you'd have done if you were in charge of the situation with planes about to depart.

Why were the victims all Australian? Was the baby white and the authorities were like 'lets grab a bunch of white women and have them tested?"

I actually thought about that earlier. It seems likely.

• Advertisement

In Ireland the poor would be either buried in mass graves or dumped into septic tanks.

This has absolutely no possible link to the subject. What are you talking about?

Advertisement