Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women Detained, Stripped for Involuntary Medical Check at Doha Airport

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Incel In The Membrane

quokula wrote: »
    Strip searches happen routinely in airports all over the world including this country, for far lesser reasons than this. Let's not pretend this thread is anything to do with disagreeing with that policy or caring about the people in question, or the terrible situation of a baby being abandoned. It's just a straightforward dogwhistle thread. It'll be at 50 pages in no time.

'When something bad is done by muslims it shouldn't be discussed'.

Pathetic, really pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

No I would not criminalise her. She showed no Intention of abandonment and unfortunately passed away.

You keep ignoring my question.

Would you show similar compassion if a 16 year old boy abdicated his financial responsibility or took the kid and dumped him/her? As you said, he's just a kid himself.

He wouldn't have done this having just given birth, would he? It's not like passing wind. As for poor Ann, we have no idea what her intentions were, God love her and i doubt she knew herself . We do know she concealed her pregnancy and gave birth in the most secluded place she could find which resulted in her and her child's death. Was she criminally responsible for her son's death? ( I don't believe so, just to be clear) By your logic she abdicated responsibility by refusing medical attention. She was a terrified child who didn't know what to do and you don't know that the person who gave birth to this child isn't either. Hypothetical child kidnappers are neither here nor there but to answer your question, if a very young male took a baby and abandoned it out of fear of serious consequences, yes I would have sympathy for both him and the mother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

This has absolutely no possible link to the subject. What are you talking about?

The poster I replied to ask what would countries this side of the world do, going on Irelands past some in Far East night read up and see that's what we do

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I actually thought about that earlier. It seems likely.

BBC:
    The unidentified baby has been cared for since being found on 2 October.

The searches came to light when Australian women spoke out. Women from other countries were also examined.

All adult women on the Qatar Airways flight were required to disembark to be body-searched, two of the women told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).

The poster I replied to ask what would countries this side of the world do, going on Irelands past some in Far East night read up and see that's what we do

Yes, he asked what would this country do IN THIS CASE. Again your reply had absolutely nothing to do with the op, the thread or the question that was asked.

Babies sadly, do get found in toilets and not a single person has been subjected to the actions you stated.

It was a rather sad attempt at church bashing in a thread not remotely connected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If a man did it he'd be jailed.

The child should be adopted by a loving family, the mother should be jailed.

men tend not to be in need of medical attention after a birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They failed though and the practice came to an end. Things changed, talking about it now is only dwelling on the past. Whereas in Qatar bad things are still ongoing, a problem that still needs to be fixed

"Lest we forget".. and there are survivors still to be cared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I actually thought about that earlier. It seems likely.

Excellent point. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Ugly situation with an abandoned new born. The alternative is "Women involuntarily imprisoned in Doha for three days while awaiting DNA test. Australian government raises concern."

I think people should post what they think the authorities should have done. A female doctor checking who gave might have given birth doesn't seem that bad given the pretty extreme circumstances.
    They violated those women. It is bad.

mohawk wrote: »
    They violated those women. It is bad.

Yeah.

• Advertisement

Why were the victims all Australian? Was the baby white and the authorities were like 'lets grab a bunch of white women and have them tested?"

I’ve travelled through this airport a good few times. It’s huge and it’s a long walk from arrivals to the departure gates for the connecting flight. There’s thousands of travellers walking about, using numerous toilet areas. As it’s a long walk I’d usually find the first available loo which would probably be kilometres away from the departure gate I’m heading to. So how many people using one toilet area would then branch off towards the hundred or more different departure gates?

No idea why they’d single out the women on the Sydney flight. Was it only white women on the flight that were searched? It’s disturbing what was done to them and I’ll probably consider a stopover elsewhere because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If a man did it he'd be jailed.

The child should be adopted by a loving family, the mother should be jailed.

Quite possibly why the child was abandoned in the first place. If the woman had been raped, she would be jailed. If she wasn't married, she would be jailed. Sad to say that domestic workers being raped by employers in that part of the world is quite common and they have close to zero rights.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/apr/23/foreign-domestic-workers-qatar-abuse

Here is another case of a domestic worker who was raped by her employer giving birth on a plane and putting the baby in the bin.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/filipino-woman-says-she-is-mother-of-baby-left-on-plane-was-raped-by-employer-lawmaker-says

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

this woman should not have been searched for signs of an abortion

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 35 arex93

Just to explain how this medical check works: The doctor put two fingers inside the vagina and press the lower belly with the other hand to feel the cervix. It is not just show your vagina, it is an invasive medical check. Depending on the woman's health and the doctor's ability it can be very painful. Imagine being submitted without warning or consent in the middle of a trip! It is humiliating and it is violence! It doesn't matter if it was done by a woman, it's the least they could do! It does not reduce discomfort and humiliation for those women. Im surprised there are people who think that the authorities were reasonable for taking this measure.

And what could they do? Well, Ive read that the women were first examined and then interviewed. Why didn't they interview them all and leave the medical check for the most suspicious cases? It is an airport, they have everything on the records. What time the passengers checked in, if they are in connection, with whom they are traveling, the country of origin... They could eliminate several women by checking the records. But they are only women, right? Why all the effort? Let's just make them open their legs and put finger inside them.

And about the woman who abandoned the baby, I bet she is not a monster, she wanted the baby to be found quickly. Otherwise, she would not have chosen to abandon the baby in a toilet of a busy airport. She was probably desperate enough to commit this act.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Strange reading the comments here. Facebook keeps promoting me a page called Visit Dubai and you see a lot of "white" (anglos, americans etc) saying how the place is good and they wishing to go back there. If was by me they would never see a cent from me, with so many other interesting places in Europe that I still didn't had the opportunity to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Graces7 wrote: »
    Excellent point. Thank you.
    No it's not an excellent point. Women from up to ten flights were examined apparently. Plus at least one of the women taken off the Qantas flight was 60 and with white hair. So they weren't selecting "likely" candidates for having just given birth, it was just "all women".

Anyway, even if they had taken only women who could potentially have been the mother, putting your fingers inside a woman's vagina without her consent is a very serious assault. They could have asked for ID swabs, and used Interpol plus normal extradition law to bring the actual mother back if necessary later on.

But hey, it's only women, right? Who cares about their rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Lets do an invasive search of EVERY muslim woman leaving Australian airports and see how the muslims scream death threats to every Australian and probably stop buying Australian products.

Fecking neanderthals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It was a neanderthal process ..... an invasive bodily search of women from 10 different flights. I heard how the authorities in Qatar went about it this morning, and it must have been a harrowing and traumatic experience that these women endured. Not only was it an appalling act, but it was an assault; both a physical and sexual assault. If this incident is not dealt with appropriately, then Qatar should be boycotted ..... at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I remember working with clients from that part of the world, and they could barely look a woman in the eye during conference video calls. ****.
    It's time we returned the favour and boycotted them. Only for we need their petrol.....
    The nutjobs amongst them seem to be allowed to shout about supporting people who kill because they get "insulted", but we can't return the favour....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

From my experience, there seems to be a significant respect imbalance when it comes to interpersonal and business relations when it comes to certain types of Muslims and non Muslims. Its all one way. If some western officials performed these involuntary medical checks on a group of Muslim women there would be literal riots. Burning of flags and embassies and very possibly deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,933 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

old_aussie wrote: »
    Lets do an invasive search of EVERY muslim woman leaving Australian airports and see how the muslims scream death threats to every Australian and probably stop buying Australian products.

Fecking neanderthals

Seems rather spiteful tbh, you’re on your own there.

Is the next World Cup in Qatar still?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Seems rather spiteful tbh, you’re on your own there.
    That lot never care about inflicting harm on innocent people as long as they're the "wrong type" of, ahem, 'people'.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

How about there's no more talk of invasive searches on ANY women?

The racism in this thread is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It's a huge transit hub, the same as Abu Dhabi and Dubai for onwards travel to heaps of destinations in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America.

You can't ask for someone to have their head examined for travel through these countries.

While Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Yemen and Saudi Arabia are all in the same vicinity they are all at different stages of development. They all have different wealths and wealth in not an indicator of progression in that area of the world. Women were using the airport as a hub,it was not a destination.

I dont know it was a very distressing time for all involved and things needed to be moved with speed and some times when you move fast you break things.

Das Reich wrote: »
    Strange reading the comments here. Facebook keeps promoting me a page called Visit Dubai and you see a lot of "white" (anglos, americans etc) saying how the place is good and they wishing to go back there. If was by me they would never see a cent from me, with so many other interesting places in Europe that I still didn't had the opportunity to be.

Nobody in Dubai is going to say it is crap because you cant talk crap about Dubai in Dubai. Have a look at Loy Macedo to find out what really goes on in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

While Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Yemen and Saudi Arabia are all in the same vicinity they are all at different stages of development. They all have different wealths and wealth in not an indicator of progression in that area of the world. Women were using the airport as a hub,it was not a destination.

I dont know it was a very distressing time for all involved and things needed to be moved with speed and some times when you move fast you break things.
    Is that you, Mark Zuckerberg?
    Never mind any, shure it's only women

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Would you say the same thing if it had been your mother, sister, wife or girlfriend who had been forcibly penetrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭donegal_man

This was an appalling violation of the women's human rights and bodily integrity and whoever authorised it should should be at the very least dismissed from his post.
    However, the calls on here for all Muslim women in the west to be similarly assaulted are also appalling.

• Advertisement

Ugly situation with an abandoned new born. The alternative is "Women involuntarily imprisoned in Doha for three days while awaiting DNA test. Australian government raises concern."

I think people should post what they think the authorities should have done. A female doctor checking who gave might have given birth doesn't seem that bad given the pretty extreme circumstances.

Now that would cause a diplomatic incident and what if NONE of the women were the mother, good chance too.

Advertisement