Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Women Detained, Stripped for Involuntary Medical Check at Doha Airport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

That's what I'm asking.

How would countries in this neck of the woods do things?
    In Kerry they beat a confession out of an unrelated family then use the superfecundancy defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

kathleen37 wrote: »
    How about there's no more talk of invasive searches on ANY women?

The racism in this thread is shocking.

Are you suggesting that we forget it happened?
    Are you suggesting that women aren't treated a little better off than cattle in some countries?
    How do you suggest we brush this under the carpet and advise women that Qatar is a safe country to visit/destination hub going forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

In Kerry they beat a confession out of an unrelated family then use the superfecundancy defense.

Not to mention dragging a woman's private life through the mud at a public tribunal and openly discussing, amongst other things, the condition of her pubenda and how far dilated her cervix was upon examination. All reported in the press, covered on TV and widely discussed by every Tom, Dick, Harry and their wives up and down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Are you suggesting that innocent people should be punished for something they had no part in?

Are you suggesting that innocent people should be punished for something they had no part in?

Never said that but sometimes when you put it into perspective, that the possibly you mother might still have the afterbirth inside of her and could suffer toxic shock syndrome. Dont you think every effort should be made to save even an unrational person. Possibly 1000 women have to put up with two hours discomfort weighed against 2 innocent lives? I would have to go with the latter.

• Advertisement

Never said that but sometimes when you put it into perspective, that the possibly you mother might still have the afterbirth inside of her and could suffer toxic shock syndrome. Dont you think every effort should be made to save even an unrational person. Possibly 1000 women have to put up with two hours discomfort weighed against 2 innocent lives? I would have to go with the latter.

Are you male or female?

Are you male or female?

I identify as a pot roast. Does it make a difference?

If she had the placenta still inside her she would not be sitting calmly on a plane. It would be pretty obvious from her presentation she would need attention. What in the name of all things would justify examining obviously post menopausal women?

Why couldn't they have interviewed and assesed how the women presented. This wasn't about trying to help a distressed woman, this was about catching someone they deemed a criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Discomfort? It was a sexual assault!

How this has any affect on the baby's life is totally beyond me. By all accounts the baby is safe and being cared for. As for the mother, don't you think that it would be quite easy to ascertain if a woman is ill on the verge of death just by looking at them? If I've got toxic shock syndrome I'm sure I'm pretty easy to pick out of a line up of perfectly healthy women who haven't just given birth without having to digitally penetrate me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Are you suggesting that women aren't treated a little better off than cattle in some countries?
    How do you suggest we brush this under the carpet and advise women that Qatar is a safe country to visit/destination hub going forward?

Lets do an invasive search of EVERY muslim woman

That is a misogynistic statement. It's also racist.

Mistreatment of women, of anyone, needs to be addressed without resorting to misogyny or racism.

• Advertisement

I identify as a pot roast. Does it make a difference?

I’d just like to know whether your acceptance of this gross and forced invasion of a woman’s body comes from someone that has a fanny.

Do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Oh please, this whole 'concerned that the mother might need medical attention' argument, as parroted by the authorities there, and any time a similar occurance happens anywhere, but especially in this case smacks of 'we will hunt you down' paternalism. The thought is indeed valid, but the idea that 'care' must be 'offered' at any cost, in this case the cost of many unconected women's bodily and mental integrity, is gross over-reach (ick, no pun intended).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

All sounds rather barbaric, yet not that surprising in that part of the world.

It sounds exactly like how some people want to treat people coming into Europe?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    If she had the placenta still inside her she would not be sitting calmly on a plane. It would be pretty obvious from her presentation she would need attention. What in the name of all things would justify examining obviously post menopausal women?

Why couldn't they have interviewed and assesed how the women presented. This wasn't about trying to help a distressed woman, this was about catching someone they deemed a criminal.

Its not like officer in that country have been trained for that sort of thing? Some times speed is needed and deal with the consequences later. They are airport security officers not gynecologists. I am not saying it never happened in the history of the world but how do you suggest an untrained individual deal with a situation like that, because I would be damned if I knew in the same circumstances.....

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Never said that
    And yet you felt the need to question someone else about things they didn't say.
    but sometimes when you put it into perspective, that the possibly you mother might still have the afterbirth inside of her and could suffer toxic shock syndrome. Dont you think every effort should be made to save even an unrational person. Possibly 1000 women have to put up with two hours discomfort weighed against 2 innocent lives? I would have to go with the latter.
    Hang on a second, you don't have to do anything to those innocent women, so why are you presenting it that way? You'd literally be punishing innocent people for no other reason than to satisfy your petty desire for revenge. Those women didn't do anything to deserve that so why should they have to suffer?

Ah give over. Looking at you crooked would be sexual assault. It was done by a female doctor in private and not on the plane. Yeah it was crap situation but they were managing as best they could with thousands of people moving in and out of the airport.

I’m dumbfounded at this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ah give over. Looking at you crooked would be sexual assault. It was done by a female doctor in private and not on the plane. Yeah it was crap situation but they were managing as best they could with thousands of people moving in and out of the airport.

putting fingers inside a vagina without consent is sexual assault pretty much everywhere in the world.

I’m dumbfounded at this post.
    putting fingers inside a vagina without consent is sexual assault pretty much everywhere in the world.

Thank you.

I’d just like to know whether your acceptance of this gross and forced invasion of a woman’s body comes from someone that has a fanny.

Do you?

I have just checked Biology 5th edition Brooker Widmaier Graham Stiling 2019
    No mention of a "fanny". Going to check Principles of Anatomy and Physiology 8th edition.
    I will get back to you when I have a result.

I can't believe I had to post that.

• Advertisement

I don't care if it's a man or woman examining me, or a doctor for that matter, as long as they have training and I have consented.

Penetration by anyone without consent is sexual assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

This thread is pretty terrifying for all sorts of reasons.

I'm sickened at some of the views here and am now out.

Keep safe, everyone. Where ever you are.

You know, we ask women for their consent before we examine them. We don't check their records and think Oh, Sardonicat hasn't shown up for her smear, the next time she comes in for something completely unrelated I'll just perform one, whether she likes it or not, because it's for her own good'. Because that's sexual assault!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It was a humiliating sexual assault. Not "2 hours of discomfort". It was an extreme abuse of human rights. The only people who would go with the latter and do this to 1000 women really just dont care about women one bit. Nothing to do with perspective but how the Qatari authorities, and others, view women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Does anyone posting here that what happened was not big deal actually have any female relatives? If you do ask them whether they would be happy to submit to such an examination unless it were something they absolutely needed to endure as part of a valid medical examination.
    To put it in some sort of context how many of us would be prepared to submit to the equivalent of a prostate examination if a bag of heroin was discovered on the floor of a men's toilet?

Does anyone posting here that what happened was not big deal actually have any female relatives? If you do ask them whether they would be happy to submit to such an examination unless it were something they absolutely needed to endure as part of a valid medical examination.
    To put it in some sort of context how many of us would be prepared to submit to the equivalent of a prostate examination if a bag of heroin was discovered on the floor of a men's toilet?

Without any explanation as to why, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭volchitsa

kathleen37 wrote: »
    How about there's no more talk of invasive searches on ANY women?

The racism in this thread is shocking.

Racism and misogyny.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

I'd say their wailing and gnashing of teeth could be heard from miles around. it is not a pleasant experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭volchitsa

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It was a humiliating sexual assault. Not "2 hours of discomfort". It was an extreme abuse of human rights. The only people who would go with the latter and do this to 1000 women really just dont care about women one bit. Nothing to do with perspective but how the Qatari authorities, and others, view women.

Some posters on here, who are presumably not Qatari, are little better TBH. The idea that it's "just a bit of discomfort", or indeed that it shoudl be done in reprisal to all Muslim women leaving Australia shows the same mind set.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

If you are in "those" places, their country their rules. If you dont want to take a chance then stay at home. No its not impressive.

Advertisement