Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Park is being wrecked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I'll have to check out this Blackrock park when I finally get back to Dublin for a day. Sounds like a lovely place for a healthy cycle

The entire new coastal cycleway is fab, seriously give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭garrettod

karlitob wrote: »
    ...they should segregate both so cyclists can enjoy cycling and walkers waking and everyone can get along nicely.

Agree 100%

The DCC made a balls of it, along part of the S2S, on the Clontarf Road - with cyclists and pedestrians competiting for limited space at several bus stops - disaster, for all concerned.

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Truthvader wrote: »
    Cyclists routinely cycle into pedestrians because regardless of cycle lanes they cycle wherever it suits them. They then just cycle away. No reg plates so they do as they please
    Yeah. I hit about seventeen people yesterday. You'd think by now that people would be used to it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭garrettod

Cyclists routinely cycle into pedestrians because regardless of cycle lanes they cycle wherever it suits them. They then just cycle away. No reg plates so they do as they please

In the unfortunite event of a cyclist cycling into pedestrians, you'd be amazed at what can happen to the cyclist, if the pedestrian happens to be carrying an umbrella, or large walking stick.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Just say as a non cyclist, I'm in favour of anything i think will make our city a cleaner, healthier, all round more pleasant place to live and cycle lanes definitely have a part to play in that. It will take years for it to become embedded and attitudes to change, though, but i hope we get there. Small things but i also love the benches and tables dotted around the streets, just a simple little initiative that, added up, can make a big difference. Still wondering what has happened to the swans in the park, though. Why did they just up and disappear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

motorway-style ribbon of asphalt

I can only speculate that this road, which is what it is, is being built to facilitate cycle commuting instead of taking space for that purpose from the main road.
    Nice use of hysterical terminology, love the use of 'motorway'. Are you one of these bored residents committee, bree vandercamp, suburban types?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,045 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just say as a non cyclist, I'm in favour of anything i think will make our city a cleaner, healthier, all round more pleasant place to live and cycle lanes definitely have a part to play in that. It will take years for it to become embedded and attitudes to change, though, but i hope we get there. Small things but i also love the benches and tables dotted around the streets, just a simple little initiative that, added up, can make a big difference. Still wondering what has happened to the swans in the park, though. Why did they just up and disappear?

Probably all the pollution and noise from the cars drove em away.

That and the granny's would never leave em alone

Surprisingly most people dont want to cycle. Plus for many it is not an option. Older people, people with shopping, bringing tools to work, books and files etc etc. Cycling is a nice Summer fantasy for some but a grim backward miserable reality come Winter. Anyway keep on keeping on. I usually get banned for posting any contrary view. Remember me when covid is gone and everyone tries to get to work again
    Surprisingly driving remains legal.

Can't wait for the first lawsuit when speeding cyclist knocks over Grandmother on her daily stroll to feed the ducks . Going to be an even more ridiculously expensive cycle track.

Yes, this, the world's first cycle lane will be quite the fascinating test case. Move over OJ Simpson trial. Cant wait till the netflix doc comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Drivers routinely hit cyclists and kill them. Often they just drive off.

There was one case of a cyclists killed when he collided with a pedestrian walking on the cycle lane I. Phoneix park
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/cyclist-killed-in-phoenix-park-collision-was-loving-family-man-36386300.html

• Advertisement

Will be great when finished but that wall before blackrock stn needs to go. Or at least put a traffic light system either end of it to manage people getting through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We always used the park for walking - it’s a nice little route with small kids. Back in May we all got bikes and started cycling as well. It was really only then I saw how dangerous this shared path was for both cyclists and pedestrians.

This new path will make it much safer for everyone.

To the OP - if you were horrified by the path probably best not to read what they are putting beside the Toyota garage - it’s only a skate park!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Well we all seem to be agreed that valuable amenity space in the park is being sacrificed to facilitate cycle commuting.

No, I don’t agree, the path is being widened because of distancing requirements.

It doesn’t seem like you’ve ever actually set foot in Blackrock Park, but you do realise that the path has always been a shared pedestrian and bicycle path, right?

cgcsb wrote: »
    Yes, this, the world's first cycle lane will be quite the fascinating test case. Move over OJ Simpson trial. Cant wait till the netflix doc comes out.

"Making a MAMIL" "bikehunter" "don't f*** with ducks" or ohh my favourite "lycra king"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I cycle with my shopping. I also have books in my bag when I cycle to work in the cold and wet winter

I managed to get back to shopping on the bike and trailer today and then I saw this topic. Full weekly shopping ex Cornelscourt including 10kg bag of Roosters. The most encouraging aspect was that 3 different people in Dunnes asked me about the trailer when I was packing the shopping..

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I managed to get back to shopping on the bike and trailer today and then I saw this topic. Full weekly shopping ex Cornelscourt including 10kg bag of Roosters. The most encouraging aspect was that 3 different people in Dunnes asked me about the trailer when I was packing the shopping..

Some people on here are gonna see the picture and get uncontrollably angry that you did that despite having a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ted1 wrote: »
    “You need to calm down” Taylor swift.

Bikes don’t belong beside HGV, a pedestrian is 70kg , a bike and cyclists is 80kg, a car and one occupant is 1500kg.

The main question is have they finally slapt a CPO on the land by the dart station that path is far to narrow

I think it’s funny that you haven’t been there in months. Yet there’s daily users for which the current sat up does t work. You are owed no apologies

I really don't know what is going on there. The back garden of that house is huge so I really don't see what difference a couple of metres would make. I have asked DLR 2 or 3 times on their info email what is happening with that stretch and they never reply. They do reply to all other queries so maybe there is ongoing legal activity??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

Will there be traffic lights to assist pedestrian park users to cross the enlarged cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A park is generally designed not as a means of providing transportation but as a means of being an area for human enjoyment, recreation and relaxation.

Biking is also prohibited-

The 2002 bye-laws states:
    "No person shall cycle or use any skateboard, roller skates, roller blade's, or other vehicle in any park or open space except on such routes and in such places as may be designated by the Council for that purpose"

Obviously the likes of the Phoenix and others activity facilitate cycling but I’m aware of many facilities for cyclists that ensure their safety as best can be expected...

EhEE9A4XgAAfz7n.jpg

blackbox wrote: »
    Will there be traffic lights to assist pedestrian park users to cross the enlarged cycle lane?
    Really?

• Advertisement

Prohibited except such routed designed by the council for that purpose. So a cycle lane then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

blackbox wrote: »

There's a lot to be said for looking left and right before crossing a road or path.

Strumms wrote: »
    A park is generally designed not as a means of providing transportation but as a means of being an area for human enjoyment, recreation and relaxation.

"No person shall cycle or use any skateboard, roller skates, roller blade's, or other vehicle in any park or open space except on such routes and in such places as may be designated by the Council for that purpose"

Obviously the likes of the Phoenix and others activity facilitate cycling but I’m aware of many facilities for cyclists that ensure their safety as best can be expected...
    What's your source because mine (DLRCC) says it's ok...
    a. No person shall bring into the park, save with the permission of the Council, any bicycle, skateboard, roller-skates, roller blades or other vehicle except an invalid chair, carriage or a perambulator.
    b. No person shall cycle or use any skateboard, roller skates, roller blades, or other vehicle in the parks except on such routes and in such places as may be designated by the Council for this
    purpose, from time to time.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/parks_bye_laws.pdf

Beltby wrote: »
    There's a lot to be said for looking left and right before crossing a road or path.

If only they had some sort of easily memorable song to teach this to kids from a young age

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wait till you hear about the drivers that kill about 30-40 pedestrians each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I guess I’ll keep repeating it until the weird concern trolling stops — Blackrock Park has always had a shared use pedestrian/bicycle path. It’s not new. It’s just been widened.

You need to expect:

How dare you make a healthy, sustainable choice and shame me, I'm going to criticise and pick fault with some aspect of your lifestyle that might not be so healthy/sustainable to justify my own poor decision making, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I really don't know what is going on there. The back garden of that house is huge so I really don't see what difference a couple of metres would make. I have asked DLR 2 or 3 times on their info email what is happening with that stretch and they never reply. They do reply to all other queries so maybe there is ongoing legal activity??

I have heard that theirs some kind of tomb , shrine or burial plot of the family that used to usb it there. No idea of how true it is

ted1 wrote: »
    I have heard that theirs some kind of tomb , shrine or burial plot of the family that used to usb it there. No idea of how true it is

Move it. Nothing shall get in the way of our Marxist cyclist lefty agenda to destroy the car and kill all grannys who dare walk upon the pathways

No bourgeois grave shall stop us comrades

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »

EhEE9A4XgAAfz7n.jpg

Is that motorist driving down two lanes. One of which is a bus lane ?

Advertisement