Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Park is being wrecked

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's just courtesy! I don't mean this in an angry way at all but you need to stop thinking about it in terms of what you think it will do for you — what if the person you're passing is extra anxious, or they have a condition which puts them in more danger from Covid, or whatever. Give people space, let them give others space.

I would agree with you that Covid should not have been used as a reason to make these changes to infrastructure, but where I differ is I think we should have been acting with the same courtesies pre-Covid too. So many people just walk, drive, or cycle around the world completely oblivious to the existence of other people with different needs.

we probably arent going to agree, id argue anyone who is extra anxious has been made that way by the messaging from nphet and the lack of clarity around what is an unsafe situation and what isnt. It doesnt really matter if they are higher risk because their chances of catching in that scenario is so low but we are where are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

breezy1985 wrote: »
    People would just see 2 paths
    Yes, and this will happen whether the seperation is done via a barrier or by having two paths with miles of grass between :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,046 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yes, and this will happen whether the seperation is done via a barrier or by having two paths with miles of grass between :(

I've had people shout at me for cycling on a cycle path telling me I shouldn't cycle there while they were standing on the bike picture on the ground.

I haven't seen it much here but London is awful for joggers jumping on to the cycle lanes on the roads with their back to traffic because they don't want to break stride on the busy paths

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I've had people shout at me for cycling on a cycle path telling me I shouldn't cycle there while they were standing on the bike picture on the ground.

I haven't seen it much here but London is awful for joggers jumping on to the cycle lanes on the roads with their back to traffic because they don't want to break stride on the busy paths

Oh that happens a lot here too, most of them not even checking behind them before they do.

Oh that happens a lot here too, most of them not even checking behind them before they do.

I don't mind them jogging round people but just like with country roads never have your back to traffic if you are walking/running on a road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

:pac::pac::pac:
    I gave up trying to go through any of these parks as an alternative to nearby roads, and if I do venture in occasionally, usually spend half the time detouring over the grass to pass people. People on wrong side, in middle, many abreast across path, with dogs on extended leads across part etc etc.
    I've encountered a bit of that. And also COVID-unrelated choice of joggers to run in cycle lanes on/by roads, often again with their back to cyclists, maybe with headphones...also walkers, some with dogs, headphones, many-abreast in same off-road cycle lanes etc etc rant rant :p

Were are apparently wrong to be on the roads, actually wrong to be on the paths and to some I have encountered we are even wrong to be on the cycle lanes

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't mind them jogging round people but just like with country roads never have your back to traffic if you are walking/running on a road
    The amount of people walking on rural roads that don't even know that you walk towards traffic!

Were are apparently wrong to be on the roads, actually wrong to be on the paths and to some I have encountered we are even wrong to be on the cycle lanes

seems like joggers can do no right either :pac:

The amount of people walking on rural roads that don't even know that you walk towards traffic!

This is true even in cities — there's a reason you should walk on the left of any footpath, because that ensures that the correct side is always facing traffic.

Obviously this is reversed in countries with right-hand driving, which I honestly think goes someway to explaining why footpath etiquette is so broken in Ireland. Immigrants and their mirrored footpath ways! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Today (Sunday 25th Oct) I walked through Blackrock Park for the first time in a few months. I was shocked to see that a motorway-style ribbon of asphalt is being driven through what was until now a lovely park with a good proportionate use of limited space.

There is already a perfectly adequate path through the park with space for pedestrians and cyclists. There is no need whatever, in terms of the park itself, for that path to be widened.

I can only speculate that this road, which is what it is, is being built to facilitate cycle commuting instead of taking space for that purpose from the main road.

Whether or not that explanation is the correct one, there is no doubt that the park is being visually wrecked. Shame on DLR council for yet another example of its famously bad environmental planning.

Same in Bushy Park

Cyrus wrote: »

I did just say I have no problems with them running on a road but just don't jump into traffic with your back to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

No they do and the laws currently exist to pull them but sadly like with all road law there never seems to be anyone round to enforce it.

The idea that it is only a certain type of "tight wearing" cyclist that does this is stupid though.

Have you NEVER in your life seen a car/van/truck/motorbike break a red or a very red shade of orange traffic light ?????

Have you NEVER in your life seen a car/van/truck/motorbike break a red or a very red shade of orange traffic light ?????

I think you misread that post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

This is true even in cities — there's a reason you should walk on the left of any footpath, because that ensures that the correct side is always facing traffic.

Obviously this is reversed in countries with right-hand driving, which I honestly think goes someway to explaining why footpath etiquette is so broken in Ireland. Immigrants and their mirrored footpath ways! :pac:

100% agree, walk left/pass right should always be the rule. Oh and runners are not lepers, there is no need to give them a 10 yard wide berth when you see one running towards you or as one lady did as I was running towards her pulled up the facemask that was under her chin and immediately pulled it down again when I had passed, again we are not lepers........do they think that people would be out running if they had any Covid symptoms ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

full weeks shopping?? how many runs :p

Just 1.. Although I cant close over the cover of the box when it is full of shopping. I probably need to source some kind of rain proof cover (like a ruck sack cover maybe) for wet days although I have got away with it so far..

100% agree, walk left/pass right should always be the rule. Oh and runners are not lepers, there is no need to give them a 10 yard wide berth when you see one running towards you or as one lady did as I was running towards her pulled up the facemask that was under her chin and immediately pulled it down again when I had passed, again we are not lepers........do they think that people would be out running if they had any Covid symptoms ??

exactly this nonsense has to stop, im sure that lady would have liked you to jump out onto the road instead of pass within 10 feet of her :rolleyes:

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Just 1.. Although I cant close over the cover of the box when it is full of shopping. I probably need to source some kind of rain proof cover (like a ruck sack cover maybe) for wet days although I have got away with it so far..

fair play to you, that box looks similar to the ones tesco deliver our groceries in and we get about 5 of them

fair play to you, that box looks similar to the ones tesco deliver our groceries in and we get about 5 of them

Same size length and width but much higher. Tesco are probably fussier about their packing than I am..

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

I'm amazed someone can find a negative in this, shouldn't be surprised really but I am. Segregating cyclists and pedestrians is good for both parties and the cycle lane should take cyclists off the road for this stretch, which will benefit busses and cars.

The park has tonnes of space if u want to sunbath or whatever, although with this weather you won't be doing much of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

spurious wrote: »
    Those sort of groups are great, but what happens when the Eddy Merckxx wannabees in their tights start flying at speed through your lovely group and any grannies and children they come across?

There are a couple of the aforementioned tight wearers that regularly fly through not only a red light, but also a lollipop person as the children at the end of my road try to cross to school. It's THOSE f*ckers that drivers have an issue with, not normal cyclists, with or without shopping trailers.

Wait till you hear about drivers Lewis Hamilton wannabees in fire retardant suits, spurious. It's not cyclists that kill 30-40 pedestrians each year.

So when drivers start showing a proportionate degree of concern and anger about the 98% of drivers that break urban speed limits, the majority of drivers that use their phones while driving, the 88% of red light jumping in Dubin that's done by drivers, that's when I'll start taking their concerns about dangerous cyclists seriously.

That's becoming more and more frequent on the Grand Canal cycle track, sometimes a pair of them jogging two abreast - so arrogant, so they are.

Some of them even wear the dreaded lycra.

Actually the Belgian's done a study into this and jogging does increase a persons area of germ spread. Cycling too so we should not be drafting each other when training at the moment

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

If you are talking about the pathway between the DART Station and the park itself, I think it is far too narrow for the purpose it serves (albeit for pedestrians and cyclists). It may have something to do with the following plan:

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/blackrock_park_masterplan_2020_final.pdf

If you are talking about the pathway between the DART Station and the park itself, I think it is far too narrow for the purpose it serves (albeit for pedestrians and cyclists). It may have something to do with the following plan:

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/blackrock_park_masterplan_2020_final.pdf

Yes no 9 seems to cover it (expand the existing laneway). They don't ever say how. I may have read it on this thread or somewhere else but a burial ground was mentioned as being on the other side of that wall in the garden. No idea if that is true or not..

Advertisement