Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage overpayment vs maximise Pension AVCs

• 26-10-2020 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

October, the time of the year where I can put a lump sum in as an AVC to my pension. I'm currently overpaying my mortgage by approx 30% at the moment.

Is it better to max out my Pension AVCs or overpay more on the mortgage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woodman78

Naos wrote: »
    October, the time of the year where I can put a lump sum in as an AVC to my pension. I'm currently overpaying my mortgage by approx 30% at the moment.

Is it better to max out my Pension AVCs or overpay more on the mortgage?

Can I ask who your mortgage is with and how you are overpaying? My experience is that UB only accept one payment per month and so if I want to split it then the second one has to be a manual payment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Assuming that the mortgage saving will be less than 5% and the tax relief on the avc c.40% I think the answer is fairly simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭KingCong

Depends on your overall financial position, need more info. Normally putting it into the pension would make more sense but if your mortgage is high relative to your income then it may make more sense to focus on overpaying the mortgage until its down to a more comfortable level, while of course always contributing whatever minimum is required to the pension to get the employer's contribution (if there is one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You'd need to run the calculations for your situation.

Depends on where you are in your mortgage, what your rate is. What your tax band is and how much the AVC payment is (tax saving on AVC)

There are mortgage overpayment calculators available, these will tell you what the lifetime saving on the mortgage is, if you input the figures.

Also depends on your level of risk acceptance. You stand to lose your pension investment, paying down debt faster is less risky.

Advertisement