Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Student paramedic recruitment process

Options
  • 26-10-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am hoping that someone can answer these questions or provide some insight/advice!

1 - has anyone heard of or know when the next recruitment drive will take place? I'm hoping for 2021!

2 - what is the average duration from application close date to starting the course?

3 - what is the average applicant age? I'm 43 and have a family.... Am I crazy to be even considering this!!

4 - does anyone have a syllabus for the course duration?

So many questions!! Hopefully someone can help or provide some insight or advice!

Thanks 😀

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 donottroll

1. You never know until it's announced. Keep on eye on the NAS social media pages, and the HSE website job section.
    But, it was announced that they're going to be recruiting additional staff and opening a third college very soon. So you probably won't have to wait long to apply.
    Usually they do two intakes a year but may increase that.

2. Anywhere from a few months to a couple of years depending on where you place on the panel. The application to interview process generally takes a month or two. Then you get placed on the panel and have to wait your turn to be called. The lower you are on the panel the sooner you will be called. If you score well you might be called within a few months to start.

3. There's people of all ages on the courses. Generally it's people in their 20's-30's with a fair amount of people in their 40's too. A lot of ex tradesmen, people from the private ambulance and healthcare industry, and all sorts.
    You're not crazy, but bear in mind there will be a degree of commitment, strict college life, placements, night shifts, and all sorts.

4. The course is a 3 year degree program. The first 3-4 months (i think) are full time in the college. With a week or two on the road as observer, then you'll be back in the college for a few weeks with exams etc.

Then you'll have hospital placements, ambulance placements, back to the college, before finally being put on your internship and working on the ambulance full time with distant learning and occasionally returning to the college for exams etc.

I don't have the exact framework but that's a rough idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JBB2020

Thank you so much @donottroll for your response!! It was extremely informative! I am keeping an eye out for the recruitment notice so hopefully it won't be too long!

I missed the last recruitment due to the lack of c1 licence but I have that now. Would never have considered this as a career until I became a Community First Responder.

All I can do is try for it and see what happens!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fiatlegend

Does anyone have any idea when the next 2021 recruitment is due or if there is even going to be one ? Heard from multiple paramedics a 2nd one is due, just curious as the waiting is getting frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shau_98

They only did one in December/January gone. I would say another one is due around the same time but obviously no one will really know the exact date.

There is three classes starting in September and another three probably in January.

Advertisement