Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cables in wall for TV

• 26-10-2020 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all,

So planning on mounting a flat screen TV on a wall.

The wall is one layer of plaster board with about 15 mm gap and then block wall.

There is no power socket up where the TV will be going. The plan is to put a hole in the wall up at the TV and run whatever cables I need down to low level and out again.

So the questions I have are:
    1. Will it be difficult to provide a conduit given the space available?
    2. Anyone know the name of the little socket boxes that I can fix to the wall to allow the cables to pass through?

Thanks all.

D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yes it will probably hard to get some conduit into the wall there, although with that gap it should be possible to fish cables down behind the board to a lower level where they can come out.

You can buy a brushed socket plate to allow the wires to exit the wall neatly at the lower level. You might get lucky and be able to fish town the HDMI cable etc... if you get some mini trunking you can use the lid to fish the wires up/down.

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/networking-faceplates-outlets/8781091?cm_mmc=IE-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_IE_EN_Fuses_%26_Sockets_%26_Circuit_Breakers_Whoop_HI-_-(IE:Whoop!)+Networking+Faceplates+%26+Outlets-_-8781091&matchtype=&pla-437913100013&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3snPwK_S7AIVCLLtCh2xQQ3zEAQYASABEgK6H_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You want a dry lining patress box something like this top and bottom https://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Lining-Back-Pattress-35mm/dp/B00O7UV4V8/ then you have something to fit the socket plate too (see above)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Can you run the cable from above the ceiling down between the brick wall and plaster board if yes then 15mm gap will be enough. I have a feature wall made of mdf that's sitting on 15mm battens and number of different cables going behind it from tv to multiple devices and power outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Hi all,

Yes that brushed socket plate was what I was trying to find. Didn't know the regional terminology - kept getting US sites.

Will see if I can manage with trunking. Would be handy though for future wires.

Thanks for the advice.

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

I recommend fitting a C13 power cable which is the official name for a kettle plug cable,

You can then purchase a C13 to figure 8 adapter "as saw below" to cater for all brands of television present and future you will then have both power supplies.

pn3ZqE2xj

As said; plasterboard box and cut a section out of it to allow for cables followed by fitting a brush plate,

poB4Op00j

pmLKwFzsj

pnEBYlpej

Amazon is the go to place for all hdmi and power cables aswell as Cat7 or now Cat8 is also available.

pnARoqX8j

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Wolftown

I mounted a TV last week and ran cabling through the wall. I had a larger cavity between the plasterboard and blockwork so was easier to feed through.

Not enough posts to link, but if you search Single Width Entry/Exit Brush Wallplate Cable on Amazon, I used these for entry/exit. I also needed to extend the power cable for the TV so that might be worth checking before taking on the job. Also had to order longer HDMI cables, ethernet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Cheers,

Yes I need a longer power cable. Will be ordering one from Amazon, cutting the plug off and re-fitting another one.

Will post some pics when done.

Advertisement