Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encouraging moss

Options
  • 26-10-2020 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any advice on how to encourage the spread of moss in a grassy area. I hate 'lawns' and the power tools necessary to maintain them and would love a nice self-maintaining green area of soft moss.
    I believe that a lot of water is necessary and that might be counter-productive.

In the USA front 'gardens' are often seeded with no maintenance green stuff but I'm not sure what it is or how to get it started.

Comments

My front lawn is like this, dense thatch of lawn moss, Rhytidiadelphus. It gets little enough sun, and rainfall is as you would expect. Low maintenance, a few cuts a year with removal of cuttings, never any fertilisers, no raking. The relative shade is probably the single most important thing, but fairly low nutrient soil helps. I got a few Marsh Orchids the last few years too, they self seeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

That's very encouraging. Thank you.
    I presume the 'few cuts a year' are to remove grass.

Advertisement