Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BT Home Hub 5 OpenWRT - can't set up DSL

• 26-10-2020 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I have a BT Home Hub 5 with OpenWRT installed and I'm trying to set up Vodafone VDSL broadband on it with no success so far. I can see DSL line is 'up' in the Status Overview tab. I set up the interface using 'dsl0' as PPPoE. Put in my login @vodafone.ie and also tried @vfiefttc.ie. No matter what config I use, it keeps coming back with connection failed. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to also set up VLAN?

I am attaching screenshots from the other revelant tabs:

ibb.co/42943x7
    ibb.co/ZhLCGBG
    ibb.co/wpWXVS6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Without VID 10 tags on the WAN no traffic can flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 xpertdub1

Ok, I managed to get it going by setting VLAN ID to 10.

Now the problem is that no matter what DSL settings I use the line speed is only 17Mbs and not 70Mbs like it should be

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

xpertdub1 wrote: »
    Ok, I managed to get it going by setting VLAN ID to 10.

Now the problem is that no matter what DSL settings I use the line speed is only 17Mbs and not 70Mbs like it should be

Any ideas?

Sounds like it’s trying to connect to ADSL.

Correct profile is VDSL2 with 17a vectoring.

440Hertz wrote: »
    Sounds like it’s trying to connect to ADSL.

Correct profile is VDSL2 with 17a vectoring.

Yes, that's what it looks like however I have the correct details: VDSL2 and 17a showing in the Status tab

Its VDSL, your stats are trash though. Also is yours a TypeA or TypeB?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Its VDSL, your stats are trash though. Also is yours a TypeA or TypeB?

You mean the box type? It's Home Hub 5A.

Changing the Annex doesn't seem to make any difference

My Archer VR2600 shows line correctly as 70Mbs/20Mbs

Full specs for open Eir:

https://www.openeir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/NGA-Technical-Handbook-V22_0-Marked-220120.pdf

Be careful, as you could screw up other customers’ services by using wrong tone sets and causing crosstalk on lines within the same binder.

They’re fairly fussy about modem specs.

See page 58

My Archer VR2600 shows line correctly as 70Mbs/20Mbs

Most probably the archer is vectoring and the BT/OpenWRT isnt. Keep the archer perhaps?

I set the Annex and Tone as per that openeir doc. It made no difference.
    I am setting this up for a neighbour. I plugged it in at his house with the same result. He currently uses a Vodafone HG659, but needs something with openVPN and doesn't want to flash software on it. Would the solution be to use the HG659 as a modem only, connect to HH5 with openvpn set up on it? Is that possible?

Well, given the Archer is working fine, there's something wrong with your BT box's spec or configuration. It's not the network.

Please be a bit considerate for your neighbours too and unplug it as it's clearly not playing well with the DSLAM and hasn't recognised the vectoring environment.

Vectoring works by actively managing crosstalk between the pairs in a particular binder (bundle) and the copper network's managed a bit like the way you'd manage a radio spectrum space, as otherwise you can get crosstalk. They're only unshielded twisted pairs, so if it's not managed you lose speed across other pairs.

If you've a device that isn't playing ball with the DSLAM, it can cause crosstalk and it's not fair on other users if it's risking being noisy on the network. That's why they've been so proscriptive about modems and approvals and don't generally allow bring your own CPE.

It's possible it's not doing any harm, but given we don't seem to be able to work out why it's not vectoring, there's something up with the spec.

If you want to use a different WiFi setup, you're better off bridging the ISP modem/gateway device and using your own WiFi router.

• Advertisement

I set the Annex and Tone as per that openeir doc. It made no difference.
    I am setting this up for a neighbour. I plugged it in at his house with the same result. He currently uses a Vodafone HG659, but needs something with openVPN and doesn't want to flash software on it. Would the solution be to use the HG659 as a modem only, connect to HH5 with openvpn set up on it? Is that possible?

I'd be far more inclined to setup an RPi running as an OpenVPN host. Leave the 659. KISS.

Thank you both for your help

Advertisement