Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Shooting incident in Kanturk, Co. Cork (Mod note in op)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Yep that's exactly how i read it. Easier to think that one of the 3 lost the plot rather than 2 being in some murder suicide pact.

lost the plot hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Logically a murder where you plan to get away with it makes some kind of sense but committing a murder where you have no chance of getting away with it makes no sense at all imo. You are literally self sabotaging as you will either spend the rest of your life locked up or as in this case lose your own life too. Hard to understand it.
    ETA, I can only surmise that the there and then situation is simply and utterly unbearable to the person committing the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Mellor wrote: »
    My spilling blood, I was refer to the murder in this situation.
    You can't possibly suggest that a person of could mind could react like that.

Agree

What have chances got to do with anything? You claim it was caused by having a firearm. The fact that, if a firearm was not there, a knife could have been used, proves that claim is nonsense. Blaming firearms for these tragedies is silly.

Guns are licensed for many legal purposed. Legally owned firearms count for very few deaths and injurys. A fraction of knives are linked to.

Cars are also dangerous. We regulate and control who can use them. Dispite that, accidents happen.

Far from being silly, blaming firearms for three men getting shot is completely logical. Trying to claim firearms had nothing to do with this situation is the nonsensical position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

You speculated about a possible reason for the origins of this situation and then you made a further speculation about the shooting incident itself. Neither of these things were in any media reports that I have read. If you wish to discuss this further do so via PM only. Thanks

The sexual tension between moderators and the power trips they go on.

Everything I wrote was in today’s national papers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

KiKi III don't post in this thread again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why cant people just make their own money and stop expecting everything to be given to them, it disgusts me to be honest. i would have absolutely no problem if my parents sold the house and blew all the money in vegas, it is theirs to do what they want with.

KiKi III wrote: »
    The sexual tension between moderators and the power trips they go on.

Everything I wrote was in today’s national papers.

Crass Class personified. Projecting and idle speculation are easy bedfellows.

Ultimately, it's a terrible tragedy over a family disagreement that spiralled out of hand. The retrospective "coulda woulda shoulda" knives versus firearms narrative is silly to the point of being childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why cant people just make their own money and stop expecting everything to be given to them, it disgusts me to be honest. i would have absolutely no problem if my parents sold the house and blew all the money in vegas, it is theirs to do what they want with.

When a farm is involved, it's rarely just about the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Crass Class personified. Projecting and idle speculation are easy bedfellows.

Ultimately, it's a terrible tragedy over a family disagreement that spiralled out of hand. The retrospective "coulda woulda shoulda" knives versus firearms narrative is silly to the point of being childish.

Speculation is what keeps boards alive and interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

onrail wrote: »

Correct it is often about history & keeping the farm in the family. Often a farm has been in the same family for generations. Disputes often arise when there is a sniff that the farm may go out of the family ( through sale or marraige ). Often there is alot more to it than money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I suppose it's a bit different though if they gave all they had to your only sibling and nothing to you. I think most people would be hurt at the very least, unless of course there was an obvious reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

KiKi III wrote: »
    Far from being silly, blaming firearms for three men getting shot is completely logical. Trying to claim firearms had nothing to do with this situation is the nonsensical position.

It's non logical at all. Firearms can't posses people. Saying there would be no issues here without firearms is idiotic.
    Nobody said firearms had nothing to do with it. They were the murder weapon, they are related to the case. Just like all the other details realted to the case.

You seem to be struggle to separate correlation and causation. It's a common problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

onrail wrote: »

If the farm is just non working asset..it very much is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I suppose it's a bit different though if they gave all they had to your only sibling and nothing to you. I think most people would be hurt at the very least, unless of course there was an obvious reason.

You'd think that greviances anyone has would be directed at the person who would be gifting the inheritance more so than at the person receiving the inheritance and wouldn't think coercion would be used because of ages

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Every farm on the country would have a firearm or two, this has been standard practice for years and years,
    and after the Padraig Nally case, who would blame them.
    If there was no guns, something else would have been used by the sounds of it so i wouldn't put any blame on that.
    Just an awful, awful tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

lalababa wrote: »
    <Snip>

you're some ****ing Ballbag

<Snip>

I wouldn't make light of it, considering there are three dead people involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Unfortunately, regardless of guns, there's no end of weapons at your hand on a farm. Crowbars, shovels, forks, calving jack heads, hurls etc. And indeed in any household, urban and rural, there's usually some object nearby that can be used for GBH when someone loses their temper.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭NaDeise92

<Snip>

Awful thing to post.
    Keep your pointless & ridiculous thoughts to yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can't comment on what here.

However is this the type of environment you were raised in?

I've seen siblings fight over who gets what and it was all caused by the parents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

lalababa do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Three firearms is pretty heavy artillery for a small farm. One alone ought to be sufficient for scaring crows or whatever. You would have to question the licencing system in this particular instance. Only one member of a particular household ought to be permitted to acquire and use a deadly weapon. Who knows, if this were the law, those three deceased men may be still alive today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

chicorytip wrote: »
    Three firearms is pretty heavy artillery for a small farm. One alone ought to be sufficient for scaring crows or whatever. You would have to question the licencing system in this particular instance. Only one member of a particular household ought to be permitted to acquire and use a deadly weapon. Who knows, if this were the law, those three deceased men may be still alive today.

In this case were they even farming the farm?
    From my understanding it was rented out and he worked as a mechanic.

Oh FFS. Two .22 calibre rifles and a shotgun, for 4 adults in a rural setting is perfectly normal in many parts of the country.

If you think the licensing laws are so lax I suggest you try applying for a license.

"Artillery". Cop yourself on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

One could reasonably claim at least two for a farm. Shotgun for birds and the like, and a rifle for pest control. Third if they had a shooting hobby like target shooting or hunting. People seem to keep forgetting that firearms are special purpose tools. Few are capable of multiple roles, the ones that are (such as AR-15s) tend to be vilified.

I am always bemused by people commenting on 'number of guns owned'. I've been using the things for decades, professionally, and even today I can only use one at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

It really looks like the mam and Mark were on one side, the dad and Diarmuid on the other.

I know I'm speculating but the Mam's ill health resulted in the will.

Like most things of this nature probably brewing for a while and some locals aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

Horrific story. It wouldn’t do you good reading that Irish Times article. :(
    God help that poor woman. And the Gardai and other emergency services that were involved, they won’t forget that call out yesterday for a long long time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Nonsense.
    Almost every farmer who owns a gun, has a shotgun.
    It is illegal to use anything else on birds ( grey crows, magpies etc).
    If he competes in clay pigeon competitions, a different type of shotgun is often required.

For fox's etc, a rifle is normal, and, and usually people start out with a .22 rimfire, and graduate to a ..223.
    Nothing g unusual in having 3 guns on a farm.
    I have 3, and my daughter has 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There's no easy solution with land and inheritance, and despite what people say it's not a uniquely Irish thing. Dividing things equally is even a problem when the land itself is a going concern. Primogeniture didn't come into being for no reason.

• Advertisement

OK I see we're getting clever about speculation

It's now being dressed up as "I read in the papers..." with no link provided, or "I'm not speculating but..." then a very oddly specific hypothetical example is given

Let me be clear - any more speculating and this thread will be closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement