Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Shooting incident in Kanturk, Co. Cork (Mod note in op)

15678911»

Comments

the coverage in the times makes zero sense anyway.

i dont see the word 'murder' used, we've an awful aversion to it when families kill each other in this country and between that, the land and the "hush" crew demanding nobody in the country discuss a triple murder then its a frustrating state of affairs to view the country from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i dont see the word 'murder' used, we've an awful aversion to it when families kill each other in this country and between that, the land and the "hush" crew demanding nobody in the country discuss a triple murder then its a frustrating state of affairs to view the country from

They stated murder suicide multiple times.... ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yesterday afternoon my aunt who lives down the road rang us and told us almost exactly what was written in The Irish Times article. She knew about the mother, fathers job, amount of land, what the lads did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

The more details emerge the less sense it all makes. I’d bet that poor woman would give away that land in the morning if she could rewind the last few hours and get her family back. Nothing is worth this, absolutely nothing, and to leave her so ill and bereft seems an added twist of cruelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Nonsense.
    Almost every farmer who owns a gun, has a shotgun.
    It is illegal to use anything else on birds ( grey crows, magpies etc).
    If he competes in clay pigeon competitions, a different type of shotgun is often required.

For fox's etc, a rifle is normal, and, and usually people start out with a .22 rimfire, and graduate to a ..223.
    Nothing g unusual in having 3 guns on a farm.
    I have 3, and my daughter has 1

And if you're shooting foxes a .22LR is very underpowered, I'd consider it inhumane, but something much bigger might obliterate a rabbit, so it wouldn't be abnormal to have more than one rifle in a house in rural Ireland alongside a shotgun or two.

Our current laws have differing security requirements for one gun, up to three guns and more than three guns. That's before restricted firearms are taken into account.
    And because those responsible for writing the legislation are fcukwits of the highest order what qualifies as restricted doesn't necessarily match up with what is of greater threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I remember trying to explain the concept of inheiritance tax to a friend when we were in our late 20s. He genuinely thought I was making it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

karlitob wrote: »
    Nor do city slickers have the generous tax relief on capital acquisitions that farmers do. Sure a couple of courses here and there and you can avoid the taxman. Wish I had that.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/cat-reliefs/agricultural-relief/what-are-the-conditions-for-agricultural-relief.aspx

Not sure what your point is on this. Farming is a business.

There are also reliefs available for families who have businesses (whether in the city or country or whatever) whereby the parent will pay no CGT for passing the company to a child and the child will have relief on 90% of the business assets from a CAT perspective (the same benefit for ag relief you are referring to above).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Heaven help their mother.

How you carry on with life after something like that is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Oh FFS. Two .22 calibre rifles and a shotgun, for 4 adults in a rural setting is perfectly normal in many parts of the country.

If you think the licensing laws are so lax I suggest you try applying for a license.

"Artillery". Cop yourself on.
    The point is that three firearms were discovered at the scene. None of the deceased were professional farmers. That is an abnormal scenario, no matter what you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,437 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

chicorytip wrote: »
    The point is that three firearms were discovered at the scene. None of the deceased were professional farmers. That is an abnormal scenario, no matter what you say.

It's really not, many firearms owners have multiple firearms and aren't farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

What would a "professional farmer" want a gun for above anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Shooting things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well I suppose if they had issues with rabbits, foxes, crows, stray dogs, etc on their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Well I suppose if they had issues with rabbits, foxes, crows, stray dogs, etc on their land.

I grew up on a farm, no farmer I knew owned a gun. Stray dogs - I hope that is a joke.

chicorytip wrote: »

My father lives on a half an acre of land and has never farmed but has a shotgun and used to be secretary of the local Gun club.

I used to be a member of the club and there was a varied assortment of members from farmers to white collar workers. Even the parish priest was a member.

To quote the movie Hot Fuzz:

Andy: "This is the countryside, everyone and their mum is packing here"
    Sgt Angel: Like Who?
    Andy: Farmers
    Sgt Angel: Who else?
    Andy 2: Farmers mums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I grew up on a farm, no farmer I knew owned a gun. Stray dogs - I hope that is a joke.

I spent years living on a farm in Waterford and pretty much every farmer had a firearm.

Also the shooting of stray dogs in the process of worrying sheep or cattle is a very common occurrence and par for the course.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread closed while we have a look through as many posters are completely ignoring the warnings not to speculate

Anyone who has engaged in speculation - please do not complain when you get a yellow card

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Over 20 cards handed out, although some posters who were claiming not to be speculating very clearly were and some have picked up multiple cards for separate posts pretty much all for ignoring the "no speculation" instruction

What concerns me is the number of you that have to be told not to speculate. Not only is it common decency in a situation like this, but it's not the job of any of us to try and work out what happened. The relevant authorities are tasked with that

This thread will not be re-opened

Just to add lots of poste have been deleted. I know some of you were actively trying to highlight speculation - those posts that quoted posts that contained speculation have also been deleted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement