Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting incident in Kanturk, Co. Cork (Mod note in op)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

E36Ross wrote: »
    Always found Tadgh a gentleman any time i had dealings with him..... Genuinely shocked when I seen his picture on the examiner.

RIP.

I didn’t realise they were named

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

News sunk in now. Being living in Kanturk all my life and not once has the town seen such tragedy in my lifetime.
    We’ve had a few missing persons with one last year ending in tragedy too. This is on another level and The Kanturk, Castlemagner and Kilbrin communities will be reeling from this for some time to come. All these areas will get through it, it’ll take time but we will.
    I hope this is the last time anything like this happens.
    I knew the family in passing not personally. It’s just a horrendous story.
    2020 needs to fûck right off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The perpetrator often kills themselves. Sorry I don't know who that could be, but can guess.

Rest in peace. The mother/wife must be in bits god love her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Trainee accountant and solicitor, why in the name of jaysus would they be squabbling over a ****ty old bit of land..... anyways with bright futures ahead of them.
    I’ve seen farmers here now leave their farm as a cooperative between their kids, so no one owns it, it’s a business and if you want proceeds from it, you work to earn it. I think it’s fair enough.
    I’ve seen so many families fall apart because one and usually the most useless one gets left everything. Farms are especially contentious. I’d rather sell it all before I went and divide the money between my kids than have them hate each other for all eternity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

E36Ross wrote: »

Very very sad picture. That graduation probably not that long ago and a proud looking father.

As someone with brothers as siblings this story has got me really down this evening I must say. Seen in my own family how money and assets has been prioritized over family relationships and its a culture I want no part of.

So tragic. As for the mother it's hard to comprehend the level of grief facing her.

RIP all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Based on what we know so far, I would not use mental health issues as a reason for what happened today. Would appear to be more hot blooded then that.

Every time I hear the term mental health I see it as somehow excusing the actions of the person that carried out the atrocity and removing accountability. I'd just class them as evil. No excusing the mindset people have that leads to murder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Every time I hear the term mental health I see it as somehow excusing the actions of the person that carried out the atrocity and removing accountability. I'd just class them as evil. No excusing the mindset people have that leads to murder

100% agree with this, at the end of the day people still know right from wrong regardless of their "mental health", it's a cop out and a total disrespect to their victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I hope there are other children and that poor woman hasn’t just lost her entire family.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A load more speculative posts deleted

Please leave it to the authorities to determine what happened and who was responsible

Also can we not get into a situation of comparing tragic events. They are all, by definition, tragic, and it's no solace to anyone saying one "tragedy" is more "tragic" than another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What exactly happened, who did what, do we know that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What exactly happened, who did what, do we know that yet.

See previous post. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Must also say the Gardai and emergency response teams deserve a thought tonight, what an awful incident to have to witness, they’re great people really.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

May the three men Rest-In-Peace. An awful tragedy. What a cross in life for the mother to bear. Unimaginable.

Teasgasc do a lot of work with farm families on succession and inheritance. It's recognised that wills involving farm and land can be very difficult and tricky matters. It runs deep. However, what good is any farm or land if it carries such a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Perhaps a bit off topic and perhaps plain ignorant, but some seem to have an entitled attitude of what they are owed.. What they can expect on death of their parents. I think it's a terrible attitude.

People should respect their parents decisions on wills. Yes it can be hard to stomach on occasion, but it was their property, money, etc to leave, not yours to claim.
    Can be tough on the parents as well to know what the right thing to do is,
    a farm that might be in the family for generations, divide it up, leaving no one able to make a living off it, sell it off, or leave it to one son...

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Farmers get handed a golden ticket in the form of inheritance - a free farm worth hundreds of thousands, if not millions of euros. It's also a well paying job for life, but also hard work and long hours. I can understand why families might fall out over such matters. It's a pity really.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Farmers get handed a golden ticket in the form of inheritance - a free farm worth hundreds of thousands, if not millions of euros. It's also a well paying job for life, but also hard work and long hours. I can understand why families might fall out over such matters. It's a pity really.

Don't think it is that simple.

But family land is visceral from what I know.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

Yes, which is often the case when there's husbands/wives involved who have married into the situation and one thinking they're getting the rough end of the deal over the other, that's what makes this situation quiet different in that the two sons were only 22 and 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Mr_Muffin wrote:

in alot of cases the parents will get lifetime maintenance from the the young farmer , which will add up alot in 20 r 30 yrs for parents to do what they like with their money .
    and the young farmer makes a living and repeats the cycle again .
    all family members should be looked after if possible .

I am really saddened by the loss of life today , another reminder how land has a meaning to many ,more than people think ,
    poor mother / wife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

It seems very early in the day to me for people to be so sure it was over a will. The mother hardly poured all that out to a reporter this morning and I would imagine neighbours would be fairly tight lipped also. Any talk is probably just speculation. Those boys were very young doing good college degrees and their father not too old either for inheritance to be at the forefront of their minds. It seems very early in the morning too to be so wound up. Sad situation whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    thats why pre nups are especially important for farmers ,a farm should not have to be divided up just because a woman married a farmer and the marriage ends

same if the farmer is a woman BTW , its not a gender thing , while a small minority in ireland , women can of course be farmers

I’m sure a reasonable judge would look at a prenup if it was fair but I think people don’t think about the fairness of them. This is for another thread but for them to be fair loads of scenarios would have to be considered like- was there children, how much the non farm owning spouse contributed to bills/farm etc, did the non farm owning spouse take time out of the workforce to raise children and how they should be compensated for loss of earnings/career progression/pension. A lot of farms wouldn’t put money aside for these things and /or couldn’t afford them and then just label the person who wants a pay-out (for a better word) greedy.

Where as they have made sacrifices that have impacted them monetarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

Lord above mods will ye close this thread .this is an unspeakable tragedy that dosent need any more discussion over the internet by complete strangers . Is there any bit of privacy left in the world at all anymore in even the saddest of situations .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sad, just hearing about it now. The poor woman, honestly that is just horrific.

My parents had little to give us. When my dad passed away, nothing was left apart from great memories.

My mother has a small nest egg. Would I fight over it? Not a hope.

Money means nothing. Have seen other family members fall out over a bloody house. I signed away rights for inheritance as there were 5 other members involved. All 5 argued it went to court, they were left with lawyers bills.

Get you own life, depend on yourself and expect nothing. You will never be disappointed.

NSAman wrote: »

My parents had little to give us. When my dad passed away, nothing was left apart from great memories.

Money means nothing. Have seen other family members fall out over a bloody house. I signed away rights for inheritance as there were 5 other members involved. All 5 argued it went to court, they were left with lawyers bills.

Get you own life, depend on yourself and expect nothing. You will never be disappointed.

Well said, nothing is worth the trauma of what went on this morning in this case, absolutely nothing.

spurshero wrote: »
    Lord above mods will ye close this thread .this is an unspeakable tragedy that dosent need any more discussion over the internet by complete strangers . Is there any bit of privacy left in the world at all anymore in even the saddest of situations .

This is unfortunately one of many similar threads. We respond. If the Gardai and the media are allowed to talk about it, it is good to go.

I am very sure the Mods are keeping a close eye too.

And yes it is tragic. Agree on that as will most.

This is unfortunately one of many similar threads. We respond. If the Gardai and the media are allowed to talk about it, it is good to go.

I am very sure the Mods are keeping a close eye too.

And yes it is tragic. Agree on that as will most.

Yes and no one is reporting anything that isn't already out there in the media in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

Why the hell do you feel you should ever know those details? And you won't speculate ? Unbelievable.

Chill out. You may have noticed but when things like this happen people usually do find out as people clearly talk- how would the newspapers be able to report it was over an inheritance otherwise. By your reckoning why should we even really know that it happened as the perpetrator is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭conor05

NSAman wrote: »

Spot on!

Imagine trying to find happiness waiting on a will to come your way.

Becks610 wrote: »
    Chill out. You may have noticed but when things like this happen people usually do find out as people clearly talk- how would the newspapers be able to report it was over an inheritance otherwise. By your reckoning why should we even really know that it happened as the perpetrator is dead.

Knowing that a tragedy happened is one thing but saying that you won't "speculate " on the finer details until you are certain of them is totally different. Have you managed to "hear" all the private details behind similar tragedies because I certainly haven't and rightly so, rumours and speculation are one thing but I'm sure very few know the exact details apart from close family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭maebee

My parents died when my brother and I were in our early 20s. Family home sale was split 50/50 and we both did very well out of it. It set us up for life. We had no financial worries. I'd give every penny back to have had my parents in my life through my (difficult) 20s, happy 30s, 40s and up to today. Money and land are not worth the loss of lives, in whatever circumstances, imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement