Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting incident in Kanturk, Co. Cork (Mod note in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

maebee wrote: »
    My parents died when my brother and I were in our early 20s. Family home sale was split 50/50 and we both did very well out of it. It set us up for life. We had no financial worries. I'd give every penny back to have had my parents in my life through my (difficult) 20s, happy 30s, 40s and up to today. Money and land are not worth the loss of lives, in whatever circumstances, imo.

Yes exactly, the brother in this situation obviously only say the dollar signs, tragic in the extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

#blamewomen #eventhoughtheshooterisalwaysmale

Not always the woman. The daughter who marries a guy who feels entitled can be a problem aswell. Greed takes different forms.

ppn wrote: »
    Not always the woman. The daughter who marries a guy who feels entitled can be a problem aswell. Greed takes different forms.

Oh absolutely, I've seen several cases of that happening over the years, can destroy the whole family too, no winners in that sort of situation. That was my point earlier about this tragic situation, two brothers in their early 20's falling out over a future inheritance and for it to end this way, unbelievable in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

My heart goes out to the mother, may all three RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

ppn wrote: »

Completely fair, but you'll not often see daughters commit familicide at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,821 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How does the law work with regard to gun storage regulations? Can numerous licence holders have their guns stored in a single common cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Last week’s was terrible too.
    Man being woke up and told his wife was dead and then they find the child dead too.
    Awful tragedy.

Link? Missed this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I don't know why this thread is allowed to remain open
    Even that yoke the journal doesn't allow comments on cases like this

Link? Missed this story.

She jumped off a bridge at the Strawberry Fields in Dublin, when the Gardai called to the house to tell the husband they found she had killed her little baby who was sleeping in his cot, another tragic senario.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How does the law work with regard to gun storage regulations? Can numerous licence holders have their guns stored in a single common cabinet?

Yes. The point of storage is to keep guns safe from people who shouldn't have them. Unsupervised children, buglers etc. Not the licence holders. 3 adjacent cabinets with 3 separate keys would achieve very little in difference to a single larger cabinet.

Also the people jumping to the ban guns as a solution are utterly clueless. I mean no offence, but it's a completely out of touch sentiment. Firearms didn't cause this tragedy, it was human action. Had the firearm not been there, a dozen other means to do the same existed within arms reach.
    Take a minute to think and look around your own home. If the victims died from stabbing or blunt force trauma would you be calling for a ban on kitchen knives and gold clubs? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

The irish obsession with money and property. I've never owned a house. Rented all the time. Never wanted to be committed to one place.

I find myself back in the family home now in my late 40's. I have 3 siblings. I found out that the family house is being left to me. If I ever thought it would cause a moments conflict I would happily sell and split or do whatever the others wanted. Nothing is more important than family. Certainly not bricks and mortar.

Awfully tragic event for nothing of importance. RIP.

Heckler wrote: »
    The irish obsession with money and property. I've never owned a house. Rented all the time. Never wanted to be committed to one place.

I find myself back in the family home now in my late 40's. I have 3 siblings. I found out that the family house is being left to me. If I ever thought it would cause a moments conflict I would happily sell and split or do whatever the others wanted. Nothing is more important than family. Certainly not bricks and mortar.

Well said, that's why today's events are beyond comprehension, how in the name of all that's holy (if you believe in that sort of thing) could you shoot your father and brother dead over land no matter what monetary value it had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

GoneHome wrote: »
    Well said, that's why today's events are beyond comprehension, how in the name of all that's holy (if you believe in that sort of thing) could you shoot your father and brother dead over land no matter what monetary value it had.

It's not been established if there was one, two or indeed three shooters in this case.

It's not been established if there was one, two or indeed three shooters in this case.

Ah for the love of god it's very obvious what happened, just do a google search on today's news and you'll see it from very relatable sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Very sad. All over property apparently. They can't take it with them to the grave. My heart goes out to the surviving family and friends. What a terrible tragedy. RIP.

I admire your attitude. Unfortunately I have seen many families ruthlessly pursue property resulting in fractured relationships. I saw how relations of mine ( cousins) behaved towards me in order to grab whatever they could. It must be heartbreaking if siblings behave like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

They probably won't be happy being left to just you.?

sasta le wrote: »
    They probably won't be happy being left to just you.?

Hopefully no resultant section 117 application due to this....

God almighty just reading more about the whole incident there and it seems that having shot his brother dead he kept his father hostage for hours after

God almighty just reading more about the whole incident there and it seems that having shot his brother dead he kept his father hostage for hours after

Whoever committed the murders was obviously mentally unwell. Dont assume these were the actions of a rational person's mind.

• Advertisement

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Whoever committed the murder was obviously mentally unwell. Dont assume these were the actions of a rational person's mind.

But that's the whole thing you see he was obsessed about the will that the parents had made, leaving all the land to his brother, have you ever watched "The Field"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Whoever committed the murders was obviously mentally unwell. Dont assume these were the actions of a rational person's mind.

Or he was a totally sane and mentally sound person who lost his temper when there were fire arms nearby.

I don’t like this conflation of mental illness and horrific violence. Plenty of mentally ill people out there, most don’t kill their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Mellor wrote: »
    Yes. The point of storage is to keep guns safe from people who shouldn't have them. Unsupervised children, buglers etc. Not the licence holders. 3 adjacent cabinets with 3 separate keys would achieve very little in difference to a single larger cabinet.

Also the people jumping to the ban guns as a solution are utterly clueless. I mean no offence, but it's a completely out of touch sentiment. Firearms didn't cause this tragedy, it was human action. Had the firearm not been there, a dozen other means to do the same existed within arms reach.
    Take a minute to think and look around your own home. If the victims died from stabbing or blunt force trauma would you be calling for a ban on kitchen knives and gold clubs? I doubt it.

Firearms didn’t cause this tragedy? Well they played a major fücking part in it. There’s a good chance all of them would be alive still if he was swinging a baseball bat or a golf club at them rather than firing a gun. I know which I’d rather take my chances against.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Firearms didn’t cause this tragedy? Well they played a major fücking part in it. There’s a good chance all of them would be alive still if he was swinging a baseball bat or a golf club at them rather than firing a gun. I know which I’d rather take my chances against.

Yes exactly, 3 guns in the house and your man gone off his head having heard he wasn't getting the land/inheratance, brutal way to deal with it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

any links to where you're reading all this please?

KiKi III wrote: »
    Or he was a totally sane and mentally sound person who lost his temper when there were fire arms nearby.

I don’t like this conflation of mental illness and horrific violence. Plenty of mentally ill people out there, most don’t kill their families.

Yes I fully agree most with mental illness are not violent and nor did I ever state otherwise. However, according to Psychiatry Literature I reviewed, up to 10% of people who commit homicide do in fact have mental illness and a majority of those who commit familicide do in fact suffer from mental illness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

The mother lucky to be alive

any links to where you're reading all this please?

Well there was a media blackout from 8.30 this morning, after the first victim been found at 7.30, then no update until about 2 pm this afternoon as negotiations were ongoing, I've seen reports on several news sites of that since, actually got a whatsapp message from a member of my extended family at 10 am this morning while the whole thing was going on.

sasta le wrote: »
    The mother lucky to be alive

Absolutely she would have been the next victim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

would a MOD just close this thread..............................................................

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement