Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020-21 Emirates FA Cup - mod note in op 24.01.21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ah lads, it's a Mickley mouse cup, I know it a big deal for utd but for some bigger teams not so much. Congrats though, could this be a oles best chance of a cup.

Ah the bitterness is unreal and yet not one bit surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

RasTa wrote: »
    What's the point of Thaigo in this Liverpool squad btw? Obviously a great player but what does he do? Is that still no wins when he starts?

Well for thr second week in a row he bossed United midfeild this time at there own ground amd hes not even fully fit
    Bizzare comment in two games Liverpool midfeild have been superior and with make shift midfeilds,

Yes United the game fairly but that was down to Liverpools CBs or more so lack of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

yabadabado wrote:
    Ah the bitterness is unreal and yet not one bit surprising.

Is there bitterness, can't say I've noticed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Ah lads, it's a Mickley mouse cup, I know it a big deal for utd but for some bigger teams not so much. Congrats though, could this be a oles best chance of a cup.

tenor.gif?itemid=3722726

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Well for thr second week in a row he bossed United midfeild this time at there own ground amd hes not even fully fit
    Bizzare comment in two games Liverpool midfeild have been superior and with make shift midfeilds,

Yes United the game fairly but that was down to Liverpools CBs or more so lack of

Bossed?

If that's what qualifies as "bossed" these days, football is in a dire situation.

Bossed......Jesus Christ.....you couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Aah it's more about beating this greatest team that has ever played the game with a team full if world class players who may not have a massive collection of medals but as individuals are the greatest ever seen.
    I mean only a couple if weeks ago Fabihno and Thiago were as good as Keane and Scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I said congrats. How is that bitterness.

Bossed?

And yet won neither game....

You think he bossed the midfeild 2 weeks in a row?
    Please tell me you aren't serious or you didn't watch either game.

• Advertisement

I think perspective is needed,
    Its a bad patch with multiple injuries to hugley important players no need for over reaction

Most of the over reaction seems to be coming from United fans, nobody has won anything yet theres a long road to go,

United themselves could still end up throphy less and dont forget its still possible they finish behind Liverpool,

Gloating has started strangle early

Liverpool spent 20 years celebrating winning the league in October

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Bossed what? I've seen many players boss a game over the years but his performance tonight would not be one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bossing games usually results in a victory. Neither of these happened the past week.

He's starting a lot of games for someone who is not fit. Seems like a luxury signing that wasn't needed after Lovern leaving.

• yabadabado wrote: »

30 minutes in the first half at Anfield means he bossed two games.
    He was absolutely anonymous for the second half

And was out and out ****e today

And is the biggest fouler Liverpool have signed in quite some time

It's this level of overhype that makes it quite comical to be fair :pac:

Maybe it's a typo - He tossed the game with that ducking manoeuvre at the decisive freekick?

RasTa wrote:
    He's starting a lot of games for someone who is not fit. Seems like a luxury signing that wasn't needed after Lovern leaving.

If only they'd signed Ben Mee

• Advertisement

Maybe it's a typo - He tossed the game with that ducking manoeuvre at the decisive freekick?

There you go, you're a better man than me at understanding what was meant

I think it must be predictive text .
    No idea what he meant to type but it couldn't be bossed.

yabadabado wrote:
    I think it must be predictive text . No idea what he meant to type but it couldn't be bossed.

Maybe he meant "Lossed" or "Flossed"

And these two world class full backs bosses the 2 games as well I suppose ?
    Rashford and the Kid destroyed them Robertson even shouting like a playground child at Greenwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Fitz* wrote: »

Liverpool showed improvements but a costly error to lose it, and will rue missed chances, especially the Milner one. The 30 mins after 2-1, they were very good and much the better team. United couldn't create bar kicking it long for the sprinters to run into space.
    Yeah I must have missed all the intricate build up play that's lead to all Mane and Salah's goals the last few years. Not a long ball in behind to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thiago bossed the game.

Trent and Williams were like watching Cafu and Lucio in their pomps.

It was a great game of fifa. How did the IRL game go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

brinty wrote: »
    Was it a mickey mouse cup that time Liverpool tried comparing their treble of league, fa and uefa cup to champions league, fa cup and league title????

It's still the same competition United weren't bothered entering in 2000

Robson99 wrote:
    And these two world class full backs bosses the 2 games as well I suppose ? Rashford and the Kid destroyed them Robertson even shouting like a playground child at Greenwood

They're the best full backs in the world, don't forget it....

Trent might be even be the best right back of all time

paulie21 wrote:
    It's still the same competition United weren't bothered entering in 2000

The same year the FA asked them to go cos it was going to help them be awarded a world cup ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fitz* wrote: »
    Tribalism is bad and you and others and very guilty of it here again. Bias clouding judgement.

Have a look at your recent post and thanking history.

I won't kick you when your down. X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

brinty wrote: »
    The same year the FA asked them to go cos it was going to help them be awarded a world cup ....

Could of played the kids. Liverpool had to in the league cup

brinty wrote:

paulie21 wrote:
    Could of played the kids. Liverpool had to in the league cup

See my original post

Lads lads it was the fa cup, you are embarrassing yourself. The fa Cup come on, congrats and move on, nobody really cares, half you lot admitted it before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Lads lads it was the fa cup, you are embarrassing yourself. The fa Cup come on, congrats and move on, nobody really cares, half you lot admitted it before the game.

You seem to say that after the fourth round every year lately

You seem to say that after the fourth round every year lately

Exactly nobody gives a ****. Big chance for ole though to win it.

• Advertisement

brinty wrote:
    Was it a mickey mouse cup that time Liverpool tried comparing their treble of league, fa and uefa cup to champions league, fa cup and league title????

niallo27 wrote:

See my original post niallo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: locking this for 5 mins

MOD: This is not the my club is better than your club thread.

It is a thread to discuss the 2020-21 FA Cup.

Posters should post about the cup, about the games and make an effort to make points about same.

Please respect other posters, even their right to a biased view, once posters stick to giving opinions on the thread title it will help avoid warning for flaming or and other dusruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ignoring the result i think it was an excellent game of football.

Taking the result into account it was a glorious game.

yabadabado wrote: »

70-30 last week today in your own ground 60-40
    Its quite clear Liverpool have dominated the ball in midfield, They have controlled that area in both games regardless of the scores that just a fact

Last week, Thiago had twice as many passes as any United player, So yes he bosaed the midfeild,

United defend brilliantly last week and Liverpool where poor in the final third and today Liverpool where poor at CB and United tool advantage

But yes Thiago bossed/ controlled the midfeild in both games im not sure how you cluld even argue that,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Last time I checked the number of goals scored decided a game rather than who had more possession. Hundreds of short passes around the midfield without creating anything is great for the stats, but not much use in winning a game.

Great win for United of course it is and even sweetheart its against Liverpool
    But it doesnt matter a fu*k unless they go win it

Same as Champions league Liverpool fans glad to see United out but what does it matter unless Liverpool go win it,

If United win the FA cup then rightly so todays win becomes even bigger and historic

Is that fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Its quite clear Liverpool have dominated the ball in midfield, They have controlled that area in both games regardless of the scores that just a fact

Last week, Thiago had twice as many passes as any United player, So yes he bosaed the midfeild,

United defend brilliantly last week and Liverpool where poor in the final third and today Liverpool where poor at CB and United tool advantage

But yes Thiago bossed/ controlled the midfeild in both games im not sure how you cluld even argue that,

United were rarely stressed today or last week. Allowing the other team to retain possession is not the other team bossing it. Playing short passes back and forth is not a player bossing it.

Possession means the square route of eff all if there is no end product and no end result.

Last time I checked the number of goals scored decided a game rather than who had more possession. Hundreds of short passes around the midfield without creating anything is great for stats, but no

t much use in winning a game.

I would not dispute that

Someone asked what does Thaigo do, my response was control /boss the midfeild which he has done,

Winning the game depends on more factors lile defence
    /attack of course it does,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Have a look at your recent post and thanking history.

I won't kick you when your down. X

Right. All I said is that there is double standards here.

Mane won the ball. He followed through. That happens loads. The player got booked. It's a contact sport. Not every single tackle where a player falls over after contact deserves a red card. You can't give a red card for when someone wins the ball. It's a different story if the ball is not won and the player just takes out the player.

As I said, there was lots of posters saying that 'getting a touch on the ball' overrides a foul, as example the Bruno vs WBA incident. So if that logic was applied today, then how would a red card be given for actually getting the ball.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thoroughly entertaining game, especially compared to last week. Dodgy defending on both sides, then a moment of magic to win it.

Think United did enough to edge it.

Liverpool need to buy a damn centre back.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So if your midfield is so good i guess results cant be down to midfield missing players then thats been claimed ? Eitherway I'm happy if thats thiago playing well he won't be scaring many teams apart from the Aston Villa kids.

I dont think any team can draw on examples of been better in that game but where id say it was won where United didnt panic for a change and earned the breaks.

70-30 last week today in your own ground 60-40 Its quite clear Liverpool have dominated the ball in midfield, They have controlled that area in both games regardless of the scores that just a fact

It's an opinion, and bossing a game means winning.

Roy Keane bossed Juve in 99, United won. That's bossing a game in my opinion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I would not dispute that

Someone asked what does Thaigo do, my response was control /boss the midfeild which he has done,

Winning the game depends on more factors lile defence
    /attack of course it does,
    Hundreds of short passes around the midfield leading to nothing when the opposition is letting you have the ball is not bossing the midfield. Bossing the midfield is what the likes of Keane and Vieira used to do.

I'll say it honestly, that game showed Liverpool have to go out and get a centre back. D***ing about with youngsters and central midfielders will kill their season.

Should be calling Burnley already about getting in Ben Mee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

DCL 1-0

If that's bossing then I'd expect every team Liverpool play will hope he performs the same as he did today.

Thiago did little of note,some nice tidy play but no team would be worried about him if that is him bossing it.

A team can have majority of possession but that's isn't much good when most of it is in positions that aren't threatening.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Thoroughly entertaining game, especially compared to last week. Dodgy defending on both sides, then a moment of magic to win it.

Think United did enough to edge it.

Liverpool need to buy a damn centre back.

I agree with this. Quality cup game.

Also think that United need to work a lot more on patterns of play if they are going to pass out from the back, that second goal they gave away should not happen in general but certainly not against a side so good at pressing and winning any loose balls.

Re CB, it is a position teams can't try to just 'get by' with youth or midfield players covering. The fact it is taking key players out of position, leaving FBs not covered just makes it worse when Liverpool are such a system orientated team (in a good way when all are fit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

United were rarely stressed today or last week. Allowing the other team to retain possession is not the other team bossing it. Playing short passes back and forth is not a player bossing it.

Possession means the square route of eff all if there is no end product and no end result.

To be fair, it wasnt just possession. Salah alone forced Henderson into 2 saves, as well as scoring 2 goals himself, Milner had a great opportunity to score. Trent played a nice ball across the 6 yard box in the first minute that didn't result in a shot but was still a good opportunity. Actually United's first goal came from a Pogba tackle where if he didn't make it, Liverpool had 2 free men in the box in Salah & Trent. Which came just after a similar opportunity but the final ball was cut out.

I know these can be balanced off against the Cavani header off the post, Pogba's free header and Greenwood shooting but I wouldn't say that Liverpool were just tippy tappying it around the back.

DM_7 wrote:
    Re CB, it is a position teams can't try to just 'get by' with youth or midfield players covering. The fact it is taking key players out of position, leaving FBs not covered just makes it worse when Liverpool are such a system orientated team (in a good way when all are fit).

Exactly this, why are they ignoring it.

I sound like a broken record but they seriously need to go get Ben Mee

• Advertisement
Advertisement