Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermenter *very* foamy

Options
  • 26-10-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Brewed a stout kit over the weekend and the fermenter is incredibly foamy - it's even bubbled up through the airlock and filled it. Should I loosen the lid to release some pressure or maybe take the airlock + bung out and cover with kitchen towel until the foam head subsides?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Brewed a stout kit over the weekend and the fermenter is incredibly foamy - it's even bubbled up through the airlock and filled it. Should I loosen the lid to release some pressure or maybe take the airlock + bung out and cover with kitchen towel until the foam head subsides?

Did you leave much headspace?

Definitely best to clean and resanitise the airlock. Not ideal either but you could scoop some foam out with a sanitised spoon and then try and put the lid back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

There was about 3" of headspace above the brew (it's a standard youngs 25L bucket) so about 19% of empty space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

There was about 3" of headspace above the brew (it's a standard youngs 25L bucket) so about 19% of empty space.

How warm is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

mordeith wrote: »
    How warm is it?

Thermometer has it about 24 C. Reading online about foaming overflow seems to suggest a "blowoff tube". Might right something up with some tubing and a spare demijohn I have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Thermometer has it about 24 C. Reading online about foaming overflow seems to suggest a "blowoff tube". Might right something up with some tubing and a spare demijohn I have.

That's too warm. Should ideally be around 17/18c for a stout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Some of the brews I use I don't use an airlock for the first few days, I run a tube to a saucepan of sanitiser and and keep the end of the tube under the sanitiser weighed down with a spoon. I add an airlock when it settles down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I never use a an airlock anymore, a blow off tube will keep things from getting messy though.
    24 is way too high though, keep it at 18 or so in future.

Advertisement