Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sent money to the wrong account

Options
  • 26-10-2020 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I sent a payment from my Halifax account to my husbands bank of ireland account (or so I thought) I entered the last digit wrong..I have contacted Halifax and they have filled out a form to request for the money to be returned. Will I get it back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Paula,

Thanks for reaching out to us here today on Boards.ie.

This would need to be looked into by the sending bank. Rest assured once you have requested a recall with your own bank, this will be investigated internally to try retrieve these funds for you.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Paula20201111

Yes I rang my bank last night and they filled out a form to be sent to the bank of ireland. I was just wondering could the account that the money went into just refuse to give it back

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭boetstark

Yes I rang my bank last night and they filled out a form to be sent to the bank of ireland. I was just wondering could the account that the money went into just refuse to give it back

Normally debit authority is requested from account holder at receiving bank.
    Where debit authority is not forthcoming a no trans can be put on the account pending investigation. Unfortunately alot of the time money is withdrawn or transferred before the error is uncovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Paula20201111

And what happens if the money was withdrawn or transferred?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭boetstark

And what happens if the money was withdrawn or transferred?

Not sure what the ultimate end is regarding money back. Cases I have been involved in either gave receiving party a 30 day notice letter , ie bank is closing down your account, or offered the customer an overdraft to pay back the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Thanks for getting back to us here Paula. As the funds were sent from Halifax you would need to confirm with Halifax what would happen in this case. I'm afraid we would not be in a position to provide further information on this. 

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Do BoI UK account numbers not have a check digit? Surely entering the last digit wrong should not send the money into another account, but should result in a returned payment? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

steve-o wrote: »
    Do BoI UK account numbers not have a check digit? Surely entering the last digit wrong should not send the money into another account, but should result in a returned payment? 
    Hi there, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today. If a payee is set up on the account and the IBAN is invalid the funds will be rejected and returned to the sending account. However this can take a number of days to be returned to the account. 

We hope this helps and that you remain safe and well. 

Thanks Jen

Advertisement