Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Infrastructure Suggestions/Changes/Updates Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Just thought this would be an interesting idea.

What suggestions etc.. would you give for parts on your commute, what would you like to see done.

I would love to see this 'island' thing removed, it serves no purpose at all. It's actually making the junction needlessly dangerous for cyclist (and I think the idea of it is to somehow help cyclists!)

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3454736,-6.2484478,3a,75y,84.14h,78.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSrtWCl-OHgk8s4xcEvAndw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The idea of protected intersections is well proven in NL where it's actually done properly. Gives the rider protected space that drivers can't invade, slows turning drivers down and prevents them from sweeping around the corner at high speed (a ridiculous relic of road design that belongs back in the 1950s)

However - That's some awful cack-handed implementation there - island is directly in the way of a rider going straight on so makes it seem like they're now crossing the intersecting street, instead of continuing on on the street they were on. Effectively takes right of way from the rider and awards it to any car turning left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not to mention that coming from the quays involves you waiting quite a while at the lights more often than not and a sea of pedestrians too at the same time, and going towards the quay northbond in the new contraflow lane, the lane just ends on the pavement, so presumably you're supposed to dismount to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What suggestions etc.. would you give for parts on your commute, what would you like to see done.

I would love to see this 'island' thing removed, it serves no purpose at all. It's actually making the junction needlessly dangerous for cyclist (and I think the idea of it is to somehow help cyclists!)

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3454736,-6.2484478,3a,75y,84.14h,78.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSrtWCl-OHgk8s4xcEvAndw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
    Love the colour scheme on that Cube though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was thinking of a similar thread just now regarding infrastructure updates.

First off, I came across this tweet which contains a submission from Labour Councillor Alison Gillilerand who allegedly wants "Clean, safe, green communities" but then submits a pile of crap to DCC regarding the proposed cycle lane on Dublin's Griffith Avenue - she wins a round of cycle bingo.

https://twitter.com/Ste_Mc_Lean/status/1320737243510747136

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

heh, she does appear in the thread and kinda apologises - seems she was sent the questions by a consituent and submitted them without any modification. you'd think she'd have more cop than that?

• Advertisement

In terms of what I would like to make my commute* safer, I would like the RSA to have a proper media campaign about cyclists and the law because frankly, far too many drivers are unaware about the laws (and reasoning) in terms of a bicyclists road positioning, use of cycle lanes, helmets, high-viz and so on.
    I think before we start making changes within the urban areas, we need to make sure that other road users are made aware of the situation (and that cars don't have priority over all else).

For my own commute, I hate when I'm travelling west on the Nangor Road and want to join the newly built cycle lane from the Profile Park roundabout. To join the cycle lane, I must leave the roundabout via a roundabout entrance but in the evenings there will more than likely be a car there.
    I could travel along the road but as it is, traffic can drastically speed up there.
    I contacted SDCC about it and the engineer who eventually replied told me that I should get off my bike and cross the roundabout on foot. Obviously not someone who takes pride in their work :rolleyes:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3178776,-6.4401657,3a,25.1y,329.24h,80.85t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1spH2IpWUdrudpKj6zgEcp0w!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DpH2IpWUdrudpKj6zgEcp0w%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D325.53323%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
    It would also b great if they had a road sweeper clean the debris off the cycle path. Gravel and other stuff gets thrown up by the cars and is not removed. Again, I reported it to the council who did nothing.

* when I wasn't working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

If you're interested in updates in Dublin, this is a pretty comprehensive if sprawling tracker for projects - thanks to the chair of Dublin Cycling Campaign:

https://trello.com/b/dps7lepq/infrastructure-projects

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/concerns-over-cost-halt-20m-north-dublin-city-cycle-path-1.4391550

Well this happened. The Fairview to Amiens st route I think is the busiest cycling route in the country. They've been talking about this since 2012, so I'm pretty disappointed to say the least, but not at all surprised.
    Coming out of the city centre via Fairview is a white knuckle ride every time. Between watching car doors on all the cars parked right next to the painted bike "lane", and having bus wing mirrors stroking your hair as they furiously overtake you, it's an absolute nightmare of a stretch of road. And they're still going to do nothing about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/concerns-over-cost-halt-20m-north-dublin-city-cycle-path-1.4391550

Well this happened. The Fairview to Amiens st route I think is the busiest cycling route in the country. They've been talking about this since 2012, so I'm pretty disappointed to say the least, but not at all surprised.
    Coming out of the city centre via Fairview is a white knuckle ride every time. Between watching car doors on all the cars parked right next to the painted bike "lane", and having bus wing mirrors stroking your hair as they furiously overtake you, it's an absolute nightmare of a stretch of road. And they're still going to do nothing about it!

Including IW was always going to do this. Multiple infra projects are being harpooned by them :|

If they just got rid of the parking they could improve things overnight, a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ED E wrote: »
    Including IW was always going to do this. Multiple infra projects are being harpooned by them :|
    sounds like a massive amount of scope creep. a 'well, if you're going to work on the road surface, we may as well do the water mains too. and the taxi lane. and the electricity. and the fibre cables. and the feng shui'.

and you end up with 'bike lane cripples national debt'.

Another good infrastructure suggestion would be for councils to not accept fag-packet designs from objectors as in the case with the proposed Sandymound cycle lanes which 70% of submissions were in faviour of...

https://twitter.com/yascaoimhin/status/1321802468989247490

ooh I'd say this hurt - the Sandymount "honestly we love cycling" anti-cycle path group just got their asses served after submitting the above fag packet crap...

https://twitter.com/dlrcycling/status/1321918471597363201

Fair play to DLRCC for writing that up. I still feel that facts and figures mean nothing to anti-cycling/anti-change/pro-motorist people, I've seen enough idiotic vitriol out there who just wont give up any space for cars no matter what.
    Hopefully DCC are listening though, the fact that they're giving fag packet plans the time of day is worrying though, there must be some important people in that lobby group, I wonder if any ministers or TDs live in Sandymount?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If they just got rid of the parking they could improve things overnight, a no brainer.

No it wouldn't improve things, it would make it worse. Multiple cars park on the footpath along Fairview Park on a daily basis. The Gardaí choose to ignore this.
    If you remove the parking bays it just results in more cars parking on the footpath.

Effects wrote: »
    No it wouldn't improve things, it would make it worse. Multiple cars park on the footpath along Fairview Park on a daily basis. The Gardaí choose to ignore this.
    If you remove the parking bays it just results in more cars parking on the footpath.

I meant on the other side of the road, coming out of the city. Parking runs all the way from the bridge to Malahide Road, it's dangerous for cyclists.
    I don't know why we don't have mini bollards in these places anyway to stop footpath parking, they should be in all suburban estates too.
    That's how it is in Spanish cities anyway.

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but if anyone lives in and around St Anne's park in Dublin, where I've lived most of my life, I requested to DCC a couple of times that bike parking be put at the Sybil Hill entrance of the park. There has been literally nowhere to park bikes there in all my 40 years unless you lift your bike up and attach it to railings, or lock it to the one signpost when you enter the park. For all the people that go jogging there and play sports it's ridiculous.
    Anyway the other day I saw they had put a few sheffield stands there, which is great, I knew I had a purpose in life!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I meant on the other side of the road, coming out of the city. Parking runs all the way from the bridge to Malahide Road, it's dangerous for cyclists.

Ah ok, I get you now. To be honest, I'd be worried about small businesses along that stretch if people can't pull in easily.

But it is a really bad section for cycling. Just yesterday I noticed a van pulled in blocking the cycle lane, beside Four Star Pizza. five minutes later a UPS van pulled in behind the first van. They then spent about ten minutes exchanging packages. Meanwhile, multiple bikes have to move into the bus lane to go around them, and also deal with people speeding up the bus lane in cars, skipping the queue for the left turn up Malahide Road.

Effects wrote: »
    Ah ok, I get you now. To be honest, I'd be worried about small businesses along that stretch if people can't pull in easily.

But it is a really bad section for cycling. Just yesterday I noticed a van pulled in blocking the cycle lane, beside Four Star Pizza. five minutes later a UPS van pulled in behind the first van. They then spent about ten minutes exchanging packages. Meanwhile, multiple bikes have to move into the bus lane to go around them, and also deal with people speeding up the bus lane in cars, skipping the queue for the left turn up Malahide Road.

Seriously that stretch of road is so bad, there is no way people should be able to pull in there to pick things up. I don't think that's where most of their business comes from anyway, it would be more so from people walking/cycling there or getting on and off buses, from what I've observed over the decades I've been passing through there.

i'm getting facebook ads from that STC crowd now.

• Advertisement

i'm getting facebook ads from that STC crowd now.
    ...so their budget is being wasted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

...so their budget is being wasted :D

If you click in, does it cost them more?

If you click in, does it cost them more?
    Not sure - with Google ads which I had on a number of websites, there was next to no transparency on how the money is allocated to me as a publisher. It depended on the advertiser's budget. I believe that the advertiser can decide how much to spend on each ad shown and also on each ad click.
    In one day, I could have had 200 clicks on one site giving me €1 and one click on another site might give me €5.
    I'm sure FB is similar.

What surprises me more is how a committee of concerned residents can afford something like Facebook advertising. Also should campaigning like this be noted by DCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Another suggestion

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3359932,-6.2569804,3a,75y,320.92h,90.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc_KJMWvz5H3b0wMEhfhgwA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This junction here on Leeson St, Stephens Green, has cycling traffic lights, you can't see them in the video.

However if your turning right, the green light for cyclists is only on the traffic light closest the cycling lane, if you turning right and stopped you actually have no idea you can go ahead.

I suggest putting a cycling traffic light on the opposite side of the junction is cyclists know they can proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

First off, I came across this tweet which contains a submission from Labour Councillor Alison Gillilerand who allegedly wants "Clean, safe, green communities" but then submits a pile of crap to DCC regarding the proposed cycle lane on Dublin's Griffith Avenue - she wins a round of cycle bingo

Not sure if this has been mentioned...

On the Glasnevin end of Griffith avenue about a month or two ago a bunch of plastic bollards appeared and fresh paint on the cycle lane as you come up towards the lights at the junction with the Ballymun road.... A very strange place for them to suddenly appear out of nowhere...
    The issue is now because of the autumn fall the leaves aren't been swept or the local residents are brushing the leaf pile onto the road meaning the cycle lane bollards meant to protect the cycle lane are now causing the lane to be too blocked up to use.... :(

NIMBY TD who allegedly is an active cyclist is against making a dangerous junction safer so that kids can cycle to school...

https://twitter.com/dlrcycling/status/1322978663932022786

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Tomorrow is the last day for submissions on the proposed Dun Laoghaire Rathdown cycle routes (“Sea to Mountains,” “Park to Park”, and “Mountains to Metals”).

[url] https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/infrastructure-climate-change/dlr-safe-walking-cycling-routes-consultation/[/url]

I’ve submitted my views. I was reminded to by an auld one in an Yaris on Deansgrange Road, who gave me a torrent of horn and verbal abuse for daring to hold her up for 10 seconds on her way to a red light (twice). I also had the nerve to be wearing black at 2 in the afternoon on a sunny day (she presumably couldn’t see my bright yellow helmet either). She also told me she was a Garda, and threatened to “arrest me immediately”, and shouted out the window at me as she passed me again half way up Clonkeen Road. Thanks Garda, I’d forgotten about the submission deadline until I met you!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Breezer wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the last day for submissions on the proposed Dun Laoghaire Rathdown cycle routes (“Sea to Mountains,” “Park to Park”, and “Mountains to Metals”).

[url] https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/infrastructure-climate-change/dlr-safe-walking-cycling-routes-consultation/[/url]

I’ve submitted my views. I was reminded to by an auld one in an Yaris on Deansgrange Road, who gave me a torrent of horn and verbal abuse for daring to hold her up for 10 seconds on her way to a red light (twice). I also had the nerve to be wearing black at 2 in the afternoon on a sunny day (she presumably couldn’t see my bright yellow helmet either). She also told me she was a Garda, and threatened to “arrest me immediately”, and shouted out the window at me as she passed me again half way up Clonkeen Road. Thanks Garda, I’d forgotten about the submission deadline until I met you!
    Impersonating a Garda is a specific offence, if it ever happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Impersonating a Garda is a specific offence, if it ever happens again.

Couldn’t be bothered really. She was at least 70 and she actually passed me properly, albeit with much fanfare and only because I’d forced her to.

It’s a nasty section of road though. Lots of parking on both sides, and some blind bends. The proposed cycling infrastructure would solve that problem, and would hopefully be of a similar standard to that already put in place in other parts of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Wow what a difference this thread has made so far. This has now been removed, well it's work in progress but the idiotic stump has been removed!

Advertisement